Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Gimp frustrations
Demonik at 6:15AM, Sept. 2, 2009
(offline)
I seem to be making a lot of topics lately. Anyway. I'm trying to use gimp since that seems to be the closest thing to familiar to what i was used to using.(flash 8) but I seem to either have the intelligence of a rock or gimp just refuses to acknowledge my want to continue drawing.

Anyway. The problem is, what I would think is extremely simple to other, that I can't seem to be able to move an image up or down or left or right without moving the entire thing. I've used the rectangle tool, selected the image, tried moving it.

To little success. I managed to make the selection…

Just not the image. The image remains stationary no matter what I do(other then moving when I move the entire layer). i tried created a new one and moving the image that way, buuut. I just get a checkered gray background behind the main layer. And it's just a little frustrating for me because I either lack patience or just can't seem to find any way to solve this little problem no matter what I do.

Anyway to fix this? Or should I just find a simpiler program to use? like MSPaint.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
Astar at 6:49PM, Sept. 2, 2009
(offline)
Okay a mini tutorial here,

Load an image, menu layer/duplicate layer(shift+ctrl+D), select an area with the selection tool then menu select/float(shift+ctrl+L), now choose the move tool (M), move selection around and when happy layer/anchor layer(shift+H). This should do the trick.

If you don't duplicate the layer, it will work the same except you'll get a white(or whatever background colour you have)rectangle where the selection was. So if you duplicate the layer it works as a “copy selection” and if not as “move selection”.

NOTE: As this is a comics forum, I think you will find it easier to use layers. ie: let's say you have drawn a nice background and now you want to draw a character over it. Make a new layer and draw it on this, then you can move, resize etc. and when happy just merge it or flatten image.

Hope this helped.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
ksteak at 12:56AM, Sept. 3, 2009
(online)
Inkscape would be closer to Flash 8 than Gimp would be.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
Demonik at 4:51PM, Sept. 3, 2009
(offline)
Well I haven't tried Inkscape yet. I'll give it a try later and see how it is. Thanks and also thanks for helping me with the move thing in Gimp.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved