Comic Talk and General Discussion *

hero by night on tv
subcultured at 6:21PM, Nov. 16, 2008
(online)
wow that's cool! (read skool's post about it)—->

at least platinum is showing signs that they are still working towards big investments and hopefully are profitable. I was worried that Platinum might end up like Malibu comics

i hope the best for platinum cause it will increase DD's longevity in the web (they pay the bills).

although i wonder if DJ is getting any residuals from the show. anyone know?

J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:04PM
Ozoneocean at 7:06PM, Nov. 16, 2008
(online)
Poo! I can't see the damn vid at work >_<

Yeah, I got's this press release t' other day… But thought Skool would be better to post it.

It's good news!
So when that becomes a T.V. show, people had BETTER WATCH IT FOR F***'S SAKE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
Skullbie at 7:18PM, Nov. 16, 2008
(online)
*shits envy EVERYWHERE*

But seriously that is cool, A webcomic becoming a show…wow.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
Chernobog at 7:50PM, Nov. 16, 2008
(offline)
I think this is really cool!

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
Lonnehart at 10:08PM, Nov. 16, 2008
(online)
wow.. that was… educational. I'm glad places like Drunkduck exist. I don't want my characters to be “owned” by someone other than myself. :(

Just checked out the Wikipedia entry for Image Comics. Looks like history repeating itself with the management at Marvel not having learned anything. Kinda sad, I think…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
Ozoneocean at 11:28PM, Nov. 16, 2008
(online)
Saw the vid.

Haha, Sub, don't be a dick :P
SarahN at 11:36PM, Nov. 16, 2008
(online)
Skullbie
*shits envy EVERYWHERE*

Ditto. That is so cool…
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
Blues at 7:33AM, Nov. 17, 2008
(offline)
I expect to see this when I see FOX actually make their You Damn Kid! show
theres this girl i know, she's a lovely person and all, but she's absolutely obsessed with me… she speaks to me on msn every day and says she loves me and wants to be with me forever, all that shit, theres just one problam…
she's my cousin
and i dunno what to do… she's 100% serious
apparently (according to my mother) she spoke to my mother and asked if it was okay… my mum then proceeded to come in and say “go for it”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
DAJB at 9:35AM, Nov. 17, 2008
(online)
subcultured
i wonder if DJ is getting any residuals from the show. anyone know?
You can find DJ Coffman's take on this development here, at Comicon's “The Pulse” website.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
Ozoneocean at 12:21PM, Nov. 17, 2008
(online)
DAJB
subcultured
i wonder if DJ is getting any residuals from the show. anyone know?
You can find DJ Coffman's take on this development here, at Comicon's “The Pulse” website.
Pretty anodyne. Not much to read.
worstcase at 3:30PM, Nov. 17, 2008
(online)
I am so happy…I want to watch this show! That doesnt exist yet!

DOoo, OO! oo! What is the theme song gonna sound like?!

DUnndudndudndudndundnd HEROBYNIGHT———————!

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
Walrus at 6:09PM, Nov. 17, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
Poo! I can't see the damn vid at work >_<

Yeah, I got's this press release t' other day… But thought Skool would be better to post it.

It's good news!
So when that becomes a T.V. show, people had BETTER WATCH IT FOR F***'S SAKE!

Oh, I will. Hopefully the show goes over well and they renew DJ's contract so he can get back to making HBN.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
TheMidge28 at 6:23PM, Nov. 17, 2008
(online)
I always thought The Greatest American Hero was a great show.
“Believe it or not I'm walking on air”

I don't see this show happening.
I read the article and the press and honestly it may show up on UPN right after Magic's Secrets Revealed XVIII and then disappear after 5 episodes to then potential resurface 10 years later on the SciFi Network played during the day like the shows Level 9, Friday The 13th The Series and Haunted. (If you are not familiar with those shows then that's my point… no idea Matthew Fox had a show before Lost called Hauntedhuh?)

But seriously, if I was DJ, I would be so pissed. DJ has no rights to the property any more and he will just have sit there and watch them rape it. And how about the comparison to Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons of Watchmen in relation to making this show… Really? Really?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
Ozoneocean at 6:46PM, Nov. 17, 2008
(online)
TheMidge28
But seriously, if I was DJ, I would be so pissed. DJ has no rights to the property any more and he will just have sit there and watch them rape it. And how about the comparison to Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons of Watchmen in relation to making this show… Really? Really?
That was the deal he walked into with open eyes at the very beginning. If it was me I'd be completely resigned to it and just interested to see how things would go.

He put a lot into it but it wasn't one of his most prized, precious magnum opuses. DJ is one man who deservers WAY more credit than that- he put this thing together to win that contest; he went for it, he beat the competition, he got the idea into production. It must be a little bemusing to him that people think of him like some sort of 18 year old wide eyed wet behind the ears neophyte…

-I'm not saying you do Midge, but it's the impression a lot of people seem to have.
Hawk at 8:55PM, Nov. 17, 2008
(online)
At least it sounds like he's got something more important to him right now that he's focused on. That kind of makes Hero By Night the toy he's no longer playing with. I'm sure he does want to see it done right, but he's currently into those Flobots or something.

And Platinum is still crediting him! I'm sure the credits will say, “Based on the web graphic novel by D. J. Coffman”

The kind of neat thing is, the first webcomic to make that jump to an on-the-air TV show is a DrunkDuck-dwelling contest winner… not Penny-Arcade or MegaTokyo or something. That is, of course, if this really does happen. I'm still waiting for a Metroid movie that was announced but will never happen. It could very well be that this announcement is mostly fluff to make it look like Platinum is up to big things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
TheMidge28 at 6:22PM, Nov. 18, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
That was the deal he walked into with open eyes at the very beginning. If it was me I'd be completely resigned to it and just interested to see how things would go.

He put a lot into it but it wasn't one of his most prized, precious magnum opuses. DJ is one man who deservers WAY more credit than that- he put this thing together to win that contest; he went for it, he beat the competition, he got the idea into production.

and with all that hard work even if it wasn't the Opus magnum anyone would still feel the tinge of hurt and regret… even you Ozone.
(If you say otherwise than you are not human.) ;)

Believe me, major props to him for his webcomic and all his hardwork but at the end of it all I don't see much coming from this tv deal. I think the superhero fad is now on the way out and with it by the time this show hits tv in whatever market that is, its going to flop… no matter how close it remains true to the source material and production value. ;)

I think Plastic has more chances at being successful as a tv show than Hero By Night. The material in that comic has more of an appeal to a larger demographic right up there with Gossip Girl and the 90210 relaunch. Yeah it has lesbians but if Plastic was a TV show… Who wouldn't watch it? I would. And I have an excuse to watch it. If it was a show, my wife would be the one who would be all about… Plastic is on… Plastic is on… DVR it. Then I would act like I didn't want to watch and had to put up with it but in secret I would be like… YEE-HA! lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
Hapoppo at 9:21AM, Nov. 22, 2008
(online)
Skullbie
*shits envy EVERYWHERE*

I second that. When do I get my show about hot girls in corsets fighting CG pirate skeletons?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:42PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon