Media Megaforum

Hayao Miyazaki's "Ponyo"
lastcall at 2:34PM, June 26, 2009
(offline)

I, uh….I hate to say this, but this doesn't look good at all to me. I love Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki's films (Kiki's Delivery Service and Howl's Moving Castle are two of my favorites), but either Disney ripped this movie a new one, or it's just not that great. The underwater scenes don't look that great to me.

What do you guys think?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
skoolmunkee at 3:02PM, June 26, 2009
(online)
Did Disney have anything at all to do with its making? I thought their deal was they bought the films Ghibli makes and just do international release versions (translations, edits, etc). If you think parts of the movie look bad, that's Ghibli.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
SarahN at 3:19PM, June 26, 2009
(online)
Just looks like a Miyazaki movie to me. I think it looks fine, but I agree the premise doesn't look all that interesting. I bet it'll be something along the lines of My Neighbor Totoro and Laputa, with sea creatures.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
Hawk at 5:14PM, June 26, 2009
(online)
What you're seeing is a Disney trailer of a Miyazaki movie. Naturally Disney's trying to present the movie in a way they think Westerners will be interested in it. But how do you do that? Probably by misrepresenting the movie, because Miyazaki's movies are strange enough that your average Western viewer isn't going to like it (results vary from movie to movie).

So if it helps you could chock this one up to a poor trailer. That doesn't mean the movie's not sub-par, though… even a master like Miyazaki could have a rare miss.

I look forward to it, though. Odds are good that it'll be an excellent movie, as usual.

skoolmunkee
Did Disney have anything at all to do with its making? I thought their deal was they bought the films Ghibli makes and just do international release versions (translations, edits, etc).

Yeah, that's the exact arrangement. You can really only blame Disney for the dubbing and marketing. I've been pretty pleased with how Disney has dubbed most of the Studio Ghibli films.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Sysli at 9:27AM, June 29, 2009
(online)
That's odd, the title seems familliar, but I seem to recall it from an old movie… That could be another explanation. I should probably check up on it.
Because I may as well show a bit of pride. ^___^

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
lastcall at 4:40AM, June 30, 2009
(offline)
Sysli
That's odd, the title seems familliar, but I seem to recall it from an old movie… That could be another explanation. I should probably check up on it.

The font they used looks very familiar, too…hmmm…

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
ozoneocean at 6:29AM, June 30, 2009
(online)
Hawk
I've been pretty pleased with how Disney has dubbed most of the Studio Ghibli films.
No. I'll have to seem like an anime nerd here and say no.
Basically I love foreign films (live action), so I have no problem with subtitles. People can watch dubbing if they wish, but it's better to hear how the thing was intended to sound- afterall the sound is 40% of almost any film. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but it's just as integral as the rest. Even if you can't understand the speac like the original audience would lol!
lastcall
The font they used looks very familiar, too…hmmm…

HA! well I could understand if that's part of the Disney contribution. Good old cut'n pasters. ;)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
theprettiestpony at 6:58AM, June 30, 2009
(offline)
i think the Japanese trailer is a lot more cute than the one we have, actually. just hope that they show it with subtitles where i live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uVIt9KexQI
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
Hawk at 9:30AM, June 30, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Basically I love foreign films (live action), so I have no problem with subtitles. People can watch dubbing if they wish, but it's better to hear how the thing was intended to sound- afterall the sound is 40% of almost any film.

Typically I'll agree with you since I can speak Japanese anyway, but you're not always watching TV with people who want to read subtitles, and when you do have to watch it dubbed I think Disney's dubbing is comparatively better than some others I've seen. Compare it to 20th Centurty Fox's awful dubbing of Princess Mononoke, or any of those poopy anime shows like Naruto or Inuyasha where they can't even say their own names correctly.

But Spirited Away is a special case for me. I actually think the English dub makes more sense of the story. The original Japanese audio is fine but it leaves more to your understanding of Japanese culture, which is entirely different from language fluency.
ozoneocean at 10:31AM, June 30, 2009
(online)
And I can't understand Japanese one single little bit :)
I'll always love the subbed version of Spirited Away though… not for anything intellectual, just because it was the first one I saw -on a perfect summer's night at an outdoor cinema. ^__^

Skullbie at 11:28AM, June 30, 2009
(online)
Yeah i heard about this a couple months ago and was like ‘meh’. What's always surprised me about miyazaki is how well and realistically he writes little girl characters, he apparently hates his own son's ass lol.

I'm getting a kikis delivery service vibe from Ponyo though so maybe it'll be hidden awesome.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
theprettiestpony at 12:25PM, June 30, 2009
(offline)
Skullbie
Yeah i heard about this a couple months ago and was like ‘meh’. What's always surprised me about miyazaki is how well and realistically he writes little girl characters, he apparently hates his own son's ass lol.

lolwhut?!
skoolmunkee at 1:47PM, June 30, 2009
(online)
Hawk
But Spirited Away is a special case for me. I actually think the English dub makes more sense of the story. The original Japanese audio is fine but it leaves more to your understanding of Japanese culture, which is entirely different from language fluency.
I agree with this. I first watched a subbed copy of Spirited Away and did not understand what the hell was going on. I thought it looked cute but I barely understood the story and I missed a lot of its nuance and charm. It only became a favorite of mine after I watched the dubbed version because it made more sense. I think they changed a couple elements of the story, but I don't miss what I didn't understand in the first place.

Actually that applies to a lot of subbed movies for me- I don't miss the original because I haven't seen it. :] If the voice acting is bad (like Mononoke's) then yeah there's a problem and I might go to the subbed version if it's available, but I think most of Disney's have worked out pretty well.

BTW Hawk- Mononoke was Disney too, but under their Miramax label because it was PG 13 :]
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
istaerlus at 6:41PM, July 1, 2009
(online)
theprettiestpony
i think the Japanese trailer is a lot more cute than the one we have, actually. just hope that they show it with subtitles where i live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uVIt9KexQI

The Japanese trailer made me want to see it more then the Disney one did.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
Splash Damage at 10:44AM, July 3, 2009
(online)
i trust that miyazaki has made another good movie. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt just because I enjoy everything he puts out. I have no real concern about the underwater scenes.
drunkduck.com/splash_damage
Updating Again.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
lothar at 3:22AM, July 4, 2009
(online)
gahhh !!! why did i start watching that trailer , i managed to go six months with all the hype surrounding this movie and still not have any idea wut its about and now after watching 10 seconds of trailer i think i pretty much know wut the plot is .
i'll prolly rent the DVD next week or whenever it is that it comes out
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
TheMidge28 at 9:34AM, July 4, 2009
(online)
Hawk
ozoneocean
Basically I love foreign films (live action), so I have no problem with subtitles. People can watch dubbing if they wish, but it's better to hear how the thing was intended to sound- afterall the sound is 40% of almost any film.

Typically I'll agree with you since I can speak Japanese anyway, but you're not always watching TV with people who want to read subtitles, and when you do have to watch it dubbed I think Disney's dubbing is comparatively better than some others I've seen. Compare it to 20th Centurty Fox's awful dubbing of Princess Mononoke, or any of those poopy anime shows like Naruto or Inuyasha where they can't even say their own names correctly.

also, most of his movies are aimed at children or teens… with some exceptions… and the last time I checked my daughter, let alone most American kids don't speak a lick of Japanese and can't read subtitles every 2-3 seconds or read, period. So for Disney, and for most of the audience in America and elsewhere in the world that have “kids” as its target audience, chosing dubbing over subtitles is an excellent move. ;)
ozoneocean at 12:10PM, July 4, 2009
(online)
TheMidge28
for most of the audience in America and elsewhere in the world that have “kids” as its target audience, chosing dubbing over subtitles is an excellent move. ;)
Not in Australia. These came out in the cinema and DVD only with subs… So maybe American kids just can't read that fast… :)

TheMidge28 at 2:13PM, July 4, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
TheMidge28
for most of the audience in America and elsewhere in the world that have “kids” as its target audience, chosing dubbing over subtitles is an excellent move. ;)
Not in Australia. These came out in the cinema and DVD only with subs… So maybe American kids just can't read that fast… :)

or as I said, they can't read at all.
Gwen's still trying to use the potty for crying out loud.
I can't expect her to read subtitles flying by about some dust bunnies and a huge bug eyed forest dwelling cat-thing when she can't even hold her own bladder.
ozoneocean at 3:39PM, July 4, 2009
(online)
TheMidge28
In that case, does she even understand what they're saying anyway?

Seems to me you're just arguing this for the sake of it Midgy -_-

Hawk at 3:46PM, July 4, 2009
(online)
skoolmunkee
BTW Hawk- Mononoke was Disney too, but under their Miramax label because it was PG 13 :]

You know, you're right. I confused it with an old DVD of “My Neighbor Totoro”, which was localized by 20th Century FOX, had an ugly faux-Disney cover, and no option for Japanese language with subtitles. This was a travesty, because for the dubbed audio they did that “grown woman faking a little girl's voice” thing that made me wish for less than happy endings.

Thankfully, I don't think there's a single Disney-issued Studio Ghibli movie that doesn't come with both subbing and dubbing. Most of them also come with French.
TheMidge28 at 10:25AM, July 5, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
TheMidge28
In that case, does she even understand what they're saying anyway?

Um… yeah, if they're talking in english.
That's why the dubbing is great for the Studio Ghibli films.
you'd be surprised what she understand's at her age.
ozoneocean at 5:47PM, July 5, 2009
(online)
Ok Midgy :)

TheMidge28 at 7:02PM, July 5, 2009
(online)
okay Ozzy! ;)
so when is Studio Ghibli doing the Pinky TA movie?
ozoneocean at 5:05AM, July 6, 2009
(online)
Next year. It'll be all in Klingon.
No subs or dubs, but dictionaries will be provided.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved