Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

GAH!! Its the BLOCK!!
emjee at 4:55PM, March 21, 2007
(online)
Artist's block. We've probably all had it at some point. Mine is really weird. I can't draw anything, come up with anything, and if I do, I can't make is work. GAH!!

So anyway, I thought it might help people (me as well) if people posted up their remedies for Artist's block and writer's block!

For me it sometimes helps if I listen to a favorite CD or read a book. Sometimes looking at other people's art helps with the uninspired part of the Block.
I also found that it helps if you challenge yourself with drawing stuff you normally can't or have trouble with.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
acadia at 9:48PM, March 21, 2007
(offline)
http://www.machall.com

Look at those strips. They always inspire me.

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
reconjsh at 10:05PM, March 21, 2007
(online)
I go do other art. Like, if I can't draw from artist's block, I go take some pictures with my camera. Sometimes thinking about art through a different medium can wiggle loose some inspiration.

I've also find that "just keep drawing something" works well too. Just keep the pencil moving with no regard to quality of work.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 7:01PM, March 22, 2007
(online)
acadia
http://www.machall.com

Look at those strips. They always inspire me.

haha wow acadia, I got some stylistic deja-vu when I opened that page; Mac Hall has a pretty similar color palette as your comic!! (the characters look really different from yours, though~!)

heh… I never get “The Block!” or maybe I do and never realized it~ ^_^ because when I get tired of one medium, like poetry, I just stop writing poetry and start writing fiction. And so I'd have to reiterate what reconjsh said, try something new. it'll give you new ideas.
Or just take a day or so off, and do something random. Go to the zoo, or the museum, or hey, take a walk to the local H&M and buy a new turtleneck. And then TAKE EVERYTHING YOU SEE AND TRY TO FIT IT INTO YOUR COMIC!!! Like,
“Wow… here I am at the natural history museum… this crystal ball is soo cool!! OMG WHAT IF I MAKE THIS CHARACTER GO TO A PSYCHIC? WHAT WOULD HAPPEN?!?!?!”
“La di da, at the zoo… OMG wolves!! What if this character gets eaten by wolves!?!”
“Here I am shopping… wow I love the sleeves on this shirt!! maybe I should work that into this character's clothing design!”

Obviously, all my examples are lame and bogus, but you know, your work should reflect the real world a little, right? so the best way for new inspiration, in my opinion, is to immerse yourself in the world around you.
(or by reading a good book/watching a movie)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 7:03PM, March 22, 2007
(online)
oh yeah, as far as artist's block, whenever I get a headache from drawing too much manga, I draw some realistic things. Or I paint… watercolors though, because oil is too much of a commitment for just a “refresher!” kind of thing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
Scialyte at 7:27PM, March 22, 2007
(offline)
I dunno. I went to college with Ian from MacHall, and I'm not sure if he was human. He might not be the best person to base off of.

But as for artist's block, I try to read something, preferably something I've never read before, or in a genre I've never tried. It makes me think differently long enough to get past the blockage.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
Friedenmann at 7:21AM, March 25, 2007
(online)
I hate blocks. They make me write each part of my story for weeks. Fortunately I don't have art blocks. If I work on somethin' for a long time I just have a break and then work on it again. Sometimes takes long, but at least I don't feel frustrated about it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Darth Mongoose at 7:56AM, March 25, 2007
(online)
Well, for this one, I'd go for the old saying:
“A change is as good as a rest.”

Basically, try drawing something different. For me, since I spend a lot of time drawing my own original characters, I find fanart refreshes me. I also find inspiration in comics, films etc. that I've not seen before.
Maybe try drawing using different materials, or a different position. I draw my comics lying on my front on the floor most of the time, but sometimes drawing at a desk like normal people helps.

Other random things to try: Get some new music, do exersizes like sit-ups until your muscles start to ache, do a backward roll, find something that makes you laugh… just do something totally spontanious.
Whatever you do, don't draw while frustrated. You won't be able to draw, and it'll only make you more frustrated, it leads nowhere.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
Hijuda at 7:57AM, April 14, 2007
(offline)
For me, I usually just remember that I have some important project to do for school due the next day. Nothing gets the juices flowing like procrastination.
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
mattex at 12:13AM, April 21, 2007
(online)
for me? VIDEO GAMES

“the BLOCK” is usually caused by stress or something along those lines of tryign to do something when your brain just wont.

the simple idea is to go relax a little, have a nap on the couch with the t.v on or the radio, go out with some friends, etc etc etc.

unknown to most is, the more sounds you get, especially media wise, you brain thinks about them more than you do. and lo and behold an idea pops into your head.

sounds crazy i know, but thats the human psyche for ya ;P
Life is a game - so GTFO my server please!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
AQua_ng at 8:36AM, April 21, 2007
(online)
Take a shower.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:56AM
FAL at 5:29PM, April 21, 2007
(offline)
No kidding! I do get most of the ideas for my comic while taking a shower in the morning.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
strong414bad at 2:29PM, April 23, 2007
(online)
I was just going to say that! When I have a creative problem when I go into the shower, it's gone by the time I get out.
Why hello there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:59PM
YuiPweeLi at 2:08PM, April 28, 2007
(offline)
When I get artist block, I usually just take a break, and do some of my other hobbies. I get artist block a lot too, when I try too hard. For example, I picture something in my head, and I stress a lot about trying to make it EXACTLY as I imagine it, but my hands just wont do it. When that happens, I just got to turn my brain off and let my hands do what they do, and amazing stuff comes from doodles like that.

When I get writers block, I tend to just try to get reconnected with the “story of my life” I try to find something similar in my life, or someone else's to what I want to write about. It is true that real life makes for horrible story for the most part, as it lacks so many literary things, but when I just can't think of what to write, (for fiction) taking a break and looking at reality in a new way usually helps ‘plant the seed’ of creativity.
Also, I listen to music, GOOD music!

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:53PM
kyupol at 5:29PM, April 28, 2007
(online)
Try any of these solutions:

1) Read your comic again.

2) Take a break from drawing or writing. Give yourself a week were you have ZERO drawing. Just relax and do other stuff like hangout with your buds or play video games or somethin.

3) Smoke crack… er… not to endorse drugs but rockstars take drugs routinely to make them inspired to write a song. lol

4) Watch movies.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Zenstrive at 6:17PM, April 28, 2007
(online)
I take a catnap or watch DVDs or read other comics or talk about the writer's block to other people
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:55PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved