Debate and Discussion

God's Gender
magickmaker at 7:26PM, March 26, 2006
(offline)
If you look from a Christain perspective, God is male, but in many other religions, there is at least one God who is female, if not the main or only God. Even the Virgin Mary is, on some level, placed on the the same pedstal as Jesus. Does God possess gender, and if God does, which is it?

(Just to get this rolling, I've always thought of God as female, although I am Christian, in a loose sense of the word.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
PoisonedV at 8:09PM, March 26, 2006
(offline)
He's a divine being, he doesn't have a gender, end of story.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
PoisonedV at 8:15PM, March 26, 2006
(offline)
oh, and magickmaker is a boy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
mykill at 8:19PM, March 26, 2006
(online)
In the world of biology, female is the default gender and male is the variation. You could extrapolate from that a gender of the creator.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
mykill at 8:56PM, March 26, 2006
(online)
I'm pretty clear the Jewish/Christian God is male. Nuns marry God, not Priests. God FATHERED Jesus. God created ADAM in HIS image, the female was an afterthought (unless you subscribe to the myth of Lilith).
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
kyupol at 10:16PM, March 26, 2006
(online)
based on my previous studies of the bible, the “God” being referred to in there is somebody who isnt limited by gender. God was “genderized” there so that people can understand the bible easier.

Face it. Gender IS a limiting factor. Whatever PC bullshit you put into it… equality yadda yadda… genders are different and have strengths and weaknesses.

The male body is designed for heavy tasks… Bigger hands and muscles used for lifting things and combat. The male brain is more efficient performing single tasks. Jobs that require alot of focus is the strength of the male brain. Focus on building things, focus on fighting that enemy soldier in the battlefield… etc…

The female's hands are designed for the more delicate stuff such as sewing clothes. I tried sewing and my granny with a bad eyesight can sew better than me. My large hands find it difficult to properly insert that thread and move it over and over again. The female brain is more designed for communication and multi-tasking. And dont forget the child-bearing ability of the female.

In other words, there are things that men can do that women cant and vice-versa. There are things men do better than women… and vice versa.

There is no superior or inferior gender. Each gender is unique with its own strengths and weaknesses.

Applying that to God… if God was designated to a certain gender, that would also mean that he is incapable of doing the things the designated gender cannot do. That means God will have weaknesses. Which cannot be, since he is “all-powerful”.

If God is an all-powerful being who can do anything, that means that God is not confined to a gender.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
lothar at 5:00AM, March 27, 2006
(online)
why would he need to have a gender anyway ? who is “he” going to have SEX with ??
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Puff at 5:05AM, March 27, 2006
(offline)
It doesn't matter if he has reproductive organs or not, I think of him as having the form of a male. With the stereotypical white robe, sandals, and big white beard. But just because I picture him as a man doesn't mean I think females are subordinate. Nor do I think they're the rulers of the world. I'm not feminine-elitist like that. Men and women are equal to me, so it really wouldn't matter to me if God turned out to be Alanis Morissette, like in Dogma.

Oddly enough though, MagickMaker, I was thinking about this just the other day. I almost made a topic on it, too! But ya beat me. ;)
Insufficient funds, banner reposessed! >:0

http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Cure
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:54PM
ozoneocean at 7:22AM, March 27, 2006
(online)
“God” is male. It's as simple as that. “God” is what we call the primary character in Judao/Christian/Mulsim faith. The way all those texts are set up he's made out to be a man.

The term “Man” btw used to refer to both males and females (at least in English), it was a genderless word.

If “God” really does exist, then it has no gender because it's a divine being that transcends flesh and does not need to procreate. But “god” as we know him from the holy books does have a gender and that gender is male… Also, “God” is generally thought to live in heaven, he lives above us, he comes from the sky: Traditionally sky gods were always male and earth gods were always female.

There’s this old rubbish about the moon being female and the sun being male, but gods of BOTH genders have always been associated with them. It’s the Sky and the Earth which have most strongly represented the gender divide in terms of gods: you have the Earth giving birth to life (female) and the Sky providing that which is required for life (male). Just look at all the older religions and you’ll see it’s the case, Moon and sun gods and goddesses are generally pretty minor (unless the sun god is the main sky god).
You can even see the parallels in Christianity with “god” making Mary pregnant…

So there you have it. If there’s one single god and it’s real, then it should be totally sexless. But if you go by the texts of the major monotheistic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam), as well as their traditions, the history of those religions, and the practices of religions with similar mythologies; then you have to say that “God” is male.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
lothar at 9:13AM, March 27, 2006
(online)
makes sense !
now i realize how little i actualy care about this subject !!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Ronson at 11:30AM, March 30, 2006
(online)
Since God is created in the mind's eye, and since we attribute our own selves to God's identity…

God looks like me.

Exactly. Like. Me.

So if you see me walking down the street, be careful what you do because it might actually be God.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
Ronson at 11:37AM, March 30, 2006
(online)
Although now that I think about it, if you see God, he'll look just like you.

So now I have to be careful when I see someone who doesn't look like me walking down the street. :cry:
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
Fibonacci at 7:53PM, April 8, 2006
(offline)
1) This topic has probably pissed off any Muslims who have read through this.

2) a)God is a divine being, who probably has no gender. (I am not muslim! I am Catholic!)
b)If god did have an appearance god would probably resemble a man because in Genesis, it states something about god making man in his image.
c)The word “God” =, when applied to polytheistic religions, implies that a god is a male deity, while a goddess is a female deity.

3) In the end, isn't all opinion?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
jude_boi at 6:43AM, May 15, 2006
(offline)
fibonacci
3) In the end, isn't all opinion?

Uh, Oh pick me I know the answer to this one! It was on College Jeopardy last time….

Alex Trebek:The known gender of God is this.

Contestant number 2: Uh, What is “Your own opinion”?

AT: Correct!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
LowResAtari at 12:45PM, May 23, 2006
(online)
::opens bible::

::finds a bunch of scriptures in which people call God their “father”::

Yeah… I'm Christian as well…

and I ain't even sure what to believe in the wake of this topic… I've never decided on what gender he is…

But something that does kind of lead me to somewhat of a decision:

Bible says "God sent his son“ (it does use the word ”his") and Jesus was a guy…. and other stuff says that Jesus wasn't so much God's son as he was an actual part of God…

It's all so confusing @_@
99% of people would've finished this sente
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:47PM
PhatScurl at 2:13PM, May 23, 2006
(offline)
God is neither and both, nothing and all.

God can be anything or anyone he chooses to be, the fact that God is addressed as a male in the Bible is only so we don't spend our times arguing over a retarded thing like his gender, and so God didn't have to explain one more thing to Moses.

I mean imagine, God has just explained in quite possibly the most simple way, the creation of existence. If you were God, would seriously sit there and in detail describe what exactly you are? I wouldn't. I'd make it plain and simple so he could understand.

God is neither and both, nothing and all.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
PhatScurl at 6:01PM, May 23, 2006
(offline)
fibonacci
b)If god did have an appearance god would probably resemble a man because in Genesis, it states something about god making man in his image.

I've argued with this several times before. Everybody in the entire world looks different in someway shape or form, so how was it that man looks similar to God if everybody looks different.

I on the other hand believe we were created in God's image by the fact of our minds. We have a free will, similar to that of god. We have the ability to commit evil acts and good acts, that is how we are created in God's image
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
Stain at 9:40PM, June 9, 2006
(offline)
He is a gender-less figure mentally connected to reality.
Dirk Zephyrs
Stain is also pretty hot.
Lawl @ Homosexuality

K.A.L.A.-dan! Trap!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
marine at 12:24PM, June 10, 2006
(offline)
Talk about comedy gold…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
ccs1989 at 10:41AM, June 11, 2006
(online)
The concept of God seems to show that humanity has a mindset that values it's own importance, because we think we have the power to communicate with the supreme being. And therefore if it's a concept it can either have a gender or not have a gender, depending on who you ask.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
ozoneocean at 4:23AM, June 12, 2006
(online)
Kennedy0
Wow. I think this subject has been overthought and beat to the ground.
I agree with the spirit of that, but the details are quite iffy… The books of the Bible for instance… Why does everyone always ignore Orthodox Christianity? The Eastern stream is just as old and just as great as the Western Catholic one. And all the versions of the “rewritten” bible are still able to be viewed.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
Zig at 8:49AM, June 28, 2006
(online)
I am male. End of debate.

1001 ways to start a flamewar, available for sale NOW!
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
T_K at 7:10AM, July 4, 2006
(offline)
well I'm no christian or no anything basically, I'm a I got better things to do than worry about religion, but eitherways I'm all for god being a girl… cuz… I dunno I just happen to like chicks being a guy n all,but if it is a girl… then… would mary and god be lesbians? and also, who was their sperm donor?…. yeeeah.. thats something to think about.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
Zig at 1:50PM, July 4, 2006
(online)
MechaShiva
If God's male, and He's also omnipresent… it means His organs are, by default, in everysingle of our…you know… behinds?

What a wonderful thought. Now I won't be able to enter a church without thinking about that… Dude, you just ruined my spiritual life :-D. Maybe you should start your own Church?
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
Tundra at 6:25PM, July 5, 2006
(offline)
hmn. I think God is actually genderless, and that it's society that says if it's male or female. Christians saw God as being a ‘father figure’, so called God “He”. If it's genderless, it can therefore parent a child.
http://www.notebookinhand.com Forum for artists, writers, and other creative types.
http://www.drunkduck.com/Notebook
http://www.notnegativenews.com Get positive news here! Improve your day. Share your links.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
Liriel at 9:20PM, July 5, 2006
(offline)
The idea of the awesome being that is supposed to be GOD having a gender is … ridiculous.

~Liriel
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:35PM
Mimarin at 3:33PM, July 9, 2006
(offline)
Satanism does not at any point involve worship of any entity, satan included, in fact satanism is more about living based on a certain set of morals and ideology than worshiping anything. You are thinking of Devil worshipers, Devil worship and satanism are not the same thing, and by attributing devil woship to satanism you could easily offend any passing satanists.
Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why.

Also, tell random people they are awsome! it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved