Random Discussion

Gasp! Such audacity!
Product Placement at 7:29AM, April 4, 2009
(online)
Boy, British media are a weird bunch. I just bumped into a headline stating "Michele Obama DARES to hug queen. Buckingham Palace: First lady did not offend queen.“ Upon reading the article it states that the two ladies got on pretty well and even broke protocol by hugging. The British media apparently is in a shock because of this ”perplexing“ behavior. Paul Keating, a former Australian prime minister, attempted a similar thing in 1992 and got dubbed ”The lizard of Oz“. When his successor, John Howard, was accused of doing the same, a spokesman insisted: ”We firmly deny that there was any contact whatsoever“. Even pour old Bush got criticized for winking her at one point. I'm sorry if I'm not civilized enough to understand or anything but just because she's the head of a practicably obsolete monarchy, does that mean you can't touch her? Should we permanently mount her inside a glass protected globe and shoot anyone who stains the glass on sight?

Additional headlines from other sources include: ”Protocol is abandoned as Michelle Obama cosies up to Queen.“ ”A touch too far by Michelle Obama?"
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
seventy2 at 8:13AM, April 4, 2009
(online)
gasp, how horrendous. i cant believe she would dare such a thing!

in my family, you gotta know each other for 18 years straight, and be drunk before engaging in such, close ways.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:29PM
Custard Trout at 9:08AM, April 4, 2009
(offline)
We just like being angry at America, it makes our national balls feel bigger.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
Chernobog at 9:30AM, April 4, 2009
(offline)
“You got a little schmutz on your face, hold on…”
And lo', there was a chorus of ‘ha-rumph!’ to be had by doddering old men.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
lba at 10:56AM, April 4, 2009
(online)
Custard Trout
[/quote

I'm guessing that you all enjoy just being contrary for the sake of it. I can't think of any other explanation why you call us a bunch of prudes for getting upset at the President sleeping with a horse in a blue dress and then start riots over hugging the queen.

Then again, it's Michelle Obama so maybe they thought she was going to stab her. She is kind of scary.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Custard Trout at 3:57PM, April 4, 2009
(offline)
lba
Custard Trout

I'm guessing that you all enjoy just being contrary for the sake of it. I can't think of any other explanation why you call us a bunch of prudes for getting upset at the President sleeping with a horse in a blue dress and then start riots over hugging the queen.

We do like being contrary, yes, but you misunderstand the reason people are pissed off.

According to the ever knowledgeable Bloke At The Bus Stop, it's because the queen is the leader of our great nation, and touching her is considered disrespectful, both to her and us. Of course, sexy, smart types like me don't give a shit, which apparently make me guilty of treason.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
lothar at 4:20PM, April 4, 2009
(online)
i think it would have been much more news worthy if she had socked the queen in the face . that would have been hilarious . for historical reasons
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
ozoneocean at 12:27AM, April 5, 2009
(online)
If she did “hug the Queen” I think that's inappropriate. :)

Because it Fu*king shits me when people do that all the time to other people who they don't know in the slightest and aren't familiar with! It's a stupid, idiotic childish custom and people should be criticised until they STOP it!
It's like air kissing and all those other public displays of fake sincerity.

Augh!!!!! >.<

…Not that I even know or care whether this happened or not. The principal is what annoys me.

And Paul Keating didn't do anything similar; it was a rather different thing in a different context. they were turning around to walk somewhere else and he put his arm around her to guide her along the right way- like you'd do to an elderly woman.
The British press criticised him for being a “lizard” but he really should have been criticised for being patronising.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
lba at 2:06AM, April 5, 2009
(online)
Custard Trout
We do like being contrary, yes, but you misunderstand the reason people are pissed off.

According to the ever knowledgeable Bloke At The Bus Stop, it's because the queen is the leader of our great nation, and touching her is considered disrespectful, both to her and us. Of course, sexy, smart types like me don't give a shit, which apparently make me guilty of treason.

Naw. I get it. It's the same reason we flip out over our president doing something brainless. And we get accused of being unpatriotic or being retarded rednecks if we say we don't care that the bastard sexed up an aide.
Pineapple at 3:31AM, April 5, 2009
(online)
Maybe everyone is afraid that if they hug the Queen hard enough she'll crumple into dust.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
HippieVan at 1:38PM, April 5, 2009
(online)
This obviously isn't something worth making a fuss over, but I do find it a little odd. I don't really hug anyone the first time I meet them, and I definitely would not hug the queen if I met her.
I agree with what ozone said about hugs and that. Hugs are for people you love.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
skoolmunkee at 2:35PM, April 5, 2009
(online)
She didn't HUG the queen, it was one of those weird little half-hugs where you just sorta put one arm around each other and you're standing side to side. And the Queen started it. :|
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
Product Placement at 5:40PM, April 5, 2009
(online)
skoolmunkee
She didn't HUG the queen, it was one of those weird little half-hugs where you just sorta put one arm around each other and you're standing side to side. And the Queen started it. :|
Which goes to show how far reporters are willing to make their headlines sound over the top in order to sell their paper.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
bravo1102 at 11:06PM, April 5, 2009
(online)
Well if it had been a proper presentation in the throne room, Michelle would have had to courtsey before the Queen and if she had touched the royal person would have been shuffled off to the TOWER!!!!

Sorry been watching those Elizabethan dramas again. Behold the head of a traitor!

This is the 21st Century kiddies, not the 17th.

I use every excuse I can get to embrace and kiss women. :) I don't care how fake it is, I just like women.

As for you Ozone with your “fake” showings of affection, spoken like a true-blue cold stand-offish English type. “Yes, well, right, none of that emotional molly-coddling here!” :)

Sounds like someone didn't get enough hugs today. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
ozoneocean at 3:52AM, April 6, 2009
(online)
bravo1102
I use every excuse I can get to embrace and kiss women. :) I don't care how fake it is, I just like women.
Fair enough… But in this case it's a really old woman. And this was two women doing it, so in your case it'd have to be two men. :)
bravo1102
As for you Ozone with your “fake” showings of affection, spoken like a true-blue cold stand-offish English type. “Yes, well, right, none of that emotional molly-coddling here!” :)

Oi, get back! lol!

lothar at 5:00AM, April 6, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Because it Fu*king shits me when people do that all the time to other people who they don't know in the slightest and aren't familiar with! It's a stupid, idiotic childish custom and people should be criticised until they STOP it!

yea i hate that touchy lovey crap . i always thought it looked so stupid when bush would do that kind a stuff . i think americans are way too invasive of other peoples personal space . like a bunch of AA crybabies
ozoneocean at 5:38AM, April 6, 2009
(online)
lothar
ozoneocean
yea i hate that touchy lovey crap . i always thought it looked so stupid when bush would do that kind a stuff . i think americans are way too invasive of other peoples personal space . like a bunch of AA crybabies
So true :)

I don't mind when people really are friends though… I mean I have a lot of Eastern European and South American friends- they're the huggy, grabby sort- and that's fine when you KNOW them; when those expressions of familiarity occur because that familiarity actually exists in the first place. :)

skoolmunkee at 9:59AM, April 6, 2009
(online)
lothar
i think americans are way too invasive of other peoples personal space . like a bunch of AA crybabies

What? I've gotten way more unwelcome hugs, cheek-air-kisses, and touches on the arm and stuff here than I ever got in America. For a country that has an uptight reputation, Englanders sure like to touch other people.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 3:08PM, April 6, 2009
(offline)
I'm glad I don't live in or plan to live in and hate both countries.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
Product Placement at 3:22PM, April 6, 2009
(online)
bravo1102

lothar
i think americans are way too invasive of other peoples personal space . like a bunch of AA crybabies
!?!?!?!?!?

I always thought that the whole “eww! You're invading my personal space” was an American thing and that they accused Europeans to be too touchy feely, especially when they're dealing with southern Europe. I myself see nothing wrong with a hug. I won't hug someone I don't know, far from it, but family members, friends, and acquaintances I haven't seen for a long time are probably gonna get a hug from me.

I once had a capoeira instructor who was french and he hugged all of his students, every time we came to class.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
lba at 5:01PM, April 6, 2009
(online)
Yeah… Speaking as an American who has spent a good deal of time outside the country, we're really not that huggy feely a people compared to a lot of other nations. Even the Canadians are more likely to randomly hug you than us.
lothar at 6:13PM, April 6, 2009
(online)
skoolmunkee
lothar

What? I've gotten way more unwelcome hugs, cheek-air-kisses, and touches on the arm and stuff here than I ever got in America. For a country that has an uptight reputation, Englanders sure like to touch other people.

yea i guess it's not fair , because i'm compairing americans to japanese . compaired to japan , any country could be considered touchy feely sort
Puff_Of_Smoke at 8:12AM, April 7, 2009
(offline)
lba
Yeah… Speaking as an American who has spent a good deal of time outside the country, we're really not that huggy feely a people compared to a lot of other nations. Even the Canadians are more likely to randomly hug you than us.
Actually, a lot of the young people here are racist drug addicted wanks. The rest of the people that aren't part of the group known as ‘youth’ are racist liberal wanks.

We'd rather tell you to go away.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
lothar at 9:16AM, April 7, 2009
(online)
Puff_Of_Smoke
Actually, a lot of the young people here are racist drug addicted wanks. The rest of the people that aren't part of the group known as ‘youth’ are racist liberal wanks.

We'd rather tell you to go away.

wut ? go away from where ?
Dark Pascual at 12:03PM, April 9, 2009
(online)
That kind of things are hard to undestand for us Americans (speaking of North, Central and South America) because we are “sons of the Democracy”.

We never will understand entirely the protocols about monarchy, because we always had a Democratic Goverment (theorically).

Some of us Latin Americans have similar issues about Spanish Monarchy…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
Pineapple at 6:42AM, April 10, 2009
(online)
I know a guy for like two weeks now, and I've only talked to him a couple of times, but he's one of those people who thinks hugging is cute. You know who I mean, they run at you and yell “hugs!”, grab you and then giggle. I can't stand that. He is also really fat and quite, quite smelly.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved