Media Megaforum

Green Lantern-First flight
ttyler at 2:04PM, July 26, 2009
(online)
I saw this a few weeks ago. I thought it was one of DC'S best animated direct to dvd's yet. blows anything marvel has done out of the water with its top notch voice acting, direction, score and animation. This is the directors 3rd film for DC I believe, and her strongest yet. If there is anybody who doesn't believe a woman can direct high caliber action, then please check this puppy out on tuesday the 28th.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
lefarce at 2:14PM, July 26, 2009
(online)
Good to hear. I keep seeing commercials for this, and while I'm not a huge Green Latern fan, I kinda want to see it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
DAJB at 6:15AM, July 27, 2009
(online)
ttyler
I saw this a few weeks ago. I thought it was one of DC'S best animated direct to dvd's yet.
Oh, it'll be a long time before that washes up on this side of the Atlantic, I suspect!

I don't think we've had a UK release for New Frontier yet, and Wonder Woman was only released last week. If it's half as good as Wonder Woman, though, I'll be very happy!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
GigaLeo at 4:56PM, Aug. 5, 2009
(online)
I loved the film, it was a nice take on Green Lantern's origin and gives him an entertaining first romp. You can walk in not knowing anything about GL and by the end of it all be caught up enough to pick up the first issue of the Sinestro Corps without being too lost. I only had the most minor of nitpicks, but nothing that detracted from enjoying the movie. So far the only Marvel animated feature I think holds a candle to this was Hulk vs Wolverine, but that's mostly because of how spot-on they were able to get Deadpool.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:35PM
machinehead at 8:11PM, Aug. 5, 2009
(online)
I was wondering if this would be any good, I will definetly be checking this out now.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
DAJB at 3:02AM, Aug. 6, 2009
(online)
Thanks to Tim I've managed to see this now. I don't think it's as good as Wonder Woman or the three-part JL story Starcrossed but, as GigaLeo says, it's an entertaining first romp!

For me it felt a little like a Star Wars episode, with the GLs as Jedi (and the Guardians as multiple Yodas!) From that point of view it probably suffers a little because the Clone Wars 3D animations have been so strong and it's hard to avoid comparisons. I couldn't help thinking that a little more time on Earth with some focus on Hal's relationship with Carol would have given it just that extra little bit of depth.

The biggest plus point, I thought, was the excellent voice acting. In particular, Victor Garber as Sinestro is exactly right. The air of quiet, restrained strength he has to his voice suggests an undercurrent of menace and duplicity, without having to go all Dick Dastardly on us! Great performance!

Definitely a strong addition to the growing list of good animated DVDs from DC.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Product Placement at 5:45AM, Aug. 6, 2009
(online)
I was just about to make a threat about this when I noticed that there was one already. I saw this film yesterday and it blew my mind. It had awesome action scenes and moments I never expected to see in a western animation. Moments like on-screen deaths, blood and gore. This movie has stones.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
ttyler at 9:36AM, Aug. 8, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
I was just about to make a threat about this when I noticed that there was one already. I saw this film yesterday and it blew my mind. It had awesome action scenes and moments I never expected to see in a western animation. Moments like on-screen deaths, blood and gore. This movie has stones.

I agree. I personally liked it a bit more than Wonder Woman, and since it is the same director, I can only assume she is starting to get into a groove. Wonder Woman was major steps in the right direction as a whole, but the alien thing/star wars/space setting of First Flight is more my style.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:34PM
Product Placement at 11:47AM, Aug. 8, 2009
(online)
I haven't seen Wonder Woman or anything else made by that director. I'm definitely gonna do that now though because I was impressed by this work.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved