Debate and Discussion

Gaming Con Posers
jalford at 2:42AM, Jan. 3, 2006
(online)
I've been to alot of cons in the last few years, some big and small. I notice that alot of conventions which are primarily gaming cons try to bill them as being something more than just a gaming con. Now, I ain't knocking the gaming con set of fandom, but the people who go to gaming cons go there for one thing, GAMING. Sure, gaming cons probably have some discussion panels, an art room, video room, etc. The normal extra stuff they try to fill the bill with to make it seem more appealing to non-gamers. But some of them go a little too far and try to label it as a sci-fi, or anime, or comic con, but with gaming. The fact is though, no matter how much extra stuff they put in those cons, the only real people who show up for them are gamers, and that's where all the attention and money goes into for those cons. I feel sorry for the non-gaming-related guests and dealers who probably flew halfway across the country to a small time con at some university or small hotel somewhere to either sell some merchandise or take part in discussion panels or whatever, and find out that all the hundred-something attendees spent the whole time there playing games. I went to one like that which had itself billed as a “speculative fiction” convention, and pretty much 90% of the dudes there were gamers. They had 2 video rooms, cool ideas for panels, and even a cosplay contest(with only 5 people though), but the majority of these events went unnoticed by the regular attendees as they were too busy playing Magic. It seems to me, that cons like that who want to have a wider menu of fan attendees at their con should be honost and try to make it either a full-fledged gaming con, or keep the gaming section down to a bare minimum. Otherwise, the non-gaming guests, dealers, and attendees are just going to get severly duped.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Ian Jay at 8:05AM, Jan. 3, 2006
(offline)
So what are you saying? That you want more artists and less nerds at comic conventions?

~IJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
jalford at 11:52AM, Jan. 3, 2006
(online)
No. I'm saying that a convention which is largely a gaming con shouldn't go billing itself as a sci-fi/anime/comic con, when everything that's really going on there is gaming.
ozoneocean at 1:09PM, Jan. 3, 2006
(online)
Is that a debatable topic, or just more of a rant?
It's hard to find much to argue about there…
Sort of like saying: “Beige house paint should be marked as beige instead of ‘coffee’, ‘dark ivory’, ‘mocca’, ‘beach’, ‘blonde’, ‘bleached oak’ etc!” :lol:

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
madscott at 11:08AM, Jan. 6, 2006
(online)
It's a debatable topic.

I disagree. It's a question of marketing. If I we're to organize a con and I had 10 gaming tables and 2 sci-fi tables I would absolutely make sure I pushed to get the fact that I had both things there. If I only get 2% of my visitors looking over the sci-fi stuff that's 2% more revenue then I would have had if it was just a gaming con.

Plus it always helps get gamers friends and girlfriends into the building if you give people that aren't gamers that shopper experience.

Hell I bet if you tack on Computer on the end of the title you would at least get another 2% revenue.

All these little drops in the bucket go a LONG way to keeping a Great Con from going under.
Please Read MadScott
And Please Visit http://www.nightgig.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Hawk at 12:11PM, Jan. 6, 2006
(online)
Here in Idaho they have a convention called Fandemonium, and it caters to anime, gaming, tabletop RPGs, comics, sci-fi, and more. You'd think they'd be a little watered-down with all those topic, but it actually does provide enough fun for fans of every one of those things. I think it shows that there can be a convention devoted to more than one thing that doesn't just superficially claim it supports extra things.

I think that's an important thing that Jalford brings up, though. If you're an anime fan and some convention claims to cater to anime fans, but you go there and it's almost all gaming, you'd be justified in feeling a little ripped off. Conventions need to back up their convictions… some people travel far and pay a lot to attend them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
madscott at 1:10PM, Jan. 6, 2006
(online)
Hawk
Conventions need to back up their convictions… some people travel far and pay a lot to attend them.
Buyer Beware!
Your right some con goers drop a lot of money to attend a con they should have done a bit more research on.
I totally agree by the way. If a con had misleading advertising I would feel totally justified in demanding my money back. But if all I had to go on was a flyer that said GAMING CON, and Anime. I would have to call ahead and see just what size show and what venders would be there.
Please Read MadScott
And Please Visit http://www.nightgig.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
marine at 11:50PM, Jan. 6, 2006
(offline)
I for one love to hear whining about advertising. You're going to get the advertising and marketing dick shoved up your ass anyway it goes man.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Hawk at 1:09AM, Jan. 7, 2006
(online)
madscott
But if all I had to go on was a flyer that said GAMING CON, and Anime. I would have to call ahead and see just what size show and what venders would be there.

There's a good point. It's important to do a little research before you get on the plane to a con, that's for sure. It seems like at least the good cons give you a lot of information on their guests and many of the attractions.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
jalford at 1:32AM, Jan. 9, 2006
(online)
Fine. But that's a GAMING CON. Not a con with 90% gaming trying to be something more than a gaming con. Like, if you spent all the money to go the San Diego Comic Con, and you got there and found out that the actual “comic” part of it had been consumed by gaming-related programming, then it wouldn't actually be much of a “comic” con then. Would it? It'd be as obvious as a Stormtrooper at a Star Trek con. They need to establish dividers for this kinda stuff. I have no problem with multi-genre cons, or cross-fandom cons, or whatever you wanna label them as. But if a con is for the large part a gaming con, then it should be labeled as a gaming con. If some kid who happens to like anime is looking up on the net and sees something in the next state that's billed as an “anime con”, and then convinces their parents to drive them the 2-3 hours to the next state to the con to find out its mainly in fact a gaming con, then that's kind of a big waist of time and effort. Just a little truth in advertisement is all I'm asking for. Even though I know that actual “truth” in advertisement is an oxy-moron on its own.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved