Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

good paper for printing digital art?
enkiRoll at 1:56AM, Jan. 12, 2009
(online)
Is there a printer paper that's really good for digital arts in particular? More specifically, what would be a good paper to print lineart on that wouldn't get wrecked by colouring with watercolours? What do you guys use?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
CharleyHorse at 5:51AM, Jan. 12, 2009
(offline)
I'm not quite sure I understand what you are trying to do enkiRoll. Any standard paper would handle a normal inking output of a printer. If on the other hand, you are going to apply water color to a sheet of paper and then scan the results into your computer afterward then you can use any paper product you desire – as it won't be traveling through the rollers of the printer; it will simply be put flat on a scanner bed.

If that's the case then you can use real watercolor paper if you desire.

Nonetheless, if you want a liquid resistant printer paper that is actually going to go through your printer's rollers then the rule of thumb would be, the heavier the paper stock the better the results when wet is applied. Heavier paper resists the tendency to roll or ripple or curl. So, 24lb. inkjet paper would be a good bet to start with.

Now, myself, I use 110lb card stock for direct inking at the art table, and also I have run this very heavy paper through my inkjet printer before. I can't promise that YOUR printer could deal with it, but this heavy stock would probably handle the direct application of wet better than just about anything else that WOULD work with a printer. I hope this helps. You can find card stock in most office supply stores or online.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
lba at 9:50AM, Jan. 12, 2009
(online)
Almost any printer these days will be able to handle 110 lb card stock or cover stock which would be my rcommendation. Another option would be to simply experiment. I've had good results with my printer using mounted papers for various effects just by using spray adhesive to mount the paper on 60 lb card stock and them cutting it to printable size. Any paper that will go through a printer easily will be prone to warping from watercolours though.

As for just printing purely digital art, I prefer to use good quality, aid free, hot-pressed cover stock or a high gloss 30 lb inkjet printer paper. I avoid using laser jet because of how expensive it is and the fact that most laser jet printers don't seem to do very well with colours.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved