Random Discussion

Gingers Unite!
ParkerFarker at 5:19AM, May 5, 2010
(online)
Well I was just mozying around on facebook and saw a ginger-hate group, being a ginger, I figured it'd be fun to go and have some casual word-sparring on it. I like to think what ensued could be considered hilarity. Though there are some racist people on facebook…

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30649767&id=1353167688#!/group.php?gid=112405855466680&v=wall&story_fbid=114591391914793

(I'm Jake btw)

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
ozoneocean at 5:46AM, May 5, 2010
(online)
I have ginger pubes.

…wait. You didn't need to know that did you?
Too late now! :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
lba at 4:53PM, May 5, 2010
(online)
Is there a difference between a ginger and a redhead? Because redheads are hot, but calling a girl a ginger just sounds f**king stupid.

Then again, I still don't even understand why the derogatory term for someone with red hair focuses on the fact that they have pale skin ( I can't come up with another reason why they're called gingers beyond that ginger is white and so is most red head's skin.) The damn term doesn't even refer to what they actually have a problem with. At least calling someone a negro is logical if not exactly polite. Ginger just seems like the sort of stupid retort most of us resorted to when the other middle school kids got the “your mom” card in first.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
ozoneocean at 6:01PM, May 5, 2010
(online)
*psst, It's a joke group.
————-

Ginger isn't white, it's brownish orange. :)

lba at 7:45PM, May 5, 2010
(online)
I know it's a joke. Friggin' south park made it. But I still don't understand how anyone could take it seriously or how the damn word even stuck around given how stupid it is, and I know they do because I've met people who hate redheads.

And where I buy ginger, it's white on the inside, pale brown on the outside. No orange involved.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
ozoneocean at 8:47PM, May 5, 2010
(online)
The anti-ginger thing is older than Southpark. It's been going on in Britain and Australia for over a hundred years.
Probably goes back to a prejudice against the Irish- and that of course is all part of the old Catholic/protestant wars…
lba
And where I buy ginger, it's white on the inside, pale brown on the outside. No orange involved.
Raw ginger root yes, but the way people used to commonly buy it in was a sugared, processed form… Or something. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but it'd be in orangey-brown transparent chunks.
You'd eat it like that or add it to food.

Dried, cooked ginger, ready to be made into sweets:

Think of it in terms of Vanilla- Commonly when you buy food labelled “vanilla” it is usually pure white or pale cream. And the term is used to describe something bland, unmodified, or unadventurous.
That has nothing to do with actual vanilla though of course, with is an extremely flavourful, very dark bean- it is NOT white, or bland. But because it was so well liked as a flavour it became the standard, and then a cheap substitute was invented and now that is used instead.
-We know the word “vanilla” not because of the bean it comes from, but because of the history of its use and the sparing use of a flavour substitute with that name. lol!

—————————

Here's an archival example of the ginger hair prejudice-
From “The Magic Pudding” by Norman Lindsey, published in 1918:

'The whole thing's a low put-up job on our noble credulity,' said Sam,
casting himself down beside Bill.

'It's one of the most frightful things that's ever happened,' said Bill.

'It's worse than treading on tacks with bare feet,' said Sam.

'It's worse than bein' caught stealin' fowls,' said Bill.

'It's worse than bein' stood on by cows,' said Sam.

'It's almost as bad as havin' an uncle called Aldobrantifoscofornio,'
said Bill, and they both sang loudly–

‘It’s worse than weevils, worse than warts,
It's worse than corns to bear.
It's worse than havin' several quarts
Of treacle in your hair.

‘It’s worse than beetles in the soup,
It's worse than crows to eat.
It's worse than wearin' small-sized boots
Upon your large-sized feet.

‘It’s worse than kerosene to boose,
It's worse than ginger hair.
It's worse than anythin' to lose
A Puddin' rich and rare.'

——And even there it's done in a humorous way. :)
The context is that the Magic Pudding has been stolen by pudding-thieves and they;re talking about how awful it is for someone to steal pudding. ^___^

—————-
You could say that Marvel comics is anti ginger for re-imagining the God Thor as a blonde. In the Eddas he's described as an angry red headed, red bearded fellow.

JoeL_CQB at 12:07AM, May 6, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
I have ginger pubes.

…wait. You didn't need to know that did you?
Too late now! :)

that means you're a fire crotch so you don't count!
>:)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
BffSatan at 2:34AM, May 6, 2010
(online)
Jake Parker
You're all dickfaces.
lol
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
ParkerFarker at 3:59AM, May 6, 2010
(online)
woah, I thought you might have to put this in the debate and discussion thread, there, ozone. Heated stuff.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
Product Placement at 7:57AM, May 6, 2010
(online)
lba
Is there a difference between a ginger and a redhead?
Apparently there is. A ginger is supposed to be these very specific group of redheads, who burn easilly in the sun and have lots and lots of freckles.

Cartman calls redheaded people who aren't ginger, daywalkers.

I wasn't even aware of this silly hatred thing until I saw that South Park episode. It's lovely how they managed to spread the phylosophy of a brand new type of hatred and bring it to my attention.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:52PM
noncannonfireworks at 8:14AM, May 6, 2010
(online)
Who said you could speak anyway?
The interesting thing about a signature is that you can put anything on it. No matter how pointless.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:17PM
HippieVan at 3:42PM, May 6, 2010
(online)
Maybe I'm just overly sensitive, but that group kind of made me feel sick. Ugh, why is it that people find so many ways to hate? I know it's meant to be a joke, but still…
I don't know, I guess I wouldn't qualify as a ginger anyway? My hair is more of a “copper” colour than orange, and I have freckles but I'm not overly pale(at least I don't think so).

I hope this doesn't catch on too much, though. Spent enough time being made fun of for being short and speaking funny, I don't need crap for my hair colour.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
ozoneocean at 9:58PM, May 6, 2010
(online)
Hippie Van
Maybe I'm just overly sensitive, but that group kind of made me feel sick. Ugh, why is it that people find so many ways to hate? I know it's meant to be a joke, but still…
Apparently the people who started the thing were gingers and most of the people commenting were as well.

humorman at 10:40PM, May 7, 2010
(offline)
South park already did it.

Billy vs. Tree – The epic struggle of boy versus tree.
Sonic Colores – It looks like it's going to be a good game because I love how the way it makes me grow.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
Kroatz at 12:38PM, May 13, 2010
(online)
humorman
South park already did it.

Well thank you captain obvious.
Comidion.deviantart.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved