Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

GIMP 2.4 released
gigatwo at 2:43PM, Oct. 24, 2007
(online)
http://gimp.org

Click on the link to the release notes to see what the new features are. I have to say, the site redesign is pretty nice too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
CharleyHorse at 3:36PM, Oct. 24, 2007
(offline)
Awesome! I've been waiting for the official release with baited breath. I'm going to read the release notes and then install the upgrade. Thanks for the alert!

I'm back after about a fifteen minute break. It took about five minutes to download and then kick up the new GIMP release. Well, considerably less time than that actually. Just to try it out, I have kicked up an old sketch and performed a bit of touch-up work on it. Worked like a charm. Frankly it's too bad that so many people are wedded to PhotoShop when The Gimp can do everything PhotoShop does and you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for it or steal it off the Internet.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
gigatwo at 7:30PM, Oct. 25, 2007
(online)
I think a lot of the issues that make the gimp a hard program for some to like stems from the multi-window user interface. It's designed to be used on multiple-workspace desktop environments (the kind that usually accompany Linux distros), where multiple windows can actually be a plus. I guess I'm too used to the GUI to even care about working though all the windows. It's pretty smooth at this point.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
okamimako at 7:46PM, Oct. 25, 2007
(offline)
Ha, downloaded it yesterday and it looks so purty. Actually skipped making more comics to play with it.

And it's about time they added a variable size bar for the brushes. I no longer have to draw in size 7, 5, or 3!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:21PM
CharleyHorse at 5:40AM, Oct. 26, 2007
(offline)
Yeah, okamimako the variable size bar is sweet. I like it very much!

Same here Gigatwo, after all this time I no longer notice the multiple windows feature. Mostly I think the disparity in popularity is because PhotoShop was first and spends huge amounts in advertisement and also because as a result of being first has a tremendous ocean of tutorials available online and for free. It all adds up.

Personally I get a trifle suspicious when a company investing huge sums in advertising tells me to trust that they are the supreme program for my applications just because they tell me so.

Meanwhile I'm content to get the same work done with The Gimp that other people do with PhotoShop.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved