Media Megaforum

GAAHHH!! my music is boring plz help me
Ibkod at 9:35AM, July 3, 2007
(online)
ok so here's the fact: I just realized that I dont feel like listening to any of my old music. therefor I'm hunting for something else, something new and better..
point beeing please help me find something good to listen to, anythings fine exept for country (sry country lovers but I'm not one of you)
what's your favourite band/song? please tell me..I'm growing desperate
Evil is always possible, Goodness is a difficulty.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
kingofsnake at 10:23AM, July 3, 2007
(online)
The Arctic Monkeys
The Kooks
The Kaiser Cheifs
Cold War Kids
The Wombats
Jack Penate
Jamie T
Marc Ronson
The Fratellis
Razorlight
The View
Justice
Eskimo Disco
Peter Bjorn & John
LCD Soundsystem
Simian Mobile Disco
Hard Fi
The Go! Team
DJ Shadow

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
fern at 10:30AM, July 3, 2007
(online)
You can't go wrong with:

The Beatles
Beck
Blonde Redhead
Bob Dylan
Broadcast
Damien Rice
David Bowie
The Decemberists
Donovan
Electrelane
Elliott Smith
The Flaming Lips
The Go! Team
John Lennon
The Kills
Lou Reed
The Mars Volta
Mazzy Star
Metric
Nellie McKay
Neutral Milk Hotel
Nico
Nine Inch Nails
Orenda Fink
Pixies
PJ Harvey
Placebo
Regina Spektor
The Rolling Stones
The Shins
Smashing Pumpkins
The Smiths
Sonic Youth
Sufjan Stevens
Tegan and Sara
Tilly and the Wall
U2
The Velvet Underground

…for starters.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:27PM
zirnitra at 11:58AM, July 3, 2007
(offline)
Deathspell Omega, Amon Amarth, Stray Cats, Sepultura, Turmion Katilot, Emperor, Iron Maiden

to name a few
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
AQua_ng at 1:23PM, July 3, 2007
(online)
The Pussycat Dolls. That will make you appreciate all other music.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:56AM
Ibkod at 5:25AM, July 4, 2007
(online)
Thanx a lot guys^^ really appreciate it!!!
you're just the best
.. hmm seeems like I have a lot of bands to go through now.. *happy dance* 8D
Vindibudd at 3:00PM, July 4, 2007
(online)
fern
You can't go wrong with:

The Beatles
Beck
Blonde Redhead
Bob Dylan
Broadcast
Damien Rice
David Bowie
The Decemberists
Donovan
Electrelane
Elliott Smith
The Flaming Lips
The Go! Team
John Lennon
The Kills
Lou Reed
The Mars Volta
Mazzy Star
Metric
Nellie McKay
Neutral Milk Hotel
Nico
Nine Inch Nails
Orenda Fink
Pixies
PJ Harvey
Placebo
Regina Spektor
The Rolling Stones
The Shins
Smashing Pumpkins
The Smiths
Sonic Youth
Sufjan Stevens
Tegan and Sara
Tilly and the Wall
U2
The Velvet Underground

…for starters.

Why don't you just say, “Anything that's on a cd.”

But to the topic at hand, try artist: Skillet album: Comatose
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
Mega Josh at 4:04PM, July 4, 2007
(offline)
Listen to Tenacious D. Those guys are always awesome.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:58PM
Anatak at 9:38PM, July 4, 2007
(offline)
I don't know your thoughts on metal, but..

Obituary - Cause of Death

Released in 1990. It's a classic. The first time I heard it I was blown away, infact I'm listening to it right now. A landmark album in the Death Metal scene. Just check it out… All obituary's albums are great, if you like these samples, check out their other stuff too.
Songs from Cause of Death:
Dying (Live)
Chopped in Half
Turned Inside out (Live)

Behemoth - Grom

Released in 1996, a great Black Metal album thats not overly extreme (again, I'm not sure how you feel about metal..) It features a lot of acoustic guitars, some female vocals, and clean male vocal to go with the usual growls.

Satyricon - The Shadowthrone

Released 1994. Another not so extreme black metal release, but still great none the less. A lot of Medieval sounding stuff on it. They had a pretty unique sound at the time.

(Now let me just say that of course there is a lot of more extreme/brutal metal out there, I suggested these mainly because theyre a little easier to swallow for people not aquanted with metal yet. All 3 of those albums are genuine metal, not like crap you hear on the radio. They're just not so crazy as to push non-metal listeners away.)

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM
Ibkod at 10:02AM, July 5, 2007
(online)
Mega Josh
Listen to Tenacious D. Those guys are always awesome.

Checked them out…well they are kinda odd.. but in a good way ^^
by an accident I just got my boyfriend obbsessed by them.. dunno if thats a good thing or not but I'll guess I will find out ;P

thanx a lot for the tip :)

ofc lots of thanx to everyone else as well.. trust me not any tip has been in vain, I check out every single one of them, and I have found a lot of bands worth listening too ^^
said it before and I'll say it again: you really are the best!!!
Kohdok at 7:31PM, July 5, 2007
(online)
Aww, poor baby, here, this can help you feel better.

Sound Test

If you don't want to break the law, just know that you don't have to own the soundtrack, just the game. If you own the actual game, you're entitled to the soundtrack.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
D0m at 7:57PM, July 5, 2007
(online)
Daft Punk

Radiohead

Mos Def

Kanye West

The Bravery

The Killers

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Eisley

:-)

Nadya- a tale about what happens to SOME of us when we die.

Currently: Nadya is awake and asking more relevant questions.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
artisthazzard at 10:05AM, July 6, 2007
(offline)
Mindless self indugence
lords of acid
okgo
dropkick murpheys
buzzcocks
blood for blood
rancid
happy 2b hardcore
dir en grey
the casualties
reagan youth
Man's Ruin
Nofx
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
Insanity at 9:23PM, July 6, 2007
(offline)
If you like hard rock, listen to Slipknot-Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses.

AwesomeUnicorn
I feel a little bit like Hitler right now, too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:01PM
fern at 10:42PM, July 6, 2007
(online)
Vindibudd

Because I would never recommend a Christian hard rock band.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:27PM
angry_black_guy at 9:30AM, July 7, 2007
(offline)
My favorite band is Dream Theater. They're classified as “progressive metal” in that they sound like Genesis mixed with Metallica. Speaking of Genesis, it's a good band… Phil Collins is stupid for breaking up and he's sucked ever since. Metallica is also classic Heavy Metal. Just avoid any of their Garage labels if you don't want to be seriously offended (unless you like punching children). Porcupine Tree is also some quintessential progressive rock and they do a lot of experimental and head-trippy music.

Tool is my favorite alternative metal. They're kind of like “what happens if a guy got finished reading the bible and picked up a guitar.” Their lyrics are pretty deep and meaningful although 10,000 days left a lot to be desired.

Anyways, random recommendations:

Demons and Wizards
Iced Earth
Blind Guardian (especially Night-Fall in Middle Earth)
Flaw
Seether
A Perfect Circle
Temple of the Dog
Dream Evil (MEEEEEEETAAAAAAL!!!)
Fear Factory

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM
Nicotine at 10:03AM, July 7, 2007
(online)
The White Stripes!

They're a little bit of everything..rock, blues, sometimes country influences (but it's good! promise :D). I suggest their Hotel Yorba, Elephant, and Get Behind Me Satan albums. Their newest one, Icky Thump is really great, too.

Modest Mouse is another good band. They're been around a lot longer then their sudden popularity in 2004 implied. I'd suggest anything pre-Good News For People Who Like Bad News, though that was a good CD as well.

Red Hot Chili Peppers, can't go wrong with them. Beatles, Interpol, The Strokes, Death Cab For Cutie, all good bands.

And if you don't mind music in other languages, Lacrimosa (German) and Plastic Tree (Japanese) are amazing as well.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:16PM
RobertTidwell at 9:48PM, July 7, 2007
(offline)
Divisble
Iconoclast: One who attacks and seeks to overthrow traditional or popular ideas or institutions.

http://www.drunkduck.com/Love_Song_For_Polyhymnia/
http://www.drunkduck.com/Ogre/
http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Guilty_Will_be_Punished/
http://www.drunkduck.com/Labrynth/
email: RobertTidwell.Comics@gmail.com
Aim: R Tidwell Comics
http://www.myspace.com/Robert_Tidwell_Comics
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:08PM
hat at 10:15AM, July 8, 2007
(offline)
Three 6 Mafia
Project Pat
or if you don't like rap, The Mars Volta. Listen to their Frances the Mute album.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
Seelinkrun11 at 7:43AM, July 17, 2007
(offline)
Red Hot Chili Peppers and Linkin Park are awesome
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
TheMidge28 at 11:55AM, July 17, 2007
(online)
Ibkod
ok so here's the fact: I just realized that I dont feel like listening to any of my old music. therefor I'm hunting for something else, something new and better..
point beeing please help me find something good to listen to, anythings fine exept for country (sry country lovers but I'm not one of you)

question: What do you enjoy? You stated what you hate but what are the bands that you like or styles of that you like? Everyone has spewed tons of bands at you with out letting you know what their like or what to expect. But maybe knowing what your taste is I could offer some more curtailed to what your looking for.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:20PM
RobertTidwell at 7:37PM, July 17, 2007
(offline)
TheMidge28
Ibkod

question: What do you enjoy? You stated what you hate but what are the bands that you like or styles of that you like? Everyone has spewed tons of bands at you with out letting you know what their like or what to expect. But maybe knowing what your taste is I could offer some more curtailed to what your looking for.

if he is tired of what he is currently listening to, why would you suggest things that are the same as what he is currently listening to?
Iconoclast: One who attacks and seeks to overthrow traditional or popular ideas or institutions.

TheMidge28 at 8:12PM, July 17, 2007
(online)
RobertTidwell
TheMidge28
Ibkod

if he is tired of what he is currently listening to, why would you suggest things that are the same as what he is currently listening to?

because most music can be categorized. When someone states they are bored with what they are listening to they might still like the same kind of music but a new band. If someone likes Rap/Hip-hop then maybe try K-os…
if some likes Metal then try…insert band name here.

You see where I am coming from.

They said they didn't like country but we don't know what they like…maybe honestly they haven't gone shopping for music in quite a while…Also music is usually comes in moods…just because they are in the mood for music x and want music y today doesn't mean music x will never get listen to again…
willisokong at 5:48PM, July 18, 2007
(online)
hmmm

/tries to find things that haven't been mentioned

frank zappa and jefferson airplane, certainly interesting but rather an aquired taste

'Harold and Maude' rules! Go see it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
Maxw3ll at 11:10PM, July 18, 2007
(offline)
fern
Vindibudd

Because I would never recommend a Christian hard rock band.

I would never really recommend any Christian bands.Mute Math is “Christian” but I listen to them, but the rest suck….seriously.

I listen to a lot of music, but right now I am mostly listening to:

Velvet Underground
Smashing Pumpkins
Queen
Bloc Party
The Kooks
Beastie Boys
Sunny Day Real Estate
Gorillaz
The White Stripes
Foo Fighters
HORSE the Band
Daft Punk
Bjork
The Eagles of Death Metal (not really death metal)
Tenacious D
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Nine Inch Nails
The Dead Kennedys
At the Drive-In
The Flaming Lips
The Misfits
The Shins
The Adicts
Peter Bjorn and John
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
RobertTidwell at 6:04PM, July 20, 2007
(offline)
TheMidge28
RobertTidwell
TheMidge28
Ibkod

because most music can be categorized. When someone states they are bored with what they are listening to they might still like the same kind of music but a new band. If someone likes Rap/Hip-hop then maybe try K-os…
if some likes Metal then try…insert band name here.

You see where I am coming from.

They said they didn't like country but we don't know what they like…maybe honestly they haven't gone shopping for music in quite a while…Also music is usually comes in moods…just because they are in the mood for music x and want music y today doesn't mean music x will never get listen to again…

That doesnt make sense to me. Yes music can be catagorized but if certain sounds are currently boring a person, certain ideas are no longer interesting, and a certain style no longer appealing, why continue to search for similar bands?

Maybe its because I dont care about style, but that sounds really boring and counter productive.

Say you got tired of your hip hop act. You want a change. You check out a lot of other hip hop acts and they are all basically the same(for the instance of this comparison, not that I believe all hip hop acts are the same) would you a.) ask for more of these very identical hip hop acts or b.) something else? maybe a hardcore rap act if you are feeling angry. Maybe, just maybe, a country band. Why? Johnny Cash was way more gangster than tupac was. Period. George Jones was more emotional than emo bands too.

Oh and then theres billie holiday whose music was way awesome and totally not the same as T I, and what if you are just sick to death of your comercial punk and want something that sounds way different from My Chemical Romance, maybe, though its unlikely, you'll find something interesting in Insane Clown Posse or Brotha Lynch Hung. And if you like Britney Spears but your just bored with her lack of creativity, maybe you should try Feist.

You know?

heccubus at 10:10PM, July 20, 2007
(offline)
http://rateyourmusic.com/~heccubus

Explore, seek, and enjoy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
TheMidge28 at 4:08AM, July 21, 2007
(online)
RobertTidwell
That doesnt make sense to me. Yes music can be catagorized but if certain sounds are currently boring a person, certain ideas are no longer interesting, and a certain style no longer appealing, why continue to search for similar bands?

Maybe its because I dont care about style, but that sounds really boring and counter productive.

Say you got tired of your hip hop act. You want a change. You check out a lot of other hip hop acts and they are all basically the same(for the instance of this comparison, not that I believe all hip hop acts are the same) would you a.) ask for more of these very identical hip hop acts or b.) something else? maybe a hardcore rap act if you are feeling angry. Maybe, just maybe, a country band. Why? Johnny Cash was way more gangster than tupac was. Period. George Jones was more emotional than emo bands too.

Oh and then theres billie holiday whose music was way awesome and totally not the same as T I, and what if you are just sick to death of your comercial punk and want something that sounds way different from My Chemical Romance, maybe, though its unlikely, you'll find something interesting in Insane Clown Posse or Brotha Lynch Hung. And if you like Britney Spears but your just bored with her lack of creativity, maybe you should try Feist.

You know?

no, I don't know.
You think your right and I am wrong…I read your frickin' listing…
RobertTidwell
I love music. Music is like drugs and sex all rolled into one. I listen to SkitzoXCore which basically means I don't listen to anything specific. I can listen to George Jones, the Insane Clown Posse, Sade, Alanis, and who ever else I damn well please all on one cd. I don't get caught up in who is more punk rock, or hip hop, or hardcore than who. I think music that seperates is not music.
…and I know how this is going turn out.
So I am just going to end this debate right now because its a dumb one.
Dude, you are arguing with me for asking the original poster what music they like so I can make referrals from a different angle. This is the Media Forum. Discussion and Debate is up several blocks. I think they are debating baby seal clubbing…
danthemancartoons at 10:23AM, July 21, 2007
(offline)
I would second the Arctic Monkeys as a band definitely worth checking out. In just over two years they went from first album to headlining Glastonbury.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
RobertTidwell at 8:17PM, July 21, 2007
(offline)
TheMidge28
RobertTidwell

You know?

no, I don't know.
You think your right and I am wrong…I read your frickin' listing…
RobertTidwell
I love music. Music is like drugs and sex all rolled into one. I listen to SkitzoXCore which basically means I don't listen to anything specific. I can listen to George Jones, the Insane Clown Posse, Sade, Alanis, and who ever else I damn well please all on one cd. I don't get caught up in who is more punk rock, or hip hop, or hardcore than who. I think music that seperates is not music.
…and I know how this is going turn out.
So I am just going to end this debate right now because its a dumb one.
Dude, you are arguing with me for asking the original poster what music they like so I can make referrals from a different angle. This is the Media Forum. Discussion and Debate is up several blocks. I think they are debating baby seal clubbing…

you call this arguing?

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved