Media Megaforum

Harry Potter Book 7: Dumbledore kills Snape
skoolmunkee at 1:14PM, Aug. 27, 2007
(online)
ccs1989
The book was alright, but there were a lot of plotholes or just instances of bad writing such as when they introduce the “laws of magic” such as you can't make food, only increase it's amount. Why then can't they just get a little food and then increase the amount of that by a lot instead of whining about hunger?

You're a wizard, Jesus!

The magical rules have always been full of holes (couldn't a poor wizard just duplicate coins or something?) so I try not to dwell on them too much. I did get a sense in this book though that she had to try and paint her way back out of some corners. Why was the invisibility cloak so special all of a sudden in this book? She had done an all right job of hinting at future books in earlier books, but the deathly hallows kind of came out of nowhere, and some of the magic stuff did seem a little strange.

I thought the ending was a little too “and they lived happily ever after THE END SO THERE” … and none of them seemed to end up being important? It was like the point of the epilogue was to just prove that those couples got married and gave all their kids stupid names. It seemed to sort of trivialize the series- is that what they were supposed to have gotten from the whole series? I'm sure I'm not the only one who's going to pretend that epilogue didn't happen. :) If she were going to talk about what was going on 15 years down the line, I'd have a whole other list of people I'd much rather hear about. I already knew those guys would have happily ever afters.

I did like most of the book, as other said, there weren't many surprises but it was satisfying. The first half of the book really dragged. I'm sure that was meant to highlight their total lack of planning, but it made the end of the book go way too fast and seem a bit too ‘easy’ if you know what I mean. There was some interesting stuff though - more about goblins, the stuff with Fred and George was good (would have liked more), lots of fun bits with Molly, Dobby not being annoying for once, and even Hermione making some dumb mistakes.

I also didn't mind that certain people died, but that they were killed so offhandedly was kind of a disappointment. I know she can't give everyone a detailed death but some of these characters are pretty beloved- and the point was that Harry was deeply affected by these people who were so important to him- but they get all of two sentences telling the reader they're dead. That's not going to create much of an impact with the reader, so less chance they'll empathise with Harry.

I thought though at one point Rowling had said “Harry's not the 6th Horcrux and he won't die at the end of the book” … I was annoyed that she copped out of that by making him the 7th Horcrux and him sort-of-maybe dying. T_T
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
Red Slayer at 1:38PM, Aug. 27, 2007
(online)
skoolmunkee
ccs1989
The book was alright, but there were a lot of plotholes or just instances of bad writing such as when they introduce the “laws of magic” such as you can't make food, only increase it's amount. Why then can't they just get a little food and then increase the amount of that by a lot instead of whining about hunger?

You're a wizard, Jesus!

The magical rules have always been full of holes (couldn't a poor wizard just duplicate coins or something?) so I try not to dwell on them too much. I did get a sense in this book though that she had to try and paint her way back out of some corners. Why was the invisibility cloak so special all of a sudden in this book? She had done an all right job of hinting at future books in earlier books, but the deathly hallows kind of came out of nowhere, and some of the magic stuff did seem a little strange.

In one of the books says the money is magically protected to prevent that, and i guess they have ways to detect duplicated muggle money.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:03PM
EvilJared at 6:38PM, Sept. 2, 2007
(online)
…so neville's a teacher and they cant say who the new head master is? it should've been harry if he's so damn powerful, if not then the defense against the dark arts teacher since that class seemed to be pretty important in the earlier books. eitherway it was a pretty good book, snape is such a tragic character he should've done something cool before he died like..breakdance or something.
PorQ me
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
Dazzus at 4:06AM, Sept. 3, 2007
(offline)
And what was the whimpering thing that was “beyond help” in King's Cross after Harry died?
I'm still confused huh!?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
skoolmunkee at 8:13AM, Sept. 3, 2007
(online)
Dazzus
And what was the whimpering thing that was “beyond help” in King's Cross after Harry died?
I'm still confused huh!?

That was the last piece of Voldemort's soul, or something like it.

In one of the books says the money is magically protected to prevent that, and i guess they have ways to detect duplicated muggle money.
If not duplicating money then duplicating just about anything WORTH money, couldn't they just find some raw gold someplace and duplicate it? Etc. (Not trying to analyze this too deeply, just saying that the whole concept of wizards needing money is pretty unworkable)

they cant say who the new head master is? it should've been harry if he's so damn powerful, if not then the defense against the dark arts teacher since that class seemed to be pretty important in the earlier books.

I'm pretty sure that if they didn't say so in the book, there was an interview with Rowling directly after the book came out where they asked what their jobs were. Harry (and I think Ron) were Aurors, they can't teach if they're Aurors. :) I imagine Harry would prefer being out there fighting evil than in a classroom teaching about it anyway. (Harry wasn't ever especially powerful either, just clever and lucky)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
dueeast at 5:55PM, Sept. 4, 2007
(online)
For some reason, this morning, I was thinking “Harry Potter…Harry Morgan…Sherman Potter!”

That would've made for some swell sorcerer adventures, huh?

I think of weird things sometimes… LOL
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
Cthulhu at 9:36PM, Sept. 15, 2007
(online)
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa233/MeganFurter/1184849921742.gif
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:58AM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 9:36PM, Sept. 23, 2007
(offline)
It's funny how voldemort is one of the most powerful wizards of all-time yet… he died so stupidly…

skoolmunkee
Dazzus
they cant say who the new head master is? it should've been harry if he's so damn powerful, if not then the defense against the dark arts teacher since that class seemed to be pretty important in the earlier books.

I'm pretty sure that if they didn't say so in the book, there was an interview with Rowling directly after the book came out where they asked what their jobs were. Harry (and I think Ron) were Aurors, they can't teach if they're Aurors. :) I imagine Harry would prefer being out there fighting evil than in a classroom teaching about it anyway. (Harry wasn't ever especially powerful either, just clever and lucky)

Neville's predictably the new herbology teacher :\

skoolmunkee
It was like the point of the epilogue was to just prove that those couples got married and gave all their kids stupid names.

let's see… oh yes ‘Albus Severus’… that was one of those funny names…
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:54PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved