Media Megaforum

Gigcast Review - Fast and True
joeychips at 10:07PM, July 6, 2007
(online)
Halfway down the page on my Silly Daddy site I posted a three paragraph review of the Gigcast (the webcomics podcast you can get to from the DD home page). I hope you like the review at http://joechiappetta.blogspot.com/2007/06/silly-daddy-jedipod.html. Scroll down to just past the Gigcast banner to read it.

What do you think of the Gigcast?
Joe Chiappetta
www.SillyDaddy.net
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
SpANG at 10:39AM, July 9, 2007
(online)
JT and crew do a great job with it. I'm happy to sometimes be a part of it. :D

And the 100th episode will be coming up soon!! Wonder if anything is planned?
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
marine at 3:38PM, July 9, 2007
(offline)
I think the gigcast is boring, almost mind numbingly boring.

I've known JTPokie since the begging of Drunk Duck. Talked to him on MSN a few times. Not much, but still I knew the guy. I often teased him about not doing his web comic.

Now when the gigcast was announced, I thought it was something that could be potentially really cool and a great way to showcase webcomics. Not the case at all.

They said that they would feature, review, and talk to anyone that asked them to. Positive or negative. I thought “Could be nice to let people hear my smoothe man-voice and show that I'm not a complete moron or vulgar character.” I posted a message on their forum, while funny, was dead serious about getting an interview and review. I've saved the entire thread just to show off how backwards these guys are.

Now I know my comics aren't for everyone. I always say that anyone can find something they like in penis, but it ain't the case. Its vulgar and some argue offensive, but its a comic on the internet. You have to have a certain idea of what to expect with a name like penis anyway. I think around this time I was starting to experiment with calling penis, “name” and using once a month thirty pages of two story arcs that I innovatory made scrolling all on one page. The latest ones were about characters called Faggot Man, whose since appeared in penis as a regular character.

I tried to get involved with the night gig community, but have been unceremoniously banned, and am unable to post on forumss for guys I consider peers like KC Green or Raymond Cobbs.

The guys just spit in my face really. Because I wasn't part of their ass-kissing cliouqe circle jerk that they have going for the interviews I listened to. They do boring stuff. Nothing exciting happens at all. I listened to it recently (months ago) and the most interesting part was Black Kitty reading off Drunk Duck stuff. I just couldn't get into it at all.

What do you think now? The thread in question is still around. Its not that I hold a grudge or anything, its just that when people don't like me for whatever reason, I tend to not forget. I'm in a position now where they would interview me, but they wouldn't ask me anything interesting. Just stock questions. Its the same problem with Skoolmonkees interviews on here. Its nothing personal against her, its just that if you ask boring stock questions you get boring stock answers. I hadn't planned on saying any curse words at all, and would've been on my best behavior possible. I would probably have been hilariously funny and gained tremedous respect in the community. Instead, they decided to ban me from their community, drunk ducks sister site, and call me an asshole. What am I supposed to think of the gigcast?

Its dorks talking about dorky stuff. If you like comic books or video games, and you wouldn't be reading this on the internet if you didn't, you'll like the gigcast. If you're a guy trying to make it with your own personal dick & fart jokes, they don't want you. Maybe they do want you, maybe its just me they don't want. Who knows. But you can't expect people to respect your review/interview skills when you never say or talk about anyone negatively. I didn't want the plugs from it, I wanted to talk about my comic work. I would've explained what should be clear to anyone reading penis, and that I've said time and time again: its a parody of bad webcomics, it works on more than just a comedic level, and its one of the funniest comics you'll ever read for free. I would've taken any criticisms like I take any critism here, sarcastic comments. It would've been a great interview and put the gigcast on the map. I would've been asked back as a regular or recurring person on their show. I've worked a telemarketer before and have spoken with a few Drunk Duckers on here on xbox live, so they know how smoothe my man voice can be.

Its a shame really.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
ozoneocean at 6:48PM, July 11, 2007
(online)
Well I LOVED the garbage gnomes!!!!!!!! That was friken fantastic! I want more! MORRREEEE!
No review, I just loved the bit so much. It's like a webcomic for my EARS. Radio plays rule.

Great work on your bit Spang ^^

Marine, do a competing Marinecast :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
SpANG at 8:36AM, July 12, 2007
(online)
marine
Sour grapes
ozoneocean
Marine, do a competing Marinecast :)
I loud-ded.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
JTPokie at 11:14AM, July 12, 2007
(online)
Marine,

I probably have that thread somewhere too, the one that explains why we didn't interview you.

I don't remember ever saying we would “talk to anyone”, but I do remember saying we would gladly listen to any drive-by you would like to submit, and if it was not too “Blue” it might be used on the show, and that offer is still open. If you have something to say, an opinion, a review that you want others to hear, bring it on. But rules of civility still apply.

As for “dorks talking about dorky stuff” as I have explained The Gigcast isn't a hard hitting “lets stir up controversy” in your face news show, it's more of an Entertainment Tonight of webcomics (and other “NightGigs”). We talk about what we enjoy and think other people might enjoy as well (“dorks talking about dorky stuff”, hell it is a Podcast). If thats not your cup of tea, well, to each his own.

As for the rest, you were banned form the NightGig forum for being abusive to others, satirical or not, it doesn't matter, you were abusive. I always said, one on one you were a pretty nice guy, with an audience, you were an obnoxious jerk. I haven't talked with you in over a year, so I don't know if that has changed.

As for spitting in your face, when you asked for an interview, The Gigcast was new, and you were at the hight of your “Satire”, not exactly the sort of interviews we were looking for. And now as a Podcast approaching it's 2 year mark, I think it still isn't the interview we are looking for.

JT

Still would gladly accept a Drive-By submission.

What's Your Gig? http://www.nightgig.com

The Gigcast
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
madscott at 12:05PM, July 12, 2007
(online)
joeychips
Halfway down the page on my Silly Daddy site I posted a three paragraph review of the Gigcast (the webcomics podcast you can get to from the DD home page). I hope you like the review at http://joechiappetta.blogspot.com/2007/06/silly-daddy-jedipod.html. Scroll down to just past the Gigcast banner to read it.

What do you think of the Gigcast?

BTW.. Thanks Joey!
Please Read MadScott
And Please Visit http://www.nightgig.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
lefarce at 12:21PM, July 12, 2007
(offline)
I'm actually somewhat inclined to agree with Marine on this one. Not because I asked for an interview or anything (though I was turned down for a review, but I think I might have gone through the wrong channels for that), but because there is just too much babble and not enough pressing news or anything of real interest to me. It's just two guys talking about their day for fifteen minutes and then maybe some news about webcomics. Or they'll mention comic authors without dropping key details that anyone who is not in the know needs to understand the conversation. Its like walking into the middle of an A-B conversation, it's difficult to follow. I feel that there is just too much fluff mixed with in side information and not enough attention grabbing content to keep me tuning in for each episode.

Maybe it's changed but who knows. Overall it just doesn't really impress me. Then again, most podcasts don't, so oh well.

I've worked a telemarketer before and have spoken with a few Drunk Duckers on here on xbox live, so they know how smoothe my man voice can be.

Being one of those people I can assure you his man voice is as smooth as a summer breeze.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
madscott at 12:36PM, July 12, 2007
(online)
lefarce
(though I was turned down for a review, but I think I might have gone through the wrong channels for that)
I don't recall the request. It may even be that we just missed it or forgot is all.

lefarce
Or they'll mention comic authors without dropping key details that anyone who is not in the know needs to understand the conversation.

Your not the first to mention that and it is something that we try to work on. We pretty unscripted. We will work on it though.

lefarce
it just doesn't really impress me. Then again, most podcasts don't, so oh well.

Fair enough

Seriously I love getting feedback like this, good or bad.
Please Read MadScott
And Please Visit http://www.nightgig.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
JTPokie at 3:17PM, July 12, 2007
(online)
madscott
lefarce
(though I was turned down for a review, but I think I might have gone through the wrong channels for that)
I don't recall the request. It may even be that we just missed it or forgot is all.

Yeah he did request the interview in the forum thread on NightGig that he linked to in his post here. And we said no. and there were a few people who said we should interview them.. and then I posted my reasoning why we said no.. as i realize most people will not link over to read the thread, here is that reason.

JTPokie
From this thread on NightGig.com
Here is the deal.

It's not his comics.

It's him. Or more specifically, the persona he has played in the chat rooms for the last 3 plus years, which keeps me from having any desire to interview him. Having had to deal with him in the Drunk Duck and Night Gig chat rooms, I have had my fill.

He has been abrasive, insulting, juvenile, and downright crude crass and just plain annoying. He pushes the line in everything he does, and unfortunately, the direction in which he takes things tends to rub most people the wrong way. He has offended to many people that I respect, to give him a larger audience (heh, all 12 listeners)

Funny thing is, one on one, Marine can be civil, and I have actually had interesting conversations with him. But as soon as he has an audience, it all falls apart.

I actually don?t have a problem with his comics, and do not doubt his intelligence, and it wouldn?t surprise me if he were really trying to make a point about the subjects he revisits, again, and again, and again? and again.

If I had never met Marine in chat, there may have been a chance for an interview. Given his longevity, and sheer number of webcomics he has created over the years, he may have actually made an interesting interview.

The Gigcast is not about cutting edge controversy and the social impact of web comics. It?s not a hard hitting in your face investigative report news show. It?s about finding what we like in art on the web, and letting people know about it, talking to the people involved in creating these things.

Scott is right about many things, including that we have the say on who we interview. In this case it will not be Marine. We may be wrong. History may show Marine as the Andy Kaufman of the webcomic world, But I?m willing to take that chance.

Sorry Marine.

JT (Tim) Shea

The Gigcast
marine at 3:30PM, July 12, 2007
(offline)
JTPokie
I don't remember ever saying we would “talk to anyone”, but I do remember saying we would gladly listen to any drive-by you would like to submit, and if it was not too “Blue” it might be used on the show, and that offer is still open. If you have something to say, an opinion, a review that you want others to hear, bring it on. But rules of civility still apply.

What is a drive-by submission and how do I do it? I'll bite the bullet and do it. My followers deserve a good belly laugh.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
JTPokie at 4:56PM, July 12, 2007
(online)
marine
JTPokie

What is a drive-by submission and how do I do it? I'll bite the bullet and do it. My followers deserve a good belly laugh.

Here

The Gigcast
fern at 8:03PM, July 13, 2007
(online)
BK was hellawsum! And I love her even more for her, Sucks to be you quote.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:27PM
Bekefel at 8:11PM, July 13, 2007
(offline)
Leff
I've worked a telemarketer before and have spoken with a few Drunk Duckers on here on xbox live, so they know how smoothe my man voice can be.

Also being one of those people, I can assure you his voice is a smooth as the foamy pebbles on the beach.
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:16AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved