Media Megaforum

Grindhouse
Generic Human at 4:44PM, April 6, 2007
(online)
I didn't see a topic for this…so…How about it folks, how about it? I went to the midnight viewing last night and holy shit best movies ever. I think the movies were even better because everyone in the theater was so into it. People cheered, people gagged, people clapped constantly. I can't pick favorites between Rodriguez's and Tarantino's, they were both so good! The previews too, Thanksgiving? That's some funny stuff!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
subcultured at 4:51PM, April 6, 2007
(online)
i heard it was good, even ebert(christy) and roeper gave it 2 thumbs up!
http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/buenavista/ebertandroeper/
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
Generic Human at 4:58PM, April 6, 2007
(online)
Sub, man, you have to go see it. The movies had everything. Suspense, intelligence, and well place humour. I felt like I was back watching a midnight movie in the seventies.
Phantom Penguin at 5:11PM, April 6, 2007
(offline)
I've been debating wether to go see it or not. I might now…
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
subcultured at 5:14PM, April 6, 2007
(online)
Someone
I felt like I was back watching a midnight movie in the seventies.
really? back in the 70's :)
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:02PM
Generic Human at 5:21PM, April 6, 2007
(online)
subcultured
Someone
I felt like I was back watching a midnight movie in the seventies.
really? back in the 70's :)

<.< yes…the seventies…you know, the old school stuff where they used to show horror films in the seventies at midnight. Night of the Living Dead, Rocky Horror, Pink Flamingos, that stuff.
ozoneocean at 6:05PM, April 6, 2007
(online)
It looks good. A really high energy pair of comic book style movies :)
I might see them.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
ccs1989 at 7:58PM, April 6, 2007
(online)
A friend of mine wants me to go. I might go see them tomorrow, or never. Never is when I usually end up seeing most movies. But possibly tomorrow.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
mechanical_lullaby at 1:44PM, April 7, 2007
(online)
wait… movies you say? So was it a collaboration type thing or was it the same movie twice or was it like a two-part set?

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
Beaums at 2:09PM, April 7, 2007
(offline)
Grindhouse is, in all reality, two movies shown in one sitting, with faux trailers advertising spoof films preceeding each segment. Quentin Tarantino contributes with his full-length film entitled "Death Proof“, and Robert Rodriguez adds another full-length film called ”Planet Terror". The trailers in between are headed by several different directors. The whole deal is meant to be a tribute to the old grindhouses, in which films domindated by explicit sex, violence, bizarre or perverse plot points, and other taboo content were shown back-to-back. Even the look of the films is meant to take you back to the 70s.

Thanks for the update on this Generic Human, it's good to hear that this movie is a smash hit. It's even getting a really positive feedback from the critics. Rotten Tomatoes gave it an 85%, and that's pretty damn good!

I haven't seen it yet, but I've been straining to ever since it came out. I mean, it's got everything I could ever want! Action, zombies, nudity, gore, a chick with a gun for a leg, sweet cars, and more! I'll probably see it Monday though, as long as I can find an adult to get me in. So on Easter Monday, instead of turning to religious practices, I'll be doing quite the opposite. lol!

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
ccs1989 at 5:58PM, April 7, 2007
(online)
Apparently they spent a lot of money trying to make this movie look like it was actually made in the 70's. They spent a lot of their budget trying to make the movie look like it was made on a low budget. That's pretty ironic.

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
Kristen Gudsnuk at 2:23PM, April 8, 2007
(online)
ccs1989
Apparently they spent a lot of money trying to make this movie look like it was actually made in the 70's. They spent a lot of their budget trying to make the movie look like it was made on a low budget. That's pretty ironic.
it's ironic, but pretty cool imo!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
Inkmonkey at 4:22PM, April 9, 2007
(offline)
Personally, what makes me happiest right now is that the reaction to Machete was so positive that Rodriguez is actually making it into a full length film.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:59PM
Beaums at 11:27PM, April 9, 2007
(offline)
Inkmonkey
Personally, what makes me happiest right now is that the reaction to Machete was so positive that Rodriguez is actually making it into a full length film.

Yeah, it's going to be released straight to DVD along with Grindhouse. It's about damn time the world saw a Mexploitation film! I'm pumped!

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
Crazy Dutchman at 2:31AM, April 10, 2007
(offline)
I want to see this movie!! It's in fact #35 on my ‘yet to see movies’-list :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Generic Human at 7:31PM, April 10, 2007
(online)
Inkmonkey

no kiddin'? That's so great. That preview was funny as hell.
jalford at 2:34AM, April 11, 2007
(online)
The Planet Terror one was great!. The way Resident Evil: Apocalypse should've been. But Death Proof was a bad mixing of Dukes Of Hazard and Thelma & Louise. The first half of that one was just 4 girls sitting around talking. Then Snake Pliskin shows up and kills them off. Then the next half-hour is a completely different set of 4 girls somewhere else who are also just sitting around talking, until Snake shows up again for the big car chase thing at the end. If I wanted to see 4 chicks sitting around doing nothing but talking, I'd watch The View. Aside from the one part where Snake kills off the first batch of chicks(which it looked like it was a completely different way each time they showed that shot), the entire last movie sucked ass!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
ccs1989 at 12:45PM, April 11, 2007
(online)
The trailer for “Thanksgiving” was hilarious!

Priest_Revan at 4:10PM, April 11, 2007
(offline)
Once I heard who made the movie(s) I realised that I have to see it.
Updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday's (depends).

7/0

Offering Project Wonderful Ad space on my website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:48PM
Crazy Dutchman at 11:19AM, April 13, 2007
(offline)
That filthy ‘European movie distributer’-scum has decided, that in Europe this movie will NOT be released like the original Grindhouse-idea, but they will both come out as separated movies!! What kind of bullshit is that?! It doesn't even make sense!! RWAAARWR! (I'm angry :mad: )

I simply refuse to go to the movies twice to see what was meant to be one film. Like many other angry Europeans I'll just have to settle for a nice fresh download in a couple of days…
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Phantom Penguin at 12:08PM, April 14, 2007
(offline)
I just went and saw it last night. I loved them both.

The trailer for Machete was funny as hell
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Generic Human at 3:28PM, April 14, 2007
(online)
did anyone else see the Resident Evil reference in the Thanksgiving preview? :It's blood!" I swear that guy looked like Barry! I dunno if it was on purpose, or if I was just seeing to see it, ya know?
magickmaker at 6:21AM, April 19, 2007
(offline)
I loved this movie. I'll openly admit I liked Planet Teroor better than Deathproof, but Deathproof totally had it's moments. Like the twenty minutes were awesome. In a general poll I gave to my friends afterward, Thanksgiving was considered the best trailer, but Machete was my favorite.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
marine at 4:39PM, April 26, 2007
(offline)
I for one walked away thinking the sum of its parts where better than the whole. Machete's easily one of the greatest things I've ever seen. “They fucked with the wrong mexican!” “you mean the mexican day laborer, IS A GOD DAMN FEDERALLI?” and my favorite “god has the mercy, I don't.” followed by Cheech shooting a guys head off with a shotgun. Cheech from Cheech and Chong.

Planet Terror was pretty good. A nice throwback to a John Carpenter/Romero style horror/action hybrid. The movie really got going towards the end, and even had a great campy death scene. Also Rose Mcgowen's a hotty. The plot was about zombie mutants, and had a bunch of great b-characters (much like my comic penis contains) put into a situation and dealing with it as only crazies would.

Werewolf Women of the S.S. is a tribute to the old Isla of the S.S movies, and the “werewolves blank” series of movies. Rob Zombie did a pretty great job of making it work as a trailer, and the best scene was the most bizzare cameo ever, “Nicholas Cage as FU MAN CHU” I laughed so hard I cried.

Then came a trailer for a movie called “Don't” directed by Edger Wright (shaun of the dead, spaced) and featuring the usual suspects from his movies/tvshow. Great stuff. Its just like old horror trailers from the 40s and 50s that are so gimmickey and crazy, you have no idea what the fuck is going on.

Thanksgiving was the classic slasher trailer, done by Eli Roth (hostel, cabin fever) It was a lot like old slasher trailers, showing the cooler death scenes from a movie, featuring narration from a creepy guy. It was great watching it with a friend of mine, because the scene where the chick gets a knife up the cunt made her freak out.

After that came Death Proof. Which should be subtitled “women talking”. I thought the movie would never go anywhere, and then Kurt Russel showed up and did some really cool stuff. I thought the movie was going to be classic as soon as he gave the lines from the trailer. “this cars a 100% death proof” I was giddy when I saw that. But then, women started talking. And they continued to talk about nothing. Absolutely fucking nothing. It wasn't the kind of talk Tarintino does, where they say nothing but the characters are developed because of it, these bitches just yapped on and on. Then Kurt Russel showed up. “fucking kill those fucking women, right now.” I thought that was the way it would go. Wrong. It goes the way of “I spit on your grave” and makes the women heroes who kill Kurt Russel in what has to be the most emasculating death ever presented on film for Kurt Russel. Kurt Russel's one of the better action stars ever. Anyone who denies that, can go fuck themselves right now. To see him beaten by three women in a movie. I bet John Carpenter is spinning in his grave. Even though he's not dead, he's still spinning in it. Death proof was a 100% failure.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
GinckPress at 3:29PM, April 27, 2007
(online)
I found it to be one of the most fun, and most comic creation-inspiring movies I've seen in a looong time.

While I understand Marine's complaints about “Death Proof”, as I did feel the same way when it came to the “women talking” and the emasculating death of Kurt Russel, but I none-the-less still enjoyed it.

J.
www.planetaeruen.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
marine at 4:30PM, April 27, 2007
(offline)
GinckPress
I found it to be one of the most fun, and most comic creation-inspiring movies I've seen in a looong time.

While I understand Marine's complaints about “Death Proof”, as I did feel the same way when it came to the “women talking” and the emasculating death of Kurt Russel, but I none-the-less still enjoyed it.

J.

I kind of have to step outside myself and look at it as “ok, I see what they're doing here, and its a very good joke” but at the same time, I wanted Kurt Russel to win. Not three women who never shut up.

Also the redneck guy from the adam sandler movies had a grand cameo, did he not?
GinckPress at 8:41PM, April 27, 2007
(online)
That guy was also the Trucker/rapist from Kill Bill Vol. 1. That's the other thing I loved about Grindhouse, all the crossover characters like the Sheriff and Son No. 1.

J.
www.planetaeruen.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
marine at 10:19PM, April 27, 2007
(offline)
GinckPress
That guy was also the Trucker/rapist from Kill Bill Vol. 1. That's the other thing I loved about Grindhouse, all the crossover characters like the Sheriff and Son No. 1.

J.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0521781/

Sure enough. I didn't recognize him in kill bill. Madness. Lot of great cameos, but by far the GREATEST was definitely Nicholas Cage.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved