Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

good lines
memo333 at 6:20PM, Feb. 2, 2006
(offline)
I need a good tutorial to make good line art…not blurry like mine lol..do i need a tablet or scaner tips?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
jasonspringer at 8:00AM, Feb. 3, 2006
(offline)
If your inking you work you definitly need a scanner. If you use a pen and tablet intead of a mouse you can do you inking in photoshop like I do sometimes. It's a little harder but you can screw up as much as you want.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
isukun at 8:48AM, Feb. 3, 2006
(online)
Linework can usually be cleaned up pretty easily in Photoshop. Just scan big, adjust your levels to up the contrast and then scale it down to smooth out the edges. If you're going to ink digitally, though, I would have to say that photoshop probably isn't the solution. It doesn't have many of the features which make the vector programs better suited to line work, like the line smoothing and editing tools you find in both Flash and Illustrator. If you screw up in Photoshop, your only option is to undo your line or erase and draw again.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
ShadowsMyst at 9:12AM, Feb. 3, 2006
(online)
That depends on *how* you want to ink digitally. If vector graphics float your boat, photoshop 7 - CS2 does have vector capabilities you can use for digital inking purposes if you want to use vectors, you also have the option of selection based inking. I find however, most vector inking ends up looking very mechanical, thus when I do it, I use a tablet and a brush tool at a high resolution to get a more organic line. Both Painter and Photoshop are viable for this particular technique.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
mykill at 8:56PM, Feb. 3, 2006
(online)
Crisp smooth artwork

Analog:
First, learn to drawing in deliberate full length lines - none of this combination of many short strokes. For large lines, lock your wrist and pull the line with your arm. Use rulers, french curves and flexable curves as well.

Second, if you draw so big, the artwork must be reduced when it is printed, the reduced artwork will magically ‘clean’ most minor irregularities in your linework and make the art seem more delicate, intricate and detailed as well.

Third, practice. In ink, pulling very deliberate lines is a must. CONTROL your inkline.

Standard comic original size is 10“ x 15”, larger than it's printed and sufficient for making linework seem much smoother and perfect upon reduction.

Here's my inking tutorial: http://kitschcore.com/inking.html

Photoshop: Bigger is better. If you work on a page that has greater resolution and dimensions than it will be printed or previewed online - the line quality will seem better upon reduction of dimension or resolution. I work on a 10“ x 15” page, 300 ppi.

Inking should be done in photoshop with a wacom tablet. This is still a skill of dexterity. Deliberate strokes, locking the wrist and moving hand with entire arm for large sweeps are key.

Illustrator/Flash: You have no dexterity? You require Carl Barks quality linework but don't have decades to practice first? These vector art programs will “autosmooth” your brushlines and instantly give you the equivelant of the finest Carl Barks brushlines instantly. The catch? You lose specificity and fine detail in your linework. You'll need to throttle the ‘autosmoothing’ down if you have detailed art in mind.

I ink in Photoshop for my comics, any deviation from my line specificity and detail is too much a sacrifice to justify the smoothing in my estimation.

Illustrator note: The brush may have a minimum of 1 point, so you'll HAVE to work large. 10“x15” works for me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved