Media Megaforum

Guilty music secrets?
ozoneocean at 11:00PM, Dec. 7, 2008
(online)
Sometimes people like to list that they listen to certain bands and types of music to show how cool they are… Never putting on certain others they like in case it makes them look like a dork.

I like a lot of music on the dork list, but I'm not embarrassed about it.

- I love accordion music.
- Bagpipe music is marvellous.
- traditional English country folk music.
- I think Phill Collins is ok.
- Paul McCartney made some fine tunes, including Mull of Kin tire AND the Frog Chorus.
- I like Ringo Starr's singing.
- Enya is playing on my computer right now, and I love it. :)
- The Prog-rock movement produced some great music.
- The Monkey's have at least two songs that I like.
- I like the Spice girls and even enjoyed the movie
- I still like The right Stuff by New Kids on the block.

That's all I can confess… I can't say I ever really liked Mariah Kerry, Seline Dion, James Blunt, Michael Bolton, Billy Ray Cyruss, Emo music, Cold play, nu-metal, or any of the multitude of crappy 90's boy-bands (apart from that one song by New Kids)… But I'm sure some of you can. :P

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
DAJB at 12:15AM, Dec. 8, 2008
(online)
I don't think I listen to anything I should really be ashamed of right now.

In my mis-spent youth, however, I did buy the first three Suzi Quatro albums. Three! And not singles, but albums!

Oh … I'm currently enjoying the Ting Tings which a newspaper review recently described as an album we'll all be embarrassed about having in our collections in years to come.

Other than that … nah - my musical tastes are pretty solid!
;-)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Hawk at 12:33AM, Dec. 8, 2008
(online)
I listen to J-pop sometimes (Japanese pop music). Yes, even the sugary bouncy stuff. It brings back memories of when I lived in Japan, and it has been helping me through this blasted rap/hip-hop era that America has been going through.

I never allow other people to hear it, though… just in my headphones or when driving alone. I don't think anyone else would tolerate it.

:( All my favorite American/European bands are quitting.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Ironscarfs Ghost at 2:26AM, Dec. 8, 2008
(offline)
Don't worry Hawk, that “blasted rap/hip-hop era” will be over soon - at least, that's what they told me when I were a lad.

Anyway, I should probably feel shame for loving this, but I'm too old to care:
Er……..boo!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
ozoneocean at 3:15AM, Dec. 8, 2008
(online)
Ironscarfs Ghost
shame
Shame? Shame! Fwah!

There is no shame… Just "sympathy and understanding" :)

—————–
And I happen to think Chocolate Rain is a fantastic sounding and intelligent song.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
Mushroomcomix at 1:10PM, Dec. 8, 2008
(offline)
My guiltiest pleasure in music is probably old school hiphop like RUN DMC and NWA, some of my wifes music like Shakira, Enya, Mirah, Green Day's new stuff, my collection or rap from foreign countries, Alanis Morissette, I own the Harry Potter soundtracks, and i listen to Jack Johnson
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
lba at 1:13PM, Dec. 8, 2008
(online)
The closest thing I have to a guilty pleasure in music would probably be the Fuel CD I possess. I normally will listen to any form of music that has a certain level of quality to it, but I'm adamant about my refusal to listen to Hard Rock. I just can't stand bands like Seether, Breaking Benjamin, etc. They don't do the screaming as well as the hardcore and post-hardcore scenes do and their instrumentals are always just ripped off, watered down copies of old metal riffs. Fuel seems to be the one exception to the rule of poor musicianship.

The other one would probably be that I have one of No Doubts earlier CD's. It's the pop-punky ska influenced stuff that gets me every time. :/
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
machinehead at 3:13PM, Dec. 8, 2008
(online)
I'm a metal head but lately i've been listening to mellow shit. I've been listening to the Beetles and Aerosmith, mostly older music i've never really liked before.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
BlkKnight at 4:14PM, Dec. 8, 2008
(online)
Hawk
I listen to J-pop sometimes (Japanese pop music). Yes, even the sugary bouncy stuff. It brings back memories of when I lived in Japan, and it has been helping me through this blasted rap/hip-hop era that America has been going through.

I never allow other people to hear it, though… just in my headphones or when driving alone. I don't think anyone else would tolerate it.

I'm pretty much the same way with J-Pop/Rock/Trance/Techno/Core/Whatever. I'd rather listen to something I can't understand rather than something that's nothing but swearing (though I do have some J-Core that does nothing but say the F-word over and over, so it does exist).
That's “Dr. BlkKnight” to all of you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
Aurora Borealis at 10:43AM, Dec. 9, 2008
(online)
Hmm, to be honest I don't think I have any REALLY guilty music. I do listen to some bands that others seem to attack constantly and some genres that make people rise eyebrows and go “you listen to THIS?” but no guilt involved. Other than perhaps the fact that I listed to michael jackson as a kid :D

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Wills42 at 11:58AM, Dec. 9, 2008
(online)
I think theremin's are the sexiest instruments in the world.
I like Soulja Boy…. HAHAHAHA! NOT!
'Weird Al' is my hero.
I enjoyed William Hungs rendition of ‘She Bang’. It made me laugh.
I listen to Gogol Bordello.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
kingofsnake at 12:17PM, Dec. 9, 2008
(online)
I'd say my biggest guilty pleasure is mash-ups and remixes of songs that generally should not be mashed up and remixed. I have 10 annie mac mini mixes on my ipod, a mash up of marvin gaye's sexual healing with radiohead's high and dry. remixes of songs like great balls of fire and singing in the rain. Also I love the muppets far too much. I have a remix of the count's “counting song”, a video of telephone rock, the sweedish chef, and that one pigs in space with john cleese. I also have like four different verisons of “Don't look back in anger” by Oasis, and really one is plenty.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Hawk at 12:23PM, Dec. 9, 2008
(online)
Wills42
I enjoyed William Hungs rendition of ‘She Bang’. It made me laugh.

One of my roommates pirated William Hung's CD (or maybe bought it and lied to me!). We listened to it and got quite a few laughs. The fun part was trying to figure out if he really thought he was some kind of music hero, or if he was in on the little joke. I got the impression that he didn't know the world was laughing at him.
Bittenbymonk at 2:05PM, Dec. 9, 2008
(offline)
Aerosmith are my favourite band. there, I admitted it.
also, this is a great song.
also, I love classical music.
also, 80's power ballads are amongst my favourite kind of music.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:22AM
Bocaj at 2:35PM, Dec. 9, 2008
(online)
Bittenbymonk
Aerosmith are my favourite band. there, I admitted it.
also, this is a great song.
also, I love classical music.
also, 80's power ballads are amongst my favourite kind of music.
I've never seen the video for that before.
It rocked my socks.

I'm not ashamed of any music I can think of…
I've been getting into The Cat Empire a lot lately and some of my friends hate it though. Whenever it comes up I just talk about how much I love them. I feel no shame for it!

Don't read Rape.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
PIT_FACE at 7:50PM, Dec. 9, 2008
(online)
i like Styx.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
Bittenbymonk at 10:17AM, Dec. 10, 2008
(offline)
PIT_FACE
i like Styx.
that is AWESOME.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:22AM
Sea_Cow at 10:32AM, Dec. 10, 2008
(offline)
Ice, ice, baby…
Bum Bum-bum-bum bumbum bum-bum
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM
Hawk at 10:46AM, Dec. 10, 2008
(online)
Wow, I had never seen the video to Safety Dance either. It's not at all what I imagined it would be. For some reason I pictured constructions workers wearing hardhats and dancing on a construction site.
Biz3 at 2:56PM, Dec. 10, 2008
(offline)
I'm a sucker for old-school music. I got David Bowie, Queen and AC/DC on the list of songs I listen to just about every day.
I also got a tendency to listen to nerd rock and nerdcore groups/artists like “Weird Al” Yankovic, Jonathan Coulton and Lemon Demon.
I've also bumped by music from artists/groups like Elton John, Johnny Cash and The Who, and listened to their music for hours.

And to top it all; I once listened to the theme song from Happy Days, over and over again, and liked it. lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
PIT_FACE at 4:16PM, Dec. 10, 2008
(online)
Someone
And to top it all; I once listened to the theme song from Happy Days, over and over again, and liked it.

haha! for some reason when i read that i imagined some version of you standing in a courtroom confessing it in a verry dramatic fashion like it was murder.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 5:34PM, Dec. 10, 2008
(online)
I listen to video game music, a lot. This has gotten me quite a few funny looks, and has caused people to assume that I only listen to “weird” music. Even when I'm very obviously listening to a well known song, they assume it's some kind of weird thing.

Of course, the people around me dislike They Might Be Giants, so…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
Sea_Cow at 8:30PM, Dec. 10, 2008
(offline)
Biz3
I'm a sucker for old-school music. I got David Bowie, Queen and AC/DC on the list of songs I listen to just about every day.
I also got a tendency to listen to nerd rock and nerdcore groups/artists like “Weird Al” Yankovic, Jonathan Coulton and Lemon Demon.
I've also bumped by music from artists/groups like Elton John, Johnny Cash and The Who, and listened to their music for hours.

And to top it all; I once listened to the theme song from Happy Days, over and over again, and liked it. lol!

But Jonathan Coulton is amazing!
Custard Trout at 1:11AM, Dec. 11, 2008
(offline)
I like country music. Now that I've admitted this, I'm going to go kill myself.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:01PM
Biz3 at 3:27AM, Dec. 11, 2008
(offline)
Sea_Cow
Biz3

But Jonathan Coulton is amazing!

Never said he wasn't! :)

PIT_FACE
Someone
And to top it all; I once listened to the theme song from Happy Days, over and over again, and liked it.

haha! for some reason when i read that i imagined some version of you standing in a courtroom confessing it in a verry dramatic fashion like it was murder.

Judge: You're charged with listening to the theme song from Happy Days, over and over again. How do you plead?

Guilty. I did listen to the theme song from Happy Days, over and over.. and over again, and.. *dramatic close-up with fitting background music* I liked it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
Senshuu at 4:43AM, Dec. 11, 2008
(offline)
I have no guilt. :D I openly love all of my music… especially my weird-ass j-rock and Icelandic post-rock.

LIZARD_B1TE
I listen to video game music, a lot. This has gotten me quite a few funny looks, and has caused people to assume that I only listen to “weird” music. Even when I'm very obviously listening to a well known song, they assume it's some kind of weird thing.

Of course, the people around me dislike They Might Be Giants, so…

What your friends don't realize is that video game music is good stuff. *thumbs up*
There are some seriously moving game soundtracks - not just recently, either. Chrono Trigger, man.

Even the VG arrangements that aren't so moving or legendary are still incredible and stick to you in a way more endearing than popular music. (Imagine every time an advertisement used “Milkshake” in the past year or so, replace it with the Bubble Bobble theme in your head… 10x better.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
Wills42 at 2:40PM, Dec. 11, 2008
(online)
Biz3

We have the EXACT same taste in music. Like, exactly.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
Sea_Cow at 1:01AM, Dec. 13, 2008
(offline)
Custard Trout
I like country music. Now that I've admitted this, I'm going to go kill myself.

Custard, don't die! I don't think I can hold up the dark side of the duck on my own.

Wait. What was that about country music? Yeah. Become an hero. Now.
Cthulhu at 6:05AM, Dec. 13, 2008
(online)
I hate myself for liking Flyleaf.

I also love Taco's “Puttin' On The Ritz”

EDIT: As a warning, the video is slightly racist, and just plain disturbing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
Swaygazer at 7:26AM, Dec. 13, 2008
(offline)
Every now and then I get a craving for Japanese picopop by Capsule, Copter4016882, and Perfume…music that would probably be poorly tolerated by most people. The fast pace makes it good music for working out at the gym, though. ^^

I'm a big “Weird Al” fan and like other nerdy/fun music by the likes of mc chris, Futuristic Sex Robotz, Tenacious D and Lemon Demon.

My fiance and I also have this song by Lene (singer from the band “Aqua” ) in our iPod rotation that we crank up and dance around to when it comes on in the car… (possibly NSFW)

Aqua is still one of my guilty pleasures, although I'm not a big fan of “Barbie Girl”.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved