Media Megaforum

Harry Potter Book 7: Dumbledore kills Snape
skoolmunkee at 6:17PM, July 20, 2007
(online)
Why aren't I at Asda buying it RIGHT NOW?

Actually Amazon will be delivering it to my door in the morning… I should probably go to bed soon. I plan to spend the entire weekend reading it, stopping only long enough to prepare the occasional cup o soup, and maybe mow the lawn if the rain stops long enough. And I should probably walk the dog. But that's it!

FAIR WARNING there will probably be SPOILERS in this thread. There's a SPOILER tag, so if you're going to say something that even remotely would spoil something for someone who hasn't read the book (the other 6 books are fair game as far as I'm concerned), please use them! The spoiler tags are {spoiler} and {/spoiler} but replace curly brackets with square ones, like all bb code.

Here's some spoilered text!
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
lefarce at 9:52PM, July 20, 2007
(online)
Snape date rapes Dumbledore.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
Hyptosis at 10:59PM, July 20, 2007
(offline)
My god, I went to the store to get some cooking supplies, I was in line for over an hour because of this freaking book. People were going ape shit over it. I was so mad, but HAD to have my supplies or I just would have ran my cart into a candy rack and left. They should have just had a special line for the crazies, and a line for the normal people who wanted food. =P No insulting intended to the fans. But these people were crazy. Trust me. ^_^
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:53PM
marine at 12:18AM, July 21, 2007
(offline)
Harry Potter dies of wizard aids, and nothing of value was lost.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
Hawk at 12:32AM, July 21, 2007
(online)
My friend works for the UPS and he says that they have special procedures in place for a Harry Potter launch day. I think he had received special training for the day and had to go into work early for the deliveries. Supposedly the delivery volume goes WAY up the day an HP book is released. Their main goal was to deliver the books to peoples' homes as soon as possible to prevent the book from being spoiled.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Phantom Penguin at 7:11AM, July 21, 2007
(offline)
..I just ordered it from Amazon. Should be coming Monday.
But I know like Half-Blood Prince, its going to be ruined for me before I even get a chance to read it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
skoolmunkee at 8:24AM, July 21, 2007
(online)
Phantom Penguin
..I just ordered it from Amazon. Should be coming Monday.
But I know like Half-Blood Prince, its going to be ruined for me before I even get a chance to read it.

Stay off the internet, that is the solution. Worked for me!

In other news I just finished the book (the mailman came at freakin' 7:30 am, I love the extra effort) and I am quite happy with it! :) I am still pondering about some things but it was quite satisfying. :) Also it was only about 600 pages, I expected it to be longer…

That is kinda awesome they have special training for Harry Potter release days, haha.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
danthemancartoons at 9:41AM, July 21, 2007
(offline)
I'm not going to be reading it but I wrote my own ending instead…

I feel it is far superior in a literary sense…

You can read the rest here;
http://transplantcomics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3736
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
lefarce at 10:03AM, July 21, 2007
(online)
danthemancartoons
I'm not going to be reading it but I wrote my own ending instead…

(image)

I feel it is far superior in a literary sense…

You can read the rest here;
http://transplantcomics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3736

This sir is made of pure win.

danthemancartoons at 10:15AM, July 21, 2007
(offline)
I've spent the entire day drawing and inking them all. Its been pretty epic and intense, but its been good to get all the hysteria that seems to have engulfed the media over an over hyped children's book. People have gone pretty mental over it.

But hey, if its your thing, ENJOY IT…it just bothers me that there are much superior books and media out there…oh well..its whatever catches on and if the lady has created an absorbing read good for her…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
Terminal at 11:17AM, July 21, 2007
(online)
Agent Smith dies.

Shame.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:11PM
ZeroVX at 2:06PM, July 21, 2007
(online)
I just finished reading the book in one sitting(I know, I have no life). I won't say much, just the biggest spoiler in the whole f***ing story!

Remember, this is HUGE. Don't read if you don't want to know!

Norbert's a girl dragon.
“If our own government was responsible for the deaths of almost 100,000 people…..would you really wanna know?”

V for Vendetta, V.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:58PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 3:08PM, July 21, 2007
(online)
I'm about halfway through the book. Here are the spoilers, I've found…

Hedwig and Moody die, Tonks is pregnant, the Death Eaters take over the ministry, Kreacher becomes friends with Ron, Harry, and Hermoine, and Umbridge has one of the Horcruxes
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
jalford at 7:19PM, July 21, 2007
(online)
(BIG SPOILER: It's his sled. “Rosebud” was his sled that he had as a child.) There! I just saved you 784 boobless pages!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Ocka at 1:52AM, July 22, 2007
(offline)
I've been sending this link to a lot of people >.> Huge spoilers…… Sorry it's a bad habit I must post this!

SO yeah…don't read till after you finish… :kitty:

and it has some images that are nsfw too, so a heads up..

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Harry_Potter

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 6:18AM, July 22, 2007
(online)
People who die: Hedwig, Mad Eye Moody, Wormtail, Dobby, Fred, Lupin, Tonks, and Voldemort
lefarce at 4:15PM, July 22, 2007
(online)
LIZARD_B1TE
People who die: Hedwig, Mad Eye Moody, Wormtail, Dobby, Fred, Lupin, Tonks, and Voldemort

Forgot Snape.

LIZARD_B1TE at 4:21PM, July 22, 2007
(online)
Oh who cares about Snape, anyway?
lefarce at 6:28PM, July 22, 2007
(online)
Me because I'm gay.

Kristen Gudsnuk at 8:32PM, July 22, 2007
(online)
wait, can we REALLY discuss the seventh book? I finished it this morning and for the past twelve hours have been bubbling with things I want to talk about with fellow potter-readers, but my sister still isn't done with it (we bought two copies… we're argumentative.)
so anyway, how do you feel about the whole thing?
here's my two cents…

when I found out about snape's past… well, I already knew that he was desperately in love with Lily, but I didn't realize how far-reaching their relationship had been. and basically his entire flashback (I'm a sucker for flashbacks, which you'll know if you read my comic, XD!) was just fantastically wrought and soul-crushingly depressing. poor snape, was all I could think! and how he really didn't hate Harry after all!!! that was probably my favorite part of the whole book– when he gets mad at dumbledore for planning harry's death all along. it's just so sad, everyone else got all the glory, and what did snape get? a miserable end to a miserable life. of all the underappreciated martyrs, I think he's gotta be my favorite.
I was surprised when harry showed no emotion really at hedwig being killed… I mean, sure, it's an owl, but pets (especially old ones) are just as dear as people!! hedwig died, harry was kind of unhappy, and then the plot kept going forward.
and what about Fred?? he dies, but no word of how george feels. The idea of one twin dying is a lot more traumatizing than actually reading the part where he dies… I was kind of disappointed that it didn't show a little bit of george's perspective.

it felt like there were a lot of rather unnecessary deaths. sure, maybe reality has a lot of death and stuff, but the reader in me feels like death can be a really cathartic device when handled properly (like snape's death…) but if you just say, “oh by the way, tonks and lupin died” it just… doesn't do anything. at times, it felt more like rowling was crossing out characters' names from a ledger, rather than actually describing the bloody battles that took place.

on the whole, though, I was so amazed at how these books have matured. I mean, they are kids' books, but the themes in them are so achingly human! lots of it seemed to echo all the hate crimes that have been happening nowadays… but also, the way that fear and panic made the people blind to the truth, and the slow subjugation of rights in the name of “security” really struck a chord with me as an american. lots of the heavier stuff seems to mirror quite accurately the complex tangles of social and political problems going on in the western world. I'd be interested in other people's thoughts on this, actually…

also, how did you guys feel about dumbledore by the end? I always thought he was kind of lame and preachy, but by the end of this book I felt like the dumbledore of the past few books had been an elaborate sham… but I still don't like him. and if I were harry I'd name my son Sirius, not Albus. (plus albus is not that cool of a name.)

oh yeah and I thought the epilogue was completely unnecessary. it seemed like a forced “high school reunion” kind of thing. also, kind of wishful thinking– everyone's married and has kids with highly significant names, and life is so peachy… I would've preferred it a lot more if it just ended with harry as a seventeen-year-old.

oh and you guys forgot colin creevey… god, that was freaking sad. oh, and harry kind-of-died… in a jesus sort of way, lol!

hmm I guess I had a whole lot to say about the book, hehehehe!!! well I'm interested in hearing your thoughts!! ^_^!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
jalford at 2:02AM, July 23, 2007
(online)
Never seen any of the movies or read any of the books, but if the main characters was going to actually die, then they should have him STAY dead, and not just some lame-o “comic book” type-dead. Neo died at the end of the Matrix series, which was really the only cool thing he did in the entire trilogy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
DemonSaintDante at 5:49PM, July 23, 2007
(online)
Yah i think i would have been happier with harry dieing or it ending were it was… though i did like finding out that he named on of his kids Severus… So im assuming by harry dieing the first time the horricrux was destroyed within him or something… i thought he would still have to die… but i guess i was wrong in that matter…

I under stood Lupin and Tonks dieing… it was basically more motive for harry to pursue V into the forest… Overall i thought the book was a little to drawn out… you didn't even really get to the story till 200 pages into it…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
PhatScurl at 6:44AM, Aug. 1, 2007
(offline)
im a slow ass reader and just finished it last night, and well…i don't know. Really i stopped caring about the series after about the 4th one, i was just interested in finding out how it ended, that was until i read the 6th one which i thought was phenomenol. Anyway, i finally get this book and, and it is a good book, but the ending is kind of choppy. I didn't nescarrily NEED the 19 years later bit, though it was kind of nice, i was more interested in the more present scenario of the book. Like through out the entire story there were subtle hints that Harry and Ginny would get back together, and Ron and Hermione were going out, but never real confirmation, suddenly it jumps ahead and there all freaking married. I really wanted to know what happened immediatley after the hogwarts year. What the crap does Harry do for a job? What does George do without his twin? Who is the new headmaster? It's all these little things that i think would've given the book more closure.

My only other complaint is the deathly hallows, does anybody else feel that that was a completely unnecessary plot element, i mean it really did absolutely nothing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
Phantom Penguin at 7:15PM, Aug. 1, 2007
(offline)
Who else thought the names chosen for the kids at the end were totally lame. I know they have meaning, but naming a kid “Albus Severus Potter” is asking for a ass kicking.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Atom Apple at 10:36PM, Aug. 4, 2007
(online)
marine
Harry Potter dies of wizard aids, and nothing of value was lost.
I thought Voldemort had to kill him.

…Oooh, Voldemort gave him AIDS.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:04AM
Aurora Moon at 7:44PM, Aug. 11, 2007
(offline)
finally got around to getting the book and read it in two days… it was pretty good.

although I did find the “set in the future” ending pretty sappy.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Mystic Hand at 10:12PM, Aug. 11, 2007
(online)
Aurora Moon
although I did find the “set in the future” ending pretty sappy.

I know it was supposed to be happy, but to me the epilogue was anticlimactic and a bit depressing. After all their adventures, no one seems to have amounted to much. They all became wizard yuppies and soccer moms.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
Loud_G at 12:54PM, Aug. 15, 2007
(online)
I enjoyed this book inmensely. I thought that Dumbledore's character got rounded out very well and I ended up respecting him MORE after finishing this one. I always knew which side Snape was on, but it felt good to read the confirmation. As for the Epilogue…I thought it was cute, and nice, and a fine way to end it.
Find out what George is up to:

Go! Visit George or he may have to eat you!*
*Disclaimer: George may or may not eat violators depending on hunger level and scarcity of better tasting prey.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Bekefel at 4:46PM, Aug. 15, 2007
(offline)
The book was brilliant, the epilogue was gay.
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:17AM
ccs1989 at 11:02AM, Aug. 26, 2007
(online)
The book was alright, but there were a lot of plotholes or just instances of bad writing such as when they introduce the “laws of magic” such as you can't make food, only increase it's amount. Why then can't they just get a little food and then increase the amount of that by a lot instead of whining about hunger?

Also the epilogue played out like the ending of a children's TV show. I guess that fits, being that it's a kids book, but I felt Rowling could have come up with something that read less like fan fiction. Overall however it's a decent end to a mediocre but addicting series. I'm just wondering if kids in future generations will still read the books, or if it's just a passing fad.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved