Media Megaforum

G.I. Joe movie...2009
shaneronzio at 6:05AM, May 16, 2008
(online)
I will give you 1 reason why I think this movie will not suck…

http://arminsykes.com/scrapbook/wallpapers/rachel%20nichols%2014.jpg
Rachel Nichols is Scarlett
Current Project:CROSS WORLDS NEXUS
Updates Monday, Wenzday & FRIDAY
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:33PM
Fluffy Snot Monster at 12:00AM, May 25, 2008
(offline)
isukun
I couldn't disagree more. There was very little of the spirit of the Transformers in that movie. For one, the Transformers were secondary characters in their own movie. While G1 had human characters, they never felt like the focus of the show. All of the personalities were drastically changed over the G1 characters. The motivation on both sides was completely different. The Deceptacons were almost completely dehumanized. The Autobots were awkward for the most part. The All Spark? Retarded bathroom humor and puberty jokes. The only idea that they kept from the old show was that you had robots that transformed into vehicles. THAT'S IT. And while I can say my friends hated the movie as much as I did, I don't judge popular opinion on just what they think.

As for the quality of the movie, we weren't just blessed with the less than funny toilet humor and puberty jokes. We also had a fairly shallow storyline, characters who were not only flat, but annoying as all get out, plot holes, poor dialog, special effects ruined by Michael Bay's obsession with close in shots and “shaky cam,” the most vile film technique ever devised by man, and dialog and story elements that reeked of oldschool racism.

I wasn't a fan before the movie, but I still disliked it because of the titular characters playing second fiddle to a bunch of one-dimensional jerks.

Back on topic…

I don't see any reason to make a modern G.I. Joe movie aside from some really strong nostalgia factor. Personally, I think the franchise, with the whole ‘Real American Hero’ thing is outdated and irrelevant, especially outside the USA.

That and I haven't seen the toys in like EVER.

shaneronzio

Yes, boobs make everything better. :P
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:30PM
SpANG at 9:47PM, May 25, 2008
(online)
shaneronzio

Pretty girls are a dime a dozen in Hollywood.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
Ziffy88 at 10:23PM, May 25, 2008
(offline)
I'm not sure if the GI Joe series can get worst…Sigma 6(painfully stupid), GI Extreme(painfully funny for all the wrong reasons…) GI Joe The Movie(Duke slipped into a coma…) Just give the movie to the guy who wrote the marvel comics, he could probably do something with it decent…of course I just would love to see this be the movie to mess up kids the come in thinking its an awesome action flick and all of the sudden it becomes a serious war drama and causes a bunch of kids to cry and to top it off the characters start shooting puppies why? Because they're cute and it would cause a bunch of children to cry some more…yes I tend towards evil! Peace through War COBRAAAA!!!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
SpANG at 8:53AM, May 27, 2008
(online)
Then:
The initial product offering represented four of the branches of the U.S. Armed Forces with the Action Soldier (Army), Action Sailor (Navy), Action Pilot (Air Force) and Action Marine (USMC). The term “G.I. Joe” stood for "Government Issue Joe", signifying the universal makeup of the US forces at the time.

Now…
The story is set at Brussels-based GIJOE, an acronym for the Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity, and revolves around an international co-ed force of operatives who use high-tech equipment to battle Cobra, an evil org headed by a Scottish arms dealer.
So GI Joe isn't a real AMERICAN hero anymore. Shoulda seen THAT one coming, I guess.

Given the current ‘global’ attitude towards America, this just a way to give the movie international appeal. It's a shame it's come to this.

First George Bush kills Captain America, then Superman, now GI Joe.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
shaneronzio at 5:41PM, Aug. 7, 2009
(online)
I just saw the movie, In my humble opinion, It Kicks Total Ass.

I thought the Wayans brother was going to ruin it with bad humor, but he did o.k.

Baroness could have had an accent, tho.
Its this generations g.i.joe, I can accept that.

Snake eyes was done well, the plot was well thought out and
even Brendan Frasiers bit part didn't mess it up.
They made a cool movie.
Current Project:CROSS WORLDS NEXUS
Updates Monday, Wenzday & FRIDAY
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:33PM
lefarce at 7:45PM, Aug. 7, 2009
(online)
Every time I see a trailer for this movie it reminds me how awful it's going to be, and how many idiots will eat it up. Cant wait for the trilogy since hey we cant make a movie anymore without rolling it into three films! :V

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
ozoneocean at 11:00PM, Aug. 7, 2009
(online)
SpANG
shaneronzio

Pretty girls are a dime a dozen in Hollywood.
So true. I can't even tell them apart. -_-

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
ttyler at 5:33AM, Aug. 8, 2009
(online)
Yup….the story and characterizations sucked in the film….but the two main actresses were just hot enough to make me happy for 2 hrs. I personally would have rather watched a Gi-Joe film, based on the Adventure team. A problem/rescue/exploration kind of thing……but I'm old and getting more senile by the second,….so what do I know?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
TheMidge28 at 5:28PM, Aug. 8, 2009
(online)
Just saw it today in a matinee, because I didn't want to waste money on full ticket price. But I have to say I enjoyed it. I wasn't going in expecting too much but it was full on action from beginning to end. If you are looking for deep story, plot twists, characterization, something new and different… its not. But for a fun action movie which was based on a toy, it did the job. Yeah, I have little things here and there that I would have changed but those things weren't distractions. and yeah Lefarce, there will be sequels. And they might not be too bad, IMO, after seeing this one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
lefarce at 7:29PM, Aug. 8, 2009
(online)
Man this movie sure does have some great advertising:

I never tire of hilariously bad photoshops where people cant seem to paste on a pair of sunglasses.

how the fuck did this even get approved?

First George Bush kills Captain America, then Superman, now GI Joe.

but did you not notice the song in the trailer? it was clearly AMERICAN badass, not EUROPEAN badass or ASIAN badass! america is best. furthermore,

Sea_Cow at 9:39PM, Aug. 8, 2009
(offline)
G.I. Joe? How about instead, you watch the Hurt Locker.

I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
Wills42 at 9:43AM, Aug. 12, 2009
(online)
All our presumptions were wrong. It was awesome.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
mlai at 10:09PM, Aug. 14, 2009
(online)
Just because it's relatively awesome in the summer popcorn action department, doesn't mean that it's an awesome story that doesn't rape your childhood memories.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/014/057xhtvt.asp

LMAO and true.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
lefarce at 12:28AM, Aug. 15, 2009
(online)
mlai
Just because it's relatively awesome in the summer popcorn action department, doesn't mean that it's an awesome story that doesn't rape your childhood memories.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/014/057xhtvt.asp

LMAO and true.

You're missing the point here, George Bush murdered and raped America!

ozoneocean at 2:51AM, Aug. 16, 2009
(online)
lefarce
You're missing the point here, George Bush murdered and raped America!
That's obviously untrue.
His penis isn't nearly that large.

——–
GI Joe in the 80's was a very different thing to what it started out as anyway. Toys like that always change. Before the franchise became all Rob Leifelded with pouches, huge guns, giant shoulder things etc there was only one doll with different costumes and accessories, like the British Action Man.

When you think about it, 80's GI Joe probably created Leifeld.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Tanman2 at 4:55AM, Aug. 16, 2009
(offline)
meh I liked it
Omelets make me gassy…. if you know what I mean! :) OK I don't know either…
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
ParkerFarker at 7:09AM, Aug. 16, 2009
(online)
shaneronzio
you know what bothered the shit out of me…why the hell were the predators in the frozen tundra in AVP when they are only supposed to show up in the hottest most humid summers?

holy crap. That's so true. I watched the Making-Of of AVP, and the director was clearly intent on getting eveything to fit in with both Alien and Predator universes. But at least it was way better than AVP2.

sorry for going way off-topic there

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
Sysli at 8:37AM, Aug. 17, 2009
(online)
“like the British Action Man”
As far as I know It WAS actually the same product that just got renamed. But I may be misinformed.

As to the actual topic: I enjoyed the movie. Yes, it was a classic summer low-brained explodorama, but what else did we expect? I have no fond memories of this product, so I couldn't really be disappointed by it not living up to those, but it was fun if rather predictable. (Again, what else can we expect?)

Then again, I think it's become pretty clear that I like silly movies like this even, if it's only because they're excellent to make silly comments about and play guess-what's-going-to-happen with. If I'm in the right mood I'm very easily entertained.
Because I may as well show a bit of pride. ^___^

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
Sea_Cow at 11:25AM, Aug. 17, 2009
(offline)
Foxy Amazon? I can dig it.
lefarce at 3:19PM, Aug. 17, 2009
(online)
Someone
“like the British Action Man”
As far as I know It WAS actually the same product that just got renamed. But I may be misinformed.

Action Man is the British localization of GI Joe. At least that's what I gathered from some chick's interview on conan. I think she played Baroness or something, and she mentioned that growing up in Britain, they had “Action Man”.

She was pretty foxy too but she had no tits and that is NOOOO GOOOOOD

Sea_Cow at 3:33PM, Aug. 17, 2009
(offline)
No tits, no deal.
idstudios at 1:35AM, Aug. 21, 2009
(offline)
BAD. FILM.

SO horrifically bad. Poor acting, weak plot. This just is not a good film. G.I. Joe falls into all of the same traps that Transformers 1 AND 2 fell into. Basically just blow stuff up and have fights - forget storyline!

Oy vey…

Sad thing is it was the No. 1 movie in the World at one point.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
mlai at 9:39PM, Aug. 22, 2009
(online)
Which is better, this movie or the Weather Dominator week-long cartoon arc?

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved