Debate and Discussion

Global Homogenisation?
ozoneocean at 6:05PM, Oct. 8, 2008
(online)
bravo1102
Britain -Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Normans, Danes..
Notto forget the Kelts, and the Jutes etc. I love how genetic studies show that most Brits even today share a closer genetic heritage with people from the Basque region of Spain than anywhere else. Despite all the overlaying cultures, the people themselves haven't changed as much.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
Ironscarfs Ghost at 6:41PM, Oct. 8, 2008
(offline)
Ozoneocean
Notto forget the Kelts, and the Jutes etc. I love how genetic studies show that most Brits even today share a closer genetic heritage with people from the Basque region of Spain than anywhere else. Despite all the overlaying cultures, the people themselves haven't changed as much.

And we never will!

It's an interesting point - does cultural identity go right down to the genetic level, or is it coming from the soil. I like Skullbie's tossed salad idea - that's how we operate here mostly - but I disagree that America is the paragon of cultural diversity.

If you're talking in terms of the different nations that coalesced to form that nation that's one thing, but here and now, London is the centre of cultural diversity to my mind. The several waves of immigrants that have come here over the last 50 years live largely together; in the States there is much more seperation. My wife, who's parents hail from Jamaica, was shocked to see it.

Yet still we retain our Britishness. Arrogant buggers! %)

Er……..boo!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
ozoneocean at 8:39PM, Oct. 8, 2008
(online)
Ironscarfs Ghost
It's an interesting point - does cultural identity go right down to the genetic level
Never. That is interesting though, it gives rise to the false idea of “race”; people confuse culture, nationality and skin tone with genetic heritage. lol!
But genetic heritage proves conclusively that “race” is a fallacy, humans aren't even as different as breeds of dog, or cat species. Meanwhile, people still ascribe to it…

It's funny how people see some places they live as being models of integration and yet outsiders see something very different. People in Sydney see themselves as very culturally diverse and mixed, but when I've been there I was literally shocked at how separated it all was… I saw no aboriginal people at all in big parts of the city, and other places had large groups of single nationalities with almost no mixing at all. It was bizarre.
But then Perth, where I live mainly has people of European decent, and that mostly being from England and Ireland. There are many other nationalities, but they tend to mix in more. That's probably because there aren't enough big groups that congregate as much, as obviously, and as exclusively in a place like Sydney. But I suppose that happens in most places in the world anyway: the bigger the groups of minority ethnicities, the more they're able to stick together within the community, the more you notice that they're separate.
—–

So if cultural mixing is slow even in the flesh…
I think it happens on the net, but not as much as we suppose. Mainly we have a common culture of communication. Language groups really determine how close people are and how much they take on ideas from each other. English is a common language on the net, but there are other massive blocks like the Chinese speakers, Spanish and Portuguese (mainly South American), German, French, Russian, Arab etc.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
Ironscarfs Ghost at 4:24AM, Oct. 9, 2008
(offline)
You leave me nothing to take exception to. :(

My work takes me all over north London and into every kind of property. The biggest
minority community I can think of would be Southall, a very large area populated
mostly by the Indian and Asian community, or so it would appear. Often I'm the only white face I see for hours there (must stop admiring myself in shop windows) but the atmosphere is never in any way ‘ghetto’ish, quite the opposite in fact, but then there's a mix of religions there and probably a sizeable number of ageing white folks who don't get out much. The weather is still the primary topic of conversation.

Come to think of it, we do have areas of racial tension in London. The white, working class ones.
Er……..boo!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
bravo1102 at 7:36AM, Oct. 9, 2008
(online)
Ironscarfs Ghost
It's an interesting point - does cultural identity go right down to the genetic level, or is it coming from the soil. I like Skullbie's tossed salad idea - that's how we operate here mostly - but I disagree that America is the paragon of cultural diversity.

We Americans are very provincal. I've given a lot of examples among people who share what would be considered by many common cultural backgrounds (White European types) America isn't homgenized. Anyone who has traveled across a nation the size of Europe will see a polyglot culture almost as diverse as Europe. Except we all speak English (well mostly, go to China town or various Cultural enclaves in cities. I've had to point out Korean versus Chinese signs and others in both languages. the wife asks “what language is that?” Farsi. And that? Chinese, and what the heck is an abrogado?)

Go to Ohahu in the Hawaiian islands. You'll think you're in Japan. The Hawaiian is the true mix of varied cultures in the USA. Even there the native culture is very strong. You'll see the natives out in force all over, unlike Australia as Oz noted. The major inhabited enclaves of Australia are very small almost like little pacific islands.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
harkovast at 1:56PM, Dec. 1, 2008
(online)
Everyone will form one big culture and come together.
Except for me.
I will be my own culture.
Just me, no one else is allowed to join it.
So in conclusion-
The future will have 2 cultures-
1)Everyone else
2)Me.

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:42PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved