Media Megaforum

High School of the Dead - Best Zombie Anime/Manga of the Decade
Eunice P at 8:08PM, July 31, 2010
(offline)
It's rare to find good anime/manga these days. High School of the Dead will be just as good as the top classic anime/manga series made.

- The panty shots and enormous bouncy boobs can be quite a distraction.
- Only two characters in the series can be a bit annoying.

+ The storyline outweighs the fanservice scenes
+ Some nostalgic 90's anime/manga art style influence
+ A world infested with zombies
++ Serious drama that doesn't have super powered heroes, perverted male characters or bubbly high school girls
+++++ very 80's style of horror manga storyline. This is perhaps the biggest plus, where horror is supposed to be horror. This series successfully capture quite an amount of psychological fear involved in the characters

Sample video:
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
mlai at 4:46AM, Aug. 15, 2010
(online)
Thanks for the notice. I'm following this series now and it is REALLY good. It's basically classic Night Of The Living Dead style kind of story. None of the newfangled twists on the theme such as humor like in Zombieland, just straight-up “serious” zombie apocalypse that we can't get enough of.

Yeah there's a ton of fanservice. Sex and gore kind of go together, I guess.

The art style is like Eureka Seven, but with a really really high budget. I don't know which anime studio is doing this one but they're working HARD. This is movie-quality anime, I kid you not.

++ Serious drama that doesn't have super powered heroes, perverted male characters or bubbly high school girls
Actually, a few of the characters are so good at fighting it's like they're out of some John Woo flick. And there is a stereotypical otaku and a blonde ditz in the group.

But that's alright. This is anime high school meets NotLD. Awesome.

P.S. The male lead is no pervert, but he's unknowingly getting a harem formed around him I think. I guess when you're the go-to guy surrounded by a bunch of female survivors, it's bound to happen…

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Product Placement at 5:41AM, Aug. 15, 2010
(online)
Hey! I guess those old zombie flicks have finally caught the attention of the anime studios out there. I know zombies are not exactly a new invention for them as well but this is the first time I've ever seen Asian zombie related content that looked so similar to our old school zombie films. I'm giving this an hearty thumbs up.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
AQua_ng at 5:21PM, Aug. 15, 2010
(online)
I haven't seen the anime (animated by MADHOUSE who did Death Note), but I have read the manga. There is a lot of fanservice, especially in the earlier parts. Of course, with all the sex and violence, it probably won't win any awards in subtlety, but it's absolutely clear about what it wants to achieve from the get go and it passes that in flying colours. Also, I was legit scared a lot of the times, but that may be because of the fact that I am actually scared of zombies.

So I guess I can recommend it, but don't expect anything too mind-provoking apart from the usual message of how humans could cope when taken away from society's laws and order.

My lord that nurse has giant melons.

Edit: Also, you can watch it for free and legally on The Anime Network (I don't work for them, but they should give me money for some reason)

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:59AM
Product Placement at 6:00PM, Aug. 15, 2010
(online)
The Anime Network
Access Denied by Region
T.T

Oh, well. I decided to look up a less legitimate way to watch the first episode.

My first impression: Why does the nurse need to have her own sound effects? Hearing those *boinga* *boinga* *boinga* jiggle sounds, every time she so much as turned her head didn't exactly scream “subtle”.

Otherwise, it was an enjoyable experience.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Koshou at 11:50PM, Aug. 16, 2010
(offline)
I had my doubts about this series (due to the opinion of a friend who always seems to hate the popular thing every season lol) but I'm really liking it so far. The zombies are cool, the violence is cool, and the unnecessary fanservice isn't too distracting…

Too bad all the characters are flat as cardboard, but who the hell watches zombie stuff for the characters, anyway.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
mlai at 12:37AM, Aug. 17, 2010
(online)
The 2 main charas (the male and female lead) aren't flat. They have as much personality depth as any decent shoujo anime. The male lead is a quiet guy, but you get to hear his thoughts on stuff.

The girl has decent characterization, though she's not very likeable right now. But it's not her fault she has reservations regarding the male lead. I can understand her lack of sensitivity by her being a teen. And a bitch.

Okay that was harsh.

AQua_ng at 5:18AM, Aug. 17, 2010
(online)
Trust me, the girls are definitely not flat.

HEH HEH HEH.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:59AM
mlai at 3:44AM, Aug. 23, 2010
(online)
Just watched the latest episode (#7), the episode that introduced the latest character for the pedo audience. Wow… I'm not one to really mind fan service, but boy did they go OVERBOARD with it on this episode.

When there is so much fanservice that you're left feeling that there's not enough screentime devoted to moving the plot forward, something's wrong.

Seems like everyone will put clothes on again next episode, so I'm hoping for some story progression.

Product Placement at 8:06AM, Aug. 23, 2010
(online)
mlai
Just watched the latest episode (#7), the episode that introduced the latest character for the pedo audience. Wow… I'm not one to really mind fan service, but boy did they go OVERBOARD with it on this episode.
And episode 6 didn't give you that impression at all? “Oh… he he. We're so drunk now. I just don't know what we might end up doing.”

You're right tho. The fanservice is definitely about to reach critical mass and implode on itself. I'm starting to feel that the female characters are becoming a bit annoying cause all they seem to do is flash their junk around. And that teacher with her “sound effects” boobs…

Still… I'm willing to overlook it for now, expecting that they'll start toning it down, eventually. I kinda like this classic zombie genre and am hoping that they end up doing it right.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
ozoneocean at 9:30AM, Aug. 23, 2010
(online)
mlai
but boy did they go OVERBOARD with it on this episode.
Reminds me of Burn Up W

That was AWESOME! O_O
Boobular!

What a cool show.

…I've only seen that one episode, but it didn't really seem that violent. -And I don't even like graphic violence, in fact I rather disapprove of too much of it… but here, there wasn't enough. They were very gentle with it.

Please tell me that every episode has that much bare skin and jiggle? If not, I prolly won't watch it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
mlai at 6:10PM, Aug. 23, 2010
(online)
Don't worry, Ozone. After the first episode (cuz y'know, they actually had to spend screentime to set up the story), you can't go 5 minutes without seeing some new manner of jiggle.

@ PP:
I know why I personally like the zombie apocalypse genre. It's the peace n' quiet. Really.

After the first week of “culling”, everything becomes uncluttered and all the distractions go away. Like in I Legend (the Will Smith movie). Like in part one of The Stand (the Stephen King movie… part 2 was idiotic). I mean it in as much a psychological as a physical sense. It's why I also like watching nature documentaries. S'why my comics are like that too.

And episode 6 didn't give you that impression at all?
I guess I have a relatively high threshold. One obligatory bath episode goes under my radar.

I actually liked the nurse acting all seductress-like. At least that's a facet of adult intelligence; it meant that she wasn't acting like a retard.

I kinda like this classic zombie genre and am hoping that they end up doing it right.
Well in episode 8, they suddenly de-powered the characters who were really in danger of power creep last episode, dispatching zombies without breaking a sweat. So that's good.

Oh, and zombie world rules seem to still apply: Machinery will fail at the most inopportune moment. And all ammunition will be coated in soap so as to slip out of your fingers as you try to reload your gun.

Seriously I want to see the soap rule apply to Resident Evil games, and hear the collective bitching of power gamers.

Product Placement at 7:45PM, Aug. 23, 2010
(online)
So episode 8 is out? I guess I know what I'll be doing.

And it's good that they're depowering the team. They really were getting way too good at zombie slaying. I only need to think about that fight scene on the bridge.

However, if they're suddenly becoming incompetent, then that's running the risk of being inconsistent. How come they can clear down a street, half naked with minimal effort and suddenly suck the next day? I guess I'll find out when I check out the next episode.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
mlai at 6:21AM, Aug. 24, 2010
(online)
Check it out. The Love Hina housemates.

LOL I wonder if the Japanese have their own version of TVtropes.

Still, I look forward to the characters developing a personality of their own, in the future. For example, those disturbingly psychotic smirks Saeko Busujima rewards herself with, whenever she gets to set herself loose upon those hapless zombies.

Product Placement at 7:12AM, Aug. 24, 2010
(online)
mlai
Check it out. The Love Hina housemates.
So… is High school of the dead is an indirect sequel of Love Hina or something? Cause that's what that picture is telling me.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Pigeon_Star at 8:09PM, Aug. 27, 2010
(offline)
Buh, it might be because I'm a straight woman or whatever, but High School of the Dead was such a turn off for me (haters gonna hate *shrugs*).

I will admit, the first episode was pretty boss and definitely put you in the story, but after that, it was just a boobfest. I seriously think they overdid it with the fanservice all the more making the story not so serious. Plus the situations those kids land themselves in is not realistic at all (bah, then again it's anime…nothing's realistic…*facepalm*).

I read further into the manga where the episodes stopped and there's when I just stopped. It kinda drags after a while with unnecessary scenes of moe and boobs. Urgh. This is the first time I'll say though, I'd prefer the anime over the manga, simply because the anime makes it seems much more dramatic. Beyond that this show is probably just gonna be for those that want tits and gore…:\

(lol people are gonna hate me, I seem to be the only one that doesn't like this show…oh well…)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
mlai at 3:20AM, Aug. 28, 2010
(online)
Pigeon_Star
Buh, it might be because I'm a straight woman or whatever, but High School of the Dead was such a turn off for me
I wouldn't like this show either if it consisted of 2 girls and then 5 guys who wear speedos instead of pants, and shove their crotch into the camera every other scene.

The story seems to be going somewhere. Not that I care, because I love the classic zombie apocalypse genre. So they can be forever just wandering and surviving, and I'll still tune in. Actually that's basically the point of the genre.

ozoneocean at 4:37AM, Aug. 28, 2010
(online)
Pigeon_Star
bah, then again it's anime…nothing's realistic…*facepalm*.
lol. Yeah, the whole zombie genre is unrealistic anyway. With the zombies in this cartoon, they're only attracted to movement and sound and can't open doors or get over walls so everyone would always be 100% safe. All you'd have to do would be to set a few simple mass traps (hole in the ground, machine-gun killing field, combine harvester etc.) with sound systems running and watch your streets clear out overnight.

Anyway, the scene in 7 with the farther being stabbed and the blood from his would spreading UP his shirt as he stood there… O_o
It's not just the tits that defy Newton's laws in this show.

But then it's the aforesaid boobs that make it watchable ^_^

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
Pigeon_Star at 1:25AM, Aug. 29, 2010
(offline)
mlai
Pigeon_Star
Buh, it might be because I'm a straight woman or whatever, but High School of the Dead was such a turn off for me
I wouldn't like this show either if it consisted of 2 girls and then 5 guys who wear speedos instead of pants, and shove their crotch into the camera every other scene.

The story seems to be going somewhere. Not that I care, because I love the classic zombie apocalypse genre. So they can be forever just wandering and surviving, and I'll still tune in. Actually that's basically the point of the genre.

Feh, nekkid yaoi boys would be a turn off for me too. (haha, yeah, yaoi for me was soooo high school…lolol)

@ozoneocean: Yeah, I found it weird that these zombies were pretty much…harmless. Of course, I'm sure that gives the girl characters the initiative to “jump” into action with their giant melons and kick ass or whatever. lolol Oh, and apparently immense blood spillage doesn't affect them at all either (it'd be awesome to see a girl get infected simply because she flashed her underwear too much that the blood seeped in BAHAHAHAHA stupid girl, wear some fuckin' pants. )
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:43PM
mlai at 8:39AM, Aug. 29, 2010
(online)
I just realized that the freerunners (parkour) of the world would be the last people on earth, in this zombie apocalypse.

Eps.9 Edit: Okay… what the F–K was that. You know what I'm talking about. Episode 9, in the temple courtyard, when Takashi was giving Saeko the motivational speech. Just what. The. F–k.

I'm very tolerant of fanservice, and this is just, beyond. I find no connection and/or relevance between what he's saying and what he's doing. You want to be forceful, you can grab her shoulders and exclaim “Look at me!” Hell you can even slap her in order to snap her to attention. It'd be chauvinistic but at least it would make sense.

blindsk at 6:35PM, Aug. 31, 2010
(online)
Nice catch on this series. I'm a little picky when it comes to anime, but this series is nothing short of awesome so far.

Unfortunately I'm not as far as everyone else is yet (Episode 9?), but one thing I've been wondering about that's been bothering me: how do Japanese deal with censorship? I've heard a few things - the animators have to censor themselves so that media networks will easily accept them. And then sometimes the networks will add even more censoring to that. So I guess if we wanted to see this fully uncensored, we'd have to wait for a DVD release!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved