Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Help with Black and White
Janen at 4:51PM, Oct. 27, 2007
(offline)
Hi,
So here's the story: I need to start coloring my pages in black and white, but they were not inked so they somewhat rough to just post without coloring. I need a style that looks clean and requires little time since that's what I don't have. I already colored a month and a half worth of colored pages so I have given myself some time to receive advice from you guys. Below an example of what the raw panel look like without curve balance or anything.
Here's the image(for those reading the comic its the least spoilerish image I could find):

Also I don't have access to a scanner but I have already a bunch of pages in 300 dpi scanned, which basically look like the image above. I'd appreciate any styles that apply to what I have, so no Painter, use of tablet, or inking. Thank you so much in advance for your help and who knows if you need some tips I might know something. Take care.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
CharleyHorse at 8:25PM, Oct. 27, 2007
(offline)
I'm not sure what you want. I mean your artwork looks good. If you want an inked effect without doing any inking then I think that a technique I picked up from gigatwo would work for you.

His stuff is for The Gimp application, but it's probably the same commands and process for photoshop, if that is what you are using.

Here are his directions in my words:

1] Flatten the image.

2] Use guassian blur by 2 or 3 pixels.

3] Then use the levels tools and slide the black arrow up quite a bit. Now slide the white arrow down a small amount. Repeat if necessary.

I've used this technique a few times in the past and it does indeed produce an inked look with a scanned pencil sketch. If that's something along the lines of what you are looking for then great. If not though, then someone else will probably come closer to the mark.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
Janen at 8:54PM, Oct. 27, 2007
(offline)
What I meant is that it may look too simple, it needs grays or something. I tried your technique though and I'll definitely use it, its wonderful, its amazing how much it cleans the image. Thank you very much for your input.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
CharleyHorse at 4:45AM, Oct. 28, 2007
(offline)
You are welcome Janen. It is a technique that I learned from another cartoonist, Gigatwo.

Unfortunately I seldom used color for the placement of tonal values. I might have had I stuck with my particular piece of work. But if nobody else comes up with something that you can use, DrunkDuck has that tutorial section – the tab for it is just above this forum header – and there might be something in those offerings that you can use.

Best of good fortune to you!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved