Debate and Discussion

Getchyer Mad On!!!
mapaghimagsik at 9:01AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
Okay, this was some funny stuff. But, I know it'll offend some of my christian fellow comics.

So, I figured I'd dump it here.

Discussion Topic: This is funny as all get out. Feel free to disagree.

The Nine Most Badass Bible Verses
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
ozoneocean at 9:36AM, Dec. 4, 2007
(online)
I dunno… It's mildly funny, I suppose it'd be more funny if I thought it was naughty for some reason, but I'm not a religious person and I don't even know any religious people who'd be offended by that sort of thing so it doesn't matter too much too me one way or another.

Heh, it does bring back to me something I thought about when I was little: if I'd been taught more about the old testament than all that lovey dovey Jesus stuff maybe I'd have been more interested. The Jesus stuff is really quite sensible, compassionate philosophy, good lessons to learn for adults, but kids (like I was anyway), just can't relate to that.

Heh, that's why as a kid I preferred Celtic, Roman, Greek, and Norse mythology to Christian. More of the fun stuff!

Norse still appeals more, the bizarre amorality of it, the focus on battle, and the veneration of knowledge tied with art is really quite intriguing, even as many parts of it are a little repellent… (the casual attitude to violent murder and seeming advocacy of war).

—————————————

The funniest and most horrible, worst, stupidest, even offensive Jesus thing I've ever seen was a comic by Rob Leibfeld that showed a crucified Jesus going off to do battle with and conquer all the gods in the Greek and Norse Pantheons. It was extremely awful, funny too, but his debasement of the non-Christian mythologies was offensive to me in an intellectual way, he really miss-represented them badly. That man is a menace lol!
Mostly it was plain moronic.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
SwinS at 2:24PM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
In regards to #1, he wasn't making a scarf. He was making a wallet.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
mapaghimagsik at 2:26PM, Dec. 4, 2007
(offline)
Don't make me pray for bears.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Pixie at 4:53PM, Dec. 4, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
Norse still appeals more, the bizarre amorality of it, the focus on battle, and the veneration of knowledge tied with art is really quite intriguing, even as many parts of it are a little repellent… (the casual attitude to violent murder and seeming advocacy of war).

I actually think that's one of the coolest bits about Norse mythology! Not the violence per se, but more the incredible bravery of the people. They believed that all their actions were preordained from birth - they believed in fate, basically - so there was no point in being a coward! If you were destined to die in battle, then there was no avoiding it - being a coward was just a bit silly. :) So they feared nothing! Which I think is brilliant! XD

Sorry, hugely offtopic. But mythology is my favourite topic, I can't help sticking my oar in… hee. :3
Alaka-bwee-oop! Old school.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
CharleyHorse at 5:09AM, Dec. 5, 2007
(offline)
I thought it was funny stuff in general, but for some reason the following passage describing Samson's swinging around the jawbone of an ass startled a laugh out of me:

Someone
What should be emphasized in this story was the bravery of the Philistine soldiers, specifically the ones in the back who kept charging even after seeing 700 or so of their comrades go down with shattered skulls. We're talking about guys who probably climbed over a pile of bodies 15-feet high to get to him.

I think that even way back when I was still religious I would have found this stuff hilarious. Thinking about it though, I figure it's more because the writer knows how to drag a chuckle or two out of most readers regardless of the subject matter.

Good find!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved