Help, Support and Suggestions

help with the white around the color
Phantom Penguin at 1:12PM, Feb. 28, 2007
(offline)
i have a problem with getting the white jagged lines inside my line art and color out of my comics (look at any page of Bullet to see what i mean)the only way i know of getting them out is painfully long:

1. Scan your inked art in at 600 dpi (or better)in “Line Art” mode.
2. Once scanned in then convert to Greyscale. (Image > Mode > Greyscale)
3. Reduce the dpi to around 300dpi. (Image > Image Size > resolution 300dpi. This is the minium dpi for print in case you ever want to get your comics printed)
4. Convert to CMYK. (Image > Mode > CMYK color.)
5. This will now be your “Art Layer”. On the layers pallet there is a pulldown menu that says “Normal”. Pull this down to “Multiply”. This will make your top “Art Layer” transparent so you can see your “Color Layer” underneath.
6. Make a new layer under the “Art Layer”, call this your “Color Layer”.
7. You can then color the “Color Layer” with all kinds of effects and not get the white around your linework as you have now. (Also play around with the airbrush tool and the filters, there's some really cool things you can do.)
8. Once you're done coloring save you page. (Save along the way also in case your machine crahses…I learned this the hard way.)
9. Now go: File > Save for Web > Jpeg, Max resolution.
10. You can then close your colored Photoshop file.
11. Open the Jpeg file you just exported.
12. Convert to Greyscale (Image > Mode > Greyscale) It'll turn all of you colors to greyscale.
13. Convert it back to RGB (Image > Mode > RG It has to be RGB for posting on the web.

is there any shorter ways? HELP!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
subcultured at 1:38PM, Feb. 28, 2007
(online)
http://www.drunkduck.com/Subcultured_Tutorials/index.php?p=37808
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
reconjsh at 11:28PM, March 2, 2007
(online)
Subcultured said it right… it's a matter of using 2 layers… inking set to multiply and the color underneath… that's it. Takes 10 seconds.

It seems like there's alot of extra steps in there. Why convert to Greyscale so many times? That's completely unncessary since photoshop doesn't ‘see’ colors… it only ‘sees’ greyscale anyways (or rather varying levels of grey on different channels that represent dipslayed/printed colors)… you can go from CMYK to RGB directly. PS ‘sees’ greyscale, RGB, and CMYK all simultaeneously.

Also, if you're going to work at 300 DPI, why not just scan at 300 DPI? There's no benefit to this that I can find on MY scanner. Perhaps yours is different?

By hand, that whole process minus the time for coloring might take you how long? 1 minute? And you can write an Action Script to do all that for you anyways… use Action Scripts… that's alot of the power of PS that you're missing out on.

Here's your technique without the unnecessary stuff:
1. Scan at 300dpi.
2. Convert to CMYK (or just scan at CMYK).
3. Make a “Levels” non-destructive “Layers” adjustment to ensure you only have BLACK and WHITE on the scanned image. (i.e. increase contrast)
4. Convert layer to a New Layer and set to “Multiply”. (Never alter the orginal layer for back-up sake). Label it “Inks”
5. Make a new layer under the “Inks”, call this “Color”.
6. You can then color the “Color” Layer
7. Convert file to RGB.
8. Now go: File > Save for Web > Jpeg, Max resolution.

If you need an Action Script written for you, send me a PQ and I'll gladly do it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved