Media Megaforum

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Walrus at 3:22PM, Aug. 2, 2008
(online)
The last five Harry Potter movies were great. I'm sure they'll have no problems with this one.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
Cthulhu at 7:01PM, Aug. 2, 2008
(online)
Geez, November seems like a long wait, seeing as it feels like ages since the last one came out.

I actually like these movies, so I'll be seeing it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM
lastcall at 7:47PM, Aug. 2, 2008
(offline)
Cthulhu
I actually like these movies, so I'll be seeing it.

The books are SO much better, I could read them over and over….the movies leave so much out, it's embarassing. I recommend them highly. And no offense against Michael Gambon, but Richard Harris will always be a better Dumbledore. Harris hit him spot-on…Gambon gives him too much “oomph,” if that makes any sense. Dumbledore is supposed to have a gentle wisdom about him, which Harris portrayed perfectly.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
bobhhh at 8:37AM, Aug. 3, 2008
(offline)
lastcall
The books are SO much better, I could read them over and over….the movies leave so much out, it's embarassing.

Books are books and movies are movies, you can't really compare the two. A film is more like a short story in that it deals best with a single narrative line, where a book can sustain, and indeed is best when it contains many concurrent threads.

When a book is adapted, very often material must be droppped or truncated to keep it from getting too unwieldy. Basically the Harry Potter films do a great job of creating a magical universe with its own physics that at once feel exotic and organic. That kind of cinematic experience is rare and a wondeful diversion.
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:30AM
korosu at 9:47AM, Aug. 3, 2008
(online)
Cthulhu
Geez, November seems like a long wait, seeing as it feels like ages since the last one came out.
Nevermind HBP, but seeing as the Deathly Hallows movie will be split up in two movies, the first part which isn't even coming out until 2010, well… The wait will be excruciating!

lastcall
And no offense against Michael Gambon, but Richard Harris will always be a better Dumbledore.
I agree, to some extent. Richard Harris played Dumbledore's kind, grandfatherly side brilliantly, and Gambon makes him seem too gruff. But at the same time, the character's supposed to have a kind of tough side to him… After all, he is the most powerful wizard. I don't think Harris would've played that side of Dumbledore myself, so if there were some way to combine the two actors' portrayals of him, it would be perfect.

I'm totally psyched about the HBP movie! And I was so glad I found the teaser a few days ago… I was starting to wonder when they would release it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
Cthulhu at 9:48AM, Aug. 3, 2008
(online)
lastcall
The books are SO much better
That can be debated.

Some people like movies more, some people like books more. Personally, I like movies better because of the whole “you don't have to read” and “only takes about two hours” thing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:59AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved