Media Megaforum

Heard 'Em Say
Ian Jay at 4:37PM, Dec. 20, 2005
(offline)
My sister has suddenly gotten way into Kanye West. (Yeah, I know. Weird, huh? Considering she's been steeped in a background of country music from my mom and alt-rock from me. She's not into the whole “I'm going to pretend like I'm black” thing, though, which is a major relief.) One of her favorite videos quickly became one of my favorites as well when she showed it to me; it's for a song called “Heard ‘Em Say”.

Apparently the original video was made by some fancypants director named Michael Gondry, at a price of half a million dollars. Kanye didn’t like how it was shaping up mid-shoot, so he called upon Bill Plympton, an independent animator whose shorts Kanye was a big fan of. Bill got one week and the meager scrapings of the rest of the video's budget from MTV.

The result, though, is spectacular, almost like a doodle come to life. And the song is catchy to boot. Kudos, Bill Plympton, for making the music business a little more wonderful. And kudos to Kanye West for trusting this guy enough to throw away a half-million dollar production.

See the video here.

~IJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
ccs1989 at 6:17PM, Dec. 20, 2005
(online)
Animation? Why didn't you say so sooner? Well let's see here…

Hmm…Nice. That be olde pencil animation that there is. Original too. Though I'm sure many people won't like it. I gotta agree though, it's admirable.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
Terminal at 11:19AM, Dec. 21, 2005
(online)
I too got into Kanye West`s music. I`m not a rap fan or anything. I don`t say, “oh look at me. I`m shot some peoplez, fcuk the cops” or “Sup, hommies. I was just down in the SPC kickin it wit some G`s on the Westside” It`s just that well, His music is so good. It`s not like most of the superifical rap out there. It`s firmley rooted in reality with things you can sympathize. With catchy beats and catchy videos. Kanye West is truley a rapper I respect.

It also takes a man of great courage to stand up to MTV. From Macy`s to animation, kick ass.

.: Myxomatosis :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:09PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved