Media Megaforum

Halo The Movie?
CORY at 9:19AM, Jan. 10, 2006
(offline)
Just a Word-of-ear topic…and I'm not a die-hard Halo fan or anything…but Peter Jackson said his next movie is going to be a Halo one.

Does anyone find that really disappointing?

I can't even bring myself to see these poorly-made Pop-culture movies nowadays. Before I knew what Aeon Flux was, it looked kinda cool (Razor Grass), but now…now I get a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach just thinking about it.

I don't know what happens when you mix as good of a director with as poor of an idea as a Halo film, but I pray to god it'll be good. I can' see Peter Jackson directing something awful.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
Hawk at 10:00AM, Jan. 10, 2006
(online)
Well, Peter Jackson's merely producing it. Last I heard they didn't have a director yet. They were trying to get the guy who directed Hellboy, but he was holding out because there was a chance of him doing the Hellboy sequel.

If you ask me, embarking on a videogame movie is almost a guaranteed stain on your record. Videogame movies range from almost withstandable to absolutely awful. They will almost certainly be liked by somebody, but in general critics and standard movie-goers don't like them.

Microsoft and Bungee hold a tight death-grip on their property Halo, and they've been VERY careful about this movie deal. They had the script written through their approval and they swear that this movie will be different. We'll have to see how that turns out.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
isukun at 3:38PM, Jan. 10, 2006
(online)
Well, to be fair, there hasn't yet been a videogame movie adaptation that got the care and attention of other franchise-based movies. Most are treated as cash cows hoping to profit off of name recognition, meaning high special effects budgets, but no real desire to hire competent (i.e. expensive) writers or directors.

I haven't heard any official news on the subject, but imdb does list a director (Guillermo del Toro) and screenplay writer (Alex Garland) for the film and from what I've seen in the past, they generally don't post names based on rumors or plans.

I haven't heard of too many people losing face for funding or producing a film, so i wouldn't expect Peter Jackson's image to be tarnished. I doubt one bad movie would really hurt his reputation that much anyway. His earlier movies didn't stop him from getting the budget to make Lord of the Rings.

I would hesitate to say this is his next movie since he really has no creative control over it. It may be more approprite to say that The Lovely Bones is his next movie since he is both writing and directing it.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
spambot at 3:56PM, Jan. 10, 2006
(offline)
I have a bad feeling about this…

I'm also doing that other comic "Space Waffles".
We now have a podcast called The Random Pirate Comics Show!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
ccs1989 at 6:29PM, Jan. 10, 2006
(online)
…Halo? Movie?

Oh god what will they think of next? Movies based on comics books perhaps?
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
Ronin at 9:51PM, Jan. 10, 2006
(offline)
Wait wait wait waaaaaiiiit!

Hold the phone here…..Halo had a plot?!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
Hawk at 11:06PM, Jan. 10, 2006
(online)
isukun
Well, to be fair, there hasn't yet been a videogame movie adaptation that got the care and attention of other franchise-based movies. Most are treated as cash cows hoping to profit off of name recognition, meaning high special effects budgets, but no real desire to hire competent (i.e. expensive) writers or directors.

THAT'S certainly true. Why do fans of the game keep gratifying this practice by running to the theater with their cash in hand?

isukun
I haven't heard any official news on the subject, but imdb does list a director (Guillermo del Toro) and screenplay writer (Alex Garland) for the film and from what I've seen in the past, they generally don't post names based on rumors or plans.

One thing of interest is that IMDB at one point had Uwe Boll listed as the director of Halo. This was purely a mistake and it apparently sent fans of Halo into fits of rage and rabid foaming l337-speak. IMDB changed it soonafter. It makes we wonder what IMDB's process is for listing these things, because typically they do only have confirmed stuff listed. Some joker must have really done something to fool them.

I was actually surprised to see del Toro listed, because I hadn't heard that he was chosen yet. I had heard that it was offered to him. He must have taken it. But strangely enough he's also listed for Hellboy 2, so maybe he chose to do both.
CORY at 11:06PM, Jan. 10, 2006
(offline)
Ronin

No! That's the point!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
Ronin at 1:28AM, Jan. 11, 2006
(offline)
CORY
Ronin

No! That's the point!

What are they basing the movie off of then? O.O
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM
isukun at 6:41AM, Jan. 11, 2006
(online)
Joseph Staten is credited as the story writer, although that role seems to be a bit ambiguous on imdb. That could mean anything from Joseph Staten coming up with the entire story for the movie and having Alex Garland simply write dialog and put it in script format to Joseph Staten just being credited because he wrote the stories for the first two games and Alex Garland is writing the story for the movie entirely on his own. The games did have a plot, but I never really thought that was their strongest asset. I would much rather they didn't base the story off of any pre-existing material. It would make for a much better film if they came up with an original story made for the cinema rather than try to adapt a book or game.

although kong was kinda lame I think his style of directing would fit better in a halo universe. Plus I really don't think Halo fans would mind if he made actions scenes for over 3 hours >_>

PETER JACKSON IS NOT DIRECTING THIS FILM

THAT'S certainly true. Why do fans of the game keep gratifying this practice by running to the theater with their cash in hand?

I think they still have hope that someday, through some cosmic mistake, a videogame movie will be done right.

ccs1989 at 11:25AM, Jan. 11, 2006
(online)
I really don't think Video Games make good movies, or that movies make good games. Any Mario game would be (wait…change that to was) horrible as a movie, but they're some of the funnest games I've ever played.

As for Halo? Played it once, but I didn't think it had much of a plot. It would suck as a movie.

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
Hawk at 5:49PM, Jan. 11, 2006
(online)
ccs1989
I really don't think Video Games make good movies, or that movies make good games. Any Mario game would be (wait…change that to was) horrible as a movie, but they're some of the funnest games I've ever played.

As for Halo? Played it once, but I didn't think it had much of a plot. It would suck as a movie.

I've thought about that same exact thing once before, and I realized that videogames in general have weaker plots and than many books and movies… it's just that the gameplay makes up for deficiencies. I really enjoyed House of the Dead 2, but in reality it's a cheap B movie that you can play. When we put these games on the screen as movies, we take away their gameplay, which just might have been their best feature.

Add that to Isukun's comment that they aren't even giving that much of an effort as they make the movies anyway. So even if a game DID have a more decent plot, movie makers think they must change it to appeal to the more general movie-going audience. I liked Max Payne's plot and I think it could almost hold up in a movie. But we'll see how much the plot stays intact as they make the movie. (I still think I'd much rather play Max Payne.)
Thevampire_kain01 at 8:39AM, Jan. 12, 2006
(offline)
~takes a deep breath~ i knew that Halo was a game but why would they make a movie? there would be like a war movie and that is going to be hard to do. it would be like trying to make “The Legacy of Kain” (ALL OF THEM) into a movie, it would be a mess, and if it is like some games were the bodies just dissappers into thin air i think that is gonna be a little tooo fake. that is why they shouldnt make this movie. ~gasps for air~
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:28PM
Thevampire_kain01 at 7:35AM, Jan. 13, 2006
(offline)
now if mortal combat was a mo……oh i forgot it is, ahem but as i was saying, i think that the game “Primal” should be a movie. why not? give me a reason not…..
Thevampire_kain01 at 4:21AM, Jan. 17, 2006
(offline)
another game that should be a movie is “GTA”
isukun at 8:42AM, Jan. 17, 2006
(online)
GTA is already a parody of existing movies. Making it into a movie would be kind of pointless.

Thevampire_kain01 at 10:41AM, Jan. 17, 2006
(offline)
still……..but i wonder what “Diablo” or other blizzard games would be like as movies?
ccs1989 at 12:34PM, Jan. 17, 2006
(online)
Thevampire_kain01
another game that should be a movie is “GTA”

Careful. We don't want to get anyone in Congress mad.

Thevampire_kain01 at 4:29AM, Jan. 18, 2006
(offline)
lol :D

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved