Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Hair Shading Tricks?
SarahN at 5:00PM, Nov. 9, 2006
(online)
Okay, I'm having hair shading troubles. Especially with dark hair. Does anyone know any good hair shading tricks that doesn't involve the use of a tablet or smudge?

I've tried several new things. Like say, standard zig-zag anime hair…but not only am I not used to doing this, but I really don't like it for VP anyway. So I basically scrapped that idea. (I may try it in different ways on paper yet.)

I've tried smudging my shading…but my pages start out very large in Paint Shop Pro, and when I try to smudge, it lags and doesn't work right. (Perhaps Photoshop would be a better alternative when it comes to this…?)

Everything else I've tried usually doesn't work right without a tablet. I use a mouse for everything….which I guess is starting to be a bad thing. -_- I can't find any good shading tutorials, especially hair tutorials, that doesn't involve a tablet.

I might just have to improve my current method…
ANY TIPS….OR TRICKS?

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
suzi at 5:27PM, Nov. 9, 2006
(online)
This is how I do hair shading in pencil. I think it could probably be applied pretty easily with any medium. The trick is to imagine a thin line right across where the light hits, and then stroke up towards the line kind of jabbing, like you're afraid to get too close. Always in the direction of the hair. Then it's gradual, but still has the look of individual strands. I have a lot of figure work from my art class where I do it more seriously, but it's at school and I can't scan it. So here's this thing:

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
WingNut at 12:17AM, Nov. 10, 2006
(offline)
Another good hair shading technique if you do not have a tablet is to use this brush..

Set it to a good small size, and use both the multiply (to darken) and screen (to lighten) coloring modes, at an opacity at around 50%, using the base color for your hair.

Overlap both colors, mimicing the placement of real hair. Then, using screen, create the highlights of where the light is directly hitting the hair.

Sounds complex, actually is fairly easy, and it looks really nice.

Hope this helps!

-Wingnut
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
Mark at 9:43AM, Nov. 10, 2006
(offline)
What I usually do is I determine a light source and shade in the dark area of the hair black. I then draw lots of lines coming from the dark area “jabbing at the light” source, a bit like how Suzi does it. The lines determine the texture and direction of the hair. Eg lots of curly lines mean curly hair while straight mean straight.

Heres an example so you get what I mean. http://www.drunkduck.com/Random_Idiocity/index.php?p=97217
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:54PM
ShadowsMyst at 12:44PM, Nov. 10, 2006
(online)
Hm. Without a tablet its hard to get the nice precice strokes nessisary to actually paint hair per se. The smudge trick generally works the best with the mouse, but it sounds like you are having some trouble with memory/system resources. What you might want to do is wait until after you've shrunk your image down before adding the hair highlights and do the highlight on another layer. Otherwise I can only really think of getting very friendly with the vector tools (time consuming!), using a dark grey instead of black and dodging the highlights or using a painbrush and blur filter. I can forward you some samples if you want them.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
SarahN at 3:46PM, Nov. 10, 2006
(online)
shadowmyst: Well, yes, I can shrink the picture and put the highlights on afterwards so I can smudge…but say a time comes where I want to publish the pages, I still won't have it on the high res files, that's the only problem. Otherwise I may try doing it for the final web versions. (I tend to sometimes use it for random pics.)

Thanks for the ideas and advice everyone. I'll try a lot of experimenting!
I think all and all…I need a tablet….and Photoshop. X_x
Mark at 8:24AM, Nov. 12, 2006
(offline)
or you could just “Paint It Black” (cool Rolling Stone reference)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:54PM
deletedbyrequest03 at 4:00PM, Nov. 12, 2006
(offline)
Mark

Haha, awesome reference. And yes, you can just put black strokes in the hair, making the top and bottom darker to make it look like a giant highlight is in the middle :D

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
SarahN at 4:39PM, Nov. 12, 2006
(online)
Mark
I see a red door I want to paint black first. =3
kaminari at 1:46PM, Nov. 13, 2006
(online)
I use PSP and it works fine..
Of course, I use a tablet and the smudge tool.

But its weird that yours lags when you do that. I use mine on a 7 year old laptop that barely has enough memory to run the program (PSP10 with PSP Xtras 1 and 2 loaded and about 150 fonts) and I seldom have problems with the smudge tool.
I dont think Photoshop would be the answer to this problem either.

I am FS2 champion! w00t!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved