Media Megaforum

Futuristic Men In Tights
blindsk at 12:57AM, Jan. 26, 2011
(online)
An article came out recently confirming a Robin Hood-esque story placed in the setting of a futuristic (hopefully cyberpunk) dystopia world. How close it will relate to the folklore we've come to know and love, who's to say. At first I was all for it, but then two things basically killed it for me.

First off, written by the people that wrote the Matrix series. Oh boy. At first I thought the W “bros.” were brilliant, but ever since that one stroke, it's been downhill.

Secondly, guess who's probably being casted for Robin Hood? That's right, Will Smith. I honestly laughed when I realized he's playing a character derived from an Angle Saxon hero. Oh well, they might be able to pull that one off with the film taking place in a future world, so it's not that much of a reach. And then I laughed even harder when I remembered the fact that he originally was called to do the Matrix and declined. Is he looking for redemption here?

Anyway, I'd like to see what people here thought about this idea. Like I said, “futuristic Robin Hood” definitely caught my attention. But then I grew more and more disappointed as I read the direction it's heading. Maybe you'll agree, maybe not.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
mlai at 1:35AM, Jan. 26, 2011
(online)
Oh you can't criticize “blind casting” of a non-white actor in the role of a traditionally Caucasian character. You would be labeled as an ignorant racist.

But in this case, it depends on the specific quote. Was the movie hyped as a futuristic Robin Hood retelling? Or was it simply a Robin Hood style story but actually has nothing to do with Robin Hood plotwise or themewise?

That said, the presence of Will Smith marks the movie as another mindless popcorn flick, and it wouldn't matter what role he's race-bending. I'm glad he wasn't considered for Matrix 1, LMAO. That's a classic no matter how bad the sequels were.

The only person I heard they wished they had for Matrix 1 was Brandon Lee.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
Genejoke at 2:24AM, Jan. 26, 2011
(online)
Brandon Lee for Neo, outrageous idea, one he was dead then and two, hew mixed race and that would have been an afront to god, or maybe the architect.

No in this case will smith as a robin hood like character in the future… no problem only P imagine it will suck anyway regardless of the leads ethnicity.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
bravo1102 at 4:55AM, Jan. 26, 2011
(online)
“Future Robin hood” means all bets are off as far as casting goes. It doesn't matter if he's black or white. This is not the shoehorned in Moor characters from in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves it's the future. Everybody can be anything. After all the only way a white man could kiss a black woman on TV was on show about the future. (Kirk and Uhura)

Robin Hood was not Anglo-Saxon versus Norman that's nonsense from much later. In all likelihood he was from the 14th century when the people were fighting high taxes because the English king was off fighting the French. Or he was a romanticized Highwayman who were every where. That's why that odd bunch of people banded together to travel to Canterbury in that work of Chaucer's.

I wish more people knew about the only decent historical version of Robin Hood (Patrick Bergen and Uma Thurman) that was eclipsed by that abortion by Kevin Costner. The old TV show with Richard Greene was better than Kevin Costner.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
ozoneocean at 5:41AM, Jan. 26, 2011
(online)
bravo1102
I wish more people knew about the only decent historical version of Robin Hood (Patrick Bergen and Uma Thurman) that was eclipsed by that abortion by Kevin Costner. The old TV show with Richard Greene was better than Kevin Costner.
Errol Flynn and gang fencing with longswords FTW!
Especially the climactic scene after he accidentally bends his blade… They obviously didn't believe in multiple takes back then.

Will Smith was OK in that iRobot movie. He can handle futuristic stuff, but I just wish they''d work harder at making him look the part. -_-
I mean, I LOVE traditional futuristic costume design, but in iRobot he was apparently a collector of 20th century gear so they had an excuse to dress him in boring 90's urban wannabee-rapper-bigman crappy Timberland stuff.
Lame.

Now, a pair of silver tights, original Buck Rogers style… Or even later Buck Rogers, or even Blake's 7 would be too cool ^_^

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
DAJB at 8:43AM, Jan. 26, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
Seconded!

ozoneocean
Will Smith was OK in that iRobot movie.
Hey - they could call this one I, Robin and market it as a sequel. (Or prequel. 'Cos sequels are so yesterday!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
blindsk at 5:38PM, Jan. 26, 2011
(online)
mlai
Oh you can't criticize “blind casting” of a non-white actor in the role of a traditionally Caucasian character. You would be labeled as an ignorant racist.

But in this case, it depends on the specific quote. Was the movie hyped as a futuristic Robin Hood retelling? Or was it simply a Robin Hood style story but actually has nothing to do with Robin Hood plotwise or themewise?

Wait, you mean to tell me that he's not white? ;)

All jokes aside, I'm not morally against having him casted as the Robin Hood. I just found it amusing, considering the character's background. Honestly, I originally looked at this as a parody possibly derived from Mel Brooks' adaption of the story, hence the title.

As far as what type of story this will be, it sounds like the latter (not adhering strictly to the “original” tale). In fact, they describe it as “thematically similar to Terminator 2.” Actually, that would be hilarious to have Arnold as Robin Hood.

ozoneocean
Will Smith was OK in that iRobot movie. He can handle futuristic stuff, but I just wish they''d work harder at making him look the part.

Yeah, you're right. He seems to be taking a liking to futuristic-type movies, isn't he? There was also the remaking of I am Legend. Not necessarily technically futuristic, but futuristic anyway.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
bravo1102 at 2:16AM, Jan. 27, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
bravo1102
Especially the climactic scene after he accidentally bends his blade… They obviously didn't believe in multiple takes back then.

I didn't mention Errol Flynn because it's in a class by itself. :) From the notes I've seen it was intentional to raise the danger. Here's Robin fencing with a damaged blade! Oooooh ahhh! I love watching Basil Rathbone hold himself back from destroying these fencing amateurs.

Seeing Will Smith ala Buck Rodgers does Robin Hood would be cool! But they'll go dystopian and Terminator 2? How do you fence with robots? He uses a special bow with exploding warheads to take them out?

Maybe Arnold as Little John or better yet as the Sheriff. Seth Rogen as Friar Tuck?

Hmmm… Robin Hood: MIT meets Spaceballs in the Old West! Or Blazing Saddles with Aliens… on Broadway.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
mlai at 5:21PM, Jan. 27, 2011
(online)
What is the historical/folklore basis of Robin Hood anyways? Isn't his tale a spinoff of Ivanhoe? What is the historical basis of Ivanhoe?

I must admit that my familiarity/ interest in English stories drops off a precipice once we get past the Arthurian/ Roman Britain period.

Yeah, futuristic retelling starring Will Smith… anything goes. It's more like a blaxploitation parody (I forgot about that genre)… like The Last Dragon… with Bruce Leroy (protagonist's name). What a great movie that was.

ozoneocean at 6:21PM, Jan. 27, 2011
(online)
mlai
What is the historical/folklore basis of Robin Hood anyways? Isn't his tale a spinoff of Ivanhoe? What is the historical basis of Ivanhoe?
Umm… I've forgotten what happens in Ivanhoe. Isn't that something about the ransom of King Richard or some such?

I know there's a bit about king Richard in most Robin Hood adaptations, but from everything I've read that was all added later for effect, the way people do. Probably done after Ivanhoe because of Ivanhoe! :)

From what I can remember no one is positive where Robinhood comes from but it's believed to be a bunch of popular apocryphal folk songs that were doing the rounds at one time, inspired by and documenting a bit of social unrest (and those grew as they were further embellished over the years). People have tried to claim it was based on this guy or that guy, or this woman or whatever, but that's all 80% fantasy and wishful thinking.
-When I say no one is sure I mean we're 100% sure that the legend was made in the ballads, it's just that a lot of people would like to think those were based on or inspired by reality.

It's like the songs about John Barleycorn. There are so many and they document his murder in great detail, such that you'd think it's about a real person almost, when it's just a symbolic theme based on bear making. :)

Good resource for the early beginnings here:
http://www.boldoutlaw.com/robages/robages2.html

mlai
Yeah, futuristic retelling starring Will Smith… anything goes. It's more like a blaxploitation parody (I forgot about that genre)… like The Last Dragon… with Bruce Leroy (protagonist's name). What a great movie that was.
That sounds awesome! O_O
Blaxploitation films are cool. The only negative is that often they cartoonify African American culture a bit Toooo much.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
meemjar at 7:18PM, Jan. 27, 2011
(offline)
The only Futuristic Robin Hood I'm aware of was a cartoon show called
'Rocket Robin Hood.'

Who here remembers THAT show?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:58PM
Product Placement at 7:48AM, Jan. 29, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
Will Smith was OK in that iRobot movie. He can handle futuristic stuff, but I just wish they''d work harder at making him look the part. -_-
I mean, I LOVE traditional futuristic costume design, but in iRobot he was apparently a collector of 20th century gear so they had an excuse to dress him in boring 90's urban wannabee-rapper-bigman crappy Timberland stuff.
Lame.
Will Smith was a walking billboard in that movie. All the “vintage” crap he owned was brand new stuff they were trying to push to people who went to see that movie.

“Nice shoes, indeed.”
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
lefarce at 3:33PM, Feb. 1, 2011
(online)
mlai

Struck a nerve, did I?

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
mlai at 9:51PM, Feb. 1, 2011
(online)
Not really. But it seems we both like to troll a bit.

However, as I stated earlier, “Will Smith Robin Hood” is on a whole other level from “black Norse god” because the former falls within the culturally enriching genre of blaxploitation parody.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved