Debate and Discussion

Global Warming
subcultured at 5:28PM, Feb. 13, 2007
(online)
-are you concern that a lot oil companies have been misleading the public about GW?
- do you believe in global warming?
-I think we really need to do some more serious research in low emmission fuel consumption

Some unknown guy
global warming is bad
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 7:44PM, Feb. 13, 2007
(offline)
You know what's funny? Thirty years ago we were all going to die from global cooling.

EDIT: You're watching Boston Legal aren't you?
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:03AM
mlai at 9:16AM, Feb. 15, 2007
(online)
Atom Apple
You know what's funny? Thirty years ago we were all going to die from global cooling.
You know what's funny? “Global cooling” is an anti-conservationalist talking point which has been debunked since the 1970's, which was never a scientific viewpoint to begin with, with started life, ended life, and was repeatedly resurrected only as a popular media pseudo-science viewpoint which has zero backing by true scientific communities.
The fact that a completely unscientific debunked talking point keeps getting resurrected shows how ignorant and stubborn ppl can be, when it comes to not wanting to accept something which goes against their political and lifestyle ideologies.
Before anyone else gets taken in by talking points with little to no science behind them, realize that 1,400 climate scientists all over the world have already reached a consensus on anthropogenic global warming. It's not up to debate.
It is unethical for climate scientists to conduct any more research on RE-proving AGW to the stubborn minority, because it is a waste of time and money proving something that's already proven, when that same time and money can be put to better use finding the solutions to AGW.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Phantom Penguin at 3:00PM, Feb. 15, 2007
(offline)
i oil companys are doing the same thing as tabacco companys did a long time ago. Hiring “scientists” to debunk the bad things that are said about its products.

I think GW is a huge problem and will stay that way until something huge happens.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
subcultured at 3:29PM, Feb. 15, 2007
(online)
seems like the caps are melting with streams of water beneath the West Antarctica ice sheet

“We didn't realise that the water under these ice streams was moving in such large quantities and on such short time scales. We thought these changes took place over years and decades, but we are seeing large changes over months,” says Helen Fricker at the University of California San Diego's Scripps Institution of Oceanography in the US, who led the study.

smells like global disaster is on the horizon
J
LIZARD_B1TE at 3:59PM, Feb. 15, 2007
(online)
Well, you know, Mayan (I think it's Mayan, might be Aztec) legend says the world will end in 2012 AD…

Well, anyway, what are we gonna do about global warming? Give tickets to the sky? (“Damn you, Cumulus clouds!” )

But seriously, we should stop burning everything we contact with.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 8:12PM, Feb. 15, 2007
(offline)
That means you, BFH.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:03AM
lothar at 12:08AM, Feb. 17, 2007
(online)
do i belive in global warming?
that's like asking if i believe in Dinasaurs !!!

who am i suposed to believe , scientists or a group of buisinessmen who stand to gain a great deal if nothing is done at all?
i agree with mlai, Global Warning is not realy up for Debate, unless you are an american!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
subcultured at 7:41AM, Feb. 17, 2007
(online)
seems like we're working on ways to bury the CO2 into the sea or to the ground.

wow
that is so stupid
i wonder if they did some research on how this will compund into a bigger problem

http://www.statoil.com/statoilcom/SVG00990.NSF/web/sleipneren?opendocument

J
ozoneocean at 8:31AM, Feb. 17, 2007
(online)
subcultured
seems like we're working on ways to bury the CO2 into the sea or to the ground.
wow
that is so stupid
i wonder if they did some research on how this will compund into a bigger problem
Yes, I've heard of Carbon sequestration. Why is it stupid and what bigger problem will it cause?
Over reliance on an easy fix? Increasing acidity in groundwater? Sudden explosive leakage of heavy carbon dioxide gas that will flood into low lying areas and suffocate masses of people? :)
-Like what happened in those lakes in Africa…

Are those your concerns?

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
subcultured at 9:23AM, Feb. 17, 2007
(online)
yea like a big bubble just bursting out from the lake killing people with co2
J
Phantom Penguin at 10:31AM, Feb. 17, 2007
(offline)
wow. that won't work at all.
ozoneocean at 11:14AM, Feb. 17, 2007
(online)
Well it's apparently worked since 1996… That's 11 years since they started it. I imagine they've got mining technicians and geologists to work out a way to do it safely. I don't think there's much risk of anything catastrophic… Really, I think the main problem is making people like GWB and John Howard (the Prime Minister of Australia), feel complacent and furthering the illusion for them that technology can hold all the answers so they can keep on doing things as they please without making any concessions in the hope that it'll all turn out all right in the end.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
Phantom Penguin at 12:03PM, Feb. 17, 2007
(offline)
people are just going to get used to taking the easy way out and wont fix the real problem.
LilyRose at 1:14PM, Feb. 17, 2007
(online)
learned something new today. I'd never heard of Carbon Sequestration. Just finished reading up on it.

Fascinating idea. And just what the pigs need to ignore fixing the real problem, as Ph.P. says. It's a good ancillary measure but considering the cost and time involved in fitting CO2 sources with this technology, my guess is it will be a drop in the bucket for a long time to come, and will have little large-scale effect until - if - it becomes an industry standard.

There's a quote from GWB on the DOE's website:

We all believe technology offers great promise to significantly reduce emissions – especially carbon capture, storage and sequestration technologies.

We all know who he's referring to when he says “we all” don't we? You can hear the collective sigh of relief from Fat Asses sitting in leather executive chairs in penthouse executive offices of oil, drilling mining and manufacturing corporations across the nation… the world, even. Whew - put off those pain in the ass environmentalists for another 25 years at least. By then, I'll be gone, and it won't be my problem

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:35PM
subcultured at 1:48PM, Feb. 17, 2007
(online)
im mad
how about mentioning things like hybrid cars, research on alternate energy…just bury the problem so the people that helped him into office won't get mad.
J
reconjsh at 11:13AM, Feb. 23, 2007
(online)
If you haven't seen it: “An Inconvienent Truth” is well worth watching.

As for debate on this subject, it didn't realize there was one… other than the bullshit manufactured one that our current administration is creating. Something needs to be done now!

Seeing the slow self-extermnination, downslide of human liberty, and blantant ignorance of impending doom frightens me. It's like we, as the human race, just decided “Screw it, I don't care if we destroy Earth”.

'Mlai'
It is unethical for climate scientists to conduct any more research on RE-proving AGW to the stubborn minority, because it is a waste of time and money proving something that's already proven, when that same time and money can be put to better use finding the solutions to AGW.

Few people have said it better. *claps*

All I can do is lower my own emissions rates, encourage people I know to do the same, and write my congressmen. All of which I've done. Have you guys?

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
KomradeDave at 2:56PM, Feb. 24, 2007
(online)
Gobal warming? This is the first I've heard of such a thing.
Seriously though, there's not much to debate (as has been mentioned before). Petroleum use is out of control (especially in the states) and the society is so reliant on it they don't even realize how much it is used daily beyond just gas.
The real problem is that no matter how much we want to fix the problem, we're in a Texas size hole with a Rhode Island size ladder. A lot of people don't realize that, at least in America, the soil has been ruined by years of petroleum use in agriculture. It is now next to impossible to get even half the yield American farms were once capable of without using petroleum. This doesn't include the gas needed to harvest and transport (I haven't heard of any hybrid combines yet). Beyond that almost everything nowadays is made of plastic and the lazy fatasses that are loud enough to affect policy don't like to walk. Even if we stopped using gas completely we would still be throwing shit into the air to make iPods, cell-phones (because it's been three weeks, so you NEED a new one), and just about everything disposable.
Adding to the problem is a population that has become lazy and impatient. People now get frustrated if their 3 hour flight is 20 minutes late, ignoring the fact that they just made a trip that would have taken days, if not weeks, 100 years ago. We have a population so lazy that cars are being given the technology to park themselves, how can we expect them to walk or bike anywhere?
To sum it all up, we're doomed.
Handshakes and mustaches are the only ways to know how much you can truly trust a man.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved