Media Megaforum

Help stop the madness
isukun at 6:58PM, April 9, 2008
(online)
Sign the petition

Uwe Boll excels at sticking his feet in his mouth. Only 850,000 more signatures before he retiresmaybe.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 7:50PM, April 9, 2008
(offline)
Uwe Boll's movies are as canon as a bad fan fic. Just don't watch them. He can still make his money on the idiots. Everyone wins.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:07AM
TheMidge28 at 8:38PM, April 9, 2008
(online)
Its a worthy cause!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:24PM
Frostflowers at 1:25AM, April 10, 2008
(online)
On the one hand… I want Uwe Boll to stop committing crimes against the art of movie-making, but on the other hand, his movies are a bit like watching a train wreck - morbidly fascinating.

I'm torn on this issue. Advice?
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
AQua_ng at 1:44AM, April 10, 2008
(online)
Frostflowers
On the one hand… I want Uwe Boll to stop committing crimes against the art of movie-making, but on the other hand, his movies are a bit like watching a train wreck - morbidly fascinating.

I'm torn on this issue. Advice?

Go sign the petition and then type ‘train wrecks’ into YouTube.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:59AM
Steely Gaze at 6:32AM, April 10, 2008
(offline)
Funny thing is, if Uwe Boll just made his crappy little movies like any other directors, like Charles Band, and didn't mutilate video game adaptations, no one would care.

Personally, his movies are horrible, but they aren't bad enough to make me sign an online petition that won't achieve anything.
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
Custard Trout at 8:43AM, April 10, 2008
(offline)
The problem with Uwe Boll is that he was exploiting a loop hole in one of Germany's tax laws, so it didn't matter if people watched them or not. I heard it got fixed though, so I'm not sure now.

Maybe this petition won't do a thing, but I'm signing it anyway.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:00PM
isukun at 10:25AM, April 10, 2008
(online)
Personally, his movies are horrible, but they aren't bad enough to make me sign an online petition that won't achieve anything.

Ah, but that's where this petition differs from most. In most cases, people put up petitions and the company/celebrity/studio/developer just ignores it. In this case, Uwe Boll was stupid enough to actually make a public statement that if one million people signed the petition, he'd quit making movies. He's already sort of back-peddling on that one, but even if he doesn't honor his word, at least it makes him look like an even bigger douche than normal and that's worth something. At the very least, it makes up for the boxing fiasco.
lefarce at 1:17PM, April 10, 2008
(offline)
isukun

Ah, but that's where this petition differs from most. In most cases, people put up petitions and the company/celebrity/studio/developer just ignores it. In this case, Uwe Boll was stupid enough to actually make a public statement that if one million people signed the petition, he'd quit making movies. He's already sort of back-peddling on that one, but even if he doesn't honor his word, at least it makes him look like an even bigger douche than normal and that's worth something. At the very least, it makes up for the boxing fiasco.

Except that the only people who would care that he looks like a bigger douche are the same people who are making him look like a bigger douche, which in full circle terms means no one gives a damn.

Same with Jack Thompson. When will gaming nerds understand that in order to take power away from someone you hate, you need to stop giving them more attention?

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 2:12PM, April 10, 2008
(offline)
I agree with Farce.

(Oh boy that's new.)
Steely Gaze at 4:11PM, April 10, 2008
(offline)
One minor difference between Jack Thompson and Uwe Boll. One ruins movie properties based on video games, the other tries to ban those games. Boll is just an annoyance, someone who can be ignored with no harmful repercussions, Thompson, if left alone, would try to take away many of the properties I love.

Now, you can say he's best ignored, but that's sort of like ignoring the man with the big wire cutters heading for your cable box. Sure, maybe he won't manage to cut those wires and take away your entertainment, but wouldn't you feel better stopping him?
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:57PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 4:29PM, April 10, 2008
(offline)
You wouldn't be happy with a movie adaption no matter who makes it. Media these days isn't designed to cross mediums. We just single out Boll because he's made more.
isukun at 8:21PM, April 10, 2008
(online)
Same with Jack Thompson. When will gaming nerds understand that in order to take power away from someone you hate, you need to stop giving them more attention?

Actually, the only way to take power away from people like Jack Thompson are to expose them for what they really are. You ignore them and it adds legitimacy to their plight and people start taking them seriously. The loudest voice tends to be the one most heard.

With Uwe Boll, it's a similar situation. The more projects Uwe Boll gets his hands on, the less properties are available for more capable directors and writers. The petition is not just to attack Uwe Boll. The idiot has actually made it into more of a publicity stunt. It is much more likely studios will actually look at this and maybe even come to the realization that there is a bigger market for these titles than they thought and all they have to do is make the movies better. Ignore the problem and then you end up with the same result as ignoring Jack Thompson. It gives legitimacy to studios choosing Uwe Boll for their game-based projects. Why spend a lot of money when this guy can use financial loopholes and pump out extremely low budget films that make very little money, but still turn a profit? If Hollywood can make money this way and they don't see any evidence that there is a market for the genre, why should they change anything?
lefarce at 12:04AM, April 11, 2008
(offline)
I'm going off the logic that Jack and Uwe are basically trolling irl, and that everyone is feeding them and that's stupid and they need to stop.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
isukun at 6:08AM, April 11, 2008
(online)
Jack didn't start getting into trouble until people started “feeding him”. He isn't some internet troll, he's got his own agenda which usually involves making money through court cases again video games. As I said, the more he makes noise on the issue and the less anyone does about it, the more legitimacy his cause gains. I don't see other anti-gaming advocates stopping just because they don't get the negative attention that Jack Thompson gets. Not surprisingly, people tend to LISTEN to them, too.

The biggest problem with equating people like them to simple trolls, is that they are both after very different things. People like Uwe Boll and Jack Thompson are out there to make money. Jack Thompson doesn't crave attention, he only puts on his little show to get hired for multi-million dollar court cases. He's willing to pull some pretty over the top stunts just to keep from being disbarred. There isn't any money in being a spokesman. Uwe Boll is the same kind of greedhog. Keep Hollywood's expectations of the genre low, and he can keep making his crappy movies and raping some of our favorite franchises. Don't do anything, and he's proven his point that people don't need or want good movies based on video games and Hollywood may as well just continue with the Uwe Boll option.
plas at 12:26AM, April 12, 2008
(offline)
didn't uwe bolls last movie have Burt Reynolds as a King with a group of Ninja Assassins?

come on people how is that not awesome?

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

all he needed was for them to fight Christopher Walken and his band of pirates :P
I has no picture :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
Custard Trout at 1:01AM, April 12, 2008
(offline)
plas
didn't uwe bolls last movie have Burt Reynolds as a King with a group of Ninja Assassins?

come on people how is that not awesome?

Watch it, then you'll understand.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:00PM
plas at 1:43AM, April 12, 2008
(offline)
Custard Trout
Watch it, then you'll understand.

I tried, I couldn't make it through the film. Sadly I never got to see the ninjas…
Hawk at 12:48PM, April 27, 2008
(online)
Are you guys sure you want to get rid of Uwe Boll?

I mean, the guy himself is WAY more entertaining than any of his movies. I say we keep giving him movie rights to less-important videogames, or games he couldn't possibly make worse. Then we watch to see what kind of people he gets in boxing matches with.

There's something enjoyable about the guy. It's like if William Hung thought he was really awesome and regularly challenged his detractors to street fights.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
isukun at 5:06PM, April 27, 2008
(online)
I can't help but pity him. He seems to honestly think he is some sort of cinematic genius.
jalford at 1:54AM, May 5, 2008
(online)
God knows I want to see Bloodrayne 3: The Suckening!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Hawk at 9:22AM, May 5, 2008
(online)
Boll just put out a new video hyping up his fight with Michael Bay, who supposedly agreed to the fight. I don't think Bay actually agreed to it, but Boll is trying to get every bit of attention out of this that he can.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
plas at 12:36PM, May 7, 2008
(offline)
Hawk
I mean, the guy himself is WAY more entertaining than any of his movies. I say we keep giving him movie rights to less-important videogames, or games he couldn't possibly make worse. Then we watch to see what kind of people he gets in boxing matches with.

There's something enjoyable about the guy. It's like if William Hung thought he was really awesome and regularly challenged his detractors to street fights.

Thats what I'm saying, I've honestly never seen one of Uwe Boll's films but the man is just bloody entertaining. I say the next franchise we give him is either “Battle Chess” or “Day of the Tentacle”

oh god I can just imagine what he would do with those…

or hell, give him “Pong” and see what he does with that.
jalford at 4:20PM, May 10, 2008
(online)
But even he couldn't have f–ked up the Hitman movie more than it already was.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved