Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Help with panels
Maximilian207 at 7:25PM, May 14, 2007
(offline)
I'm pretty new to the web comic thing, but something I've always wanted to know is this: how does everyone do their panels? Is there a way to make good panels on the computer (say, in Photoshop?), or do most people hand draw them? I know there are many sprite comics and similar things that obviously use Photoshop, as the panels are just a big grid, which is not what I'm looking for at all. Thanks in advance for any help! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
Darth Mongoose at 1:02AM, May 15, 2007
(online)
I draw mine by hand, but I have a little helper. My rotoring drawing board. Having clipped the paper onto that, the ruler clips on easily, and it has ruler markings on the edges as well, so measuring and drawing panels is really simple. I got mine as a hand-me-down from my dad (he used to do technical drawing for submarine building with it) but you can still buy (slightly modernised and improved) versions. They're a little pricey, but very handy.

The way some artists do it is to draw each panel on seperate paper, then make a frame of panels in photoshop or whatever, put the drawings on layers underneath and move them as desired.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
silentkitty at 8:34AM, May 15, 2007
(offline)
Well, when I'm not working digitally, I just get an art board and slap a ruler down on top of it. lol! Nothing really technical about it.

I do tiny thumbnails on a separate sheet of paper and lay the page out in a bunch of different ways to see which one I like better, then eyeball it onto the bigger board. I definitely prefer to think of comic pages as a whole unit, instead of broken up into individual panels, so the thumbnails help me to see how the page will “flow” before I finish. (Even if the page is individual panels, in my opinion, there should still be a visual flow to move your eye from box to box. It's important to think about where objects are placed in each panel and where they make your eye move on the page.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:37PM
Hijuda at 1:15PM, May 15, 2007
(offline)
My comic is both done digitally and in a standard comic strip format, so I have no need to redraw panels. What I do is paste a set of premade panels into a new layer in Photoshop, and just draw under it.
It's a comic!

LOLOL LAMFAO
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
Kinuchio at 6:48PM, May 15, 2007
(offline)
Well, I do it semi-originally. I use a ruler first, to make a panel, since I'm a terrible clutz and can't draw a straight line for my life, even with the ruler. Anyway, once I make the entire page and scan it, I use Paint.Net to clip out what is in the panel. I then paste it on a new page and draw the new lines to surround the panel. Basically, I use the ruler just for organization.

I complicate things… :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Maximilian207 at 7:29PM, May 15, 2007
(offline)
Okay, it's nice to know how everyone does it, and thanks!

Hah, I don't think that's complicated so much as it is original. I think it's always nice to have a unique style, it gives comics their own feel.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
uber_lorax at 8:14PM, May 18, 2007
(offline)
hey maximilian207 is your avatar in hindi? just wondering. and i'm new at the whole comics thing too so i'll probobly use some of the tips. thanks! :)
The Uber Lorax DuN dUn DUNNNNNN!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
Aurora Moon at 2:27AM, May 19, 2007
(offline)
I just do each picture/panel seperately in photoshop, and then paste them all over to an white blank page.. that way each panel has thier own layer. Then I set all the layers to “stroke” in the layer properties list, and turn the “stroke” deafult red into other colors such as basic black.
Then I aranage them in a way which looks good to me. and I'll even change the shape of the panels by erasing away some parts of the panels, to give the layout of the panels a more intersting look.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved