Media Megaforum

Has Don Bleuth Suddenly Died?
Freegurt at 3:04PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(online)
I seriously love his movies. They're so full of energy and original. After the Titan AE movie, he just dropped off the face of planet.
Even at my age, I still laugh at Feivel Goes West and Rock a Doodle. Heck, I even like his stuff more so than Disney's movies!
I'm just wondering what the heck happened to the guy. I miss 2D animation so much. :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Chernobog at 3:13PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(offline)
Well, he's about 70 now so he's pretty up there at this point. And Titan AE didn't do very well either. I like his style as a whole, but he's done some works that didn't strike me as very competitive ideas for this age or didn't seem too interesting.

According to the wiki, he also produced the animation for the Scissor Sister's “Mary”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZuq9dCWqLk

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
mlai at 8:31PM, Jan. 21, 2008
(online)
Just because someone drops off the Access Hollywood scale, doesn't mean they're dead or homeless. They're just living the private life like the rest of us, and probably 50x richer than most of us.

Take Dolph Lundgren. You think a guy like him must be homeless now, right? Wrong.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
isukun at 5:16AM, Jan. 22, 2008
(online)
Don Bluth is still making movies. I think he's got two or three projects in the works right now. Don't forget his studio isn't as big as Disney and doesn't have the manpower to work on as many projects simultaneously. Plus, unlike Disney, they don't have their own money to fund their projects, they have to get it from larger studios. If you're expecting his studio to pump out a movie every half year, you're expecting too much.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
lastcall at 6:13AM, Jan. 22, 2008
(offline)
He's always got his website up.

I saw Don Bluth talking at a Comic-Con seminar several years ago. I think he is one of the few remaining souls who still believes in the emotional power of pure 2D animation. Even Glen Keane has been converted; I heard the man talking on an iTunes podcast about his upcoming Rapunzel movie, and how much he loves 3D animation. …Keane, you traitor….

I had the privilege of interning under the co-director of a few of Bluth's films, Dan Kuenster. I still have nightmares of drawing cartoon rats over and over and over….but still, Mr. Kuenster had some interesting stories of when the Bluth studios was in Ireland.

When I worked for Fox they had a big Animation Sale before Christmas, and I had the opportunity to get an original painited cel from ‘A Troll In Central Park’ signed by Bluth, as well as a cleaned-up blue pencil frame from ‘Titan AE’. It was disgusting to think that Fox was selling them and that they were getting the profits as opposed to Bluth, but….what were ya gonna do.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
Hawk at 12:41PM, Jan. 22, 2008
(online)
About a year ago I heard Bluth was trying to gather funding for an animated movie version of Dragon's Lair. I'd sort of like to see that happen.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
lastcall at 6:47AM, Jan. 27, 2008
(offline)
Hawk
About a year ago I heard Bluth was trying to gather funding for an animated movie version of Dragon's Lair. I'd sort of like to see that happen.

As long as he sticks to 2D as much as possible; yeah, I'd see it too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved