Media Megaforum

Hitchhiker's Guide
KomradeDave at 9:41PM, Feb. 7, 2007
(online)
I recently got the TV episodes on a handy dvd and I had forgotten how great they were (I haven't seen them since I was around 9). Did anyone else prefer these to the recent feature, despite the poor FX. It's entertaining and fun now that I watch it again, rather than the letdown most entertainment from my childhood ends up being.
Handshakes and mustaches are the only ways to know how much you can truly trust a man.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
silentkitty at 9:58PM, Feb. 7, 2007
(offline)
I actually have not seen much of the old TV series, but I wasn't fond of the new movie at all, and not just because it didn't really follow the story from the books. I can't really describe what I didn't like about it. It was just sort of.. missing the charm that the original story had and a lot of the jokes seemed to fall flat. I'd say “maybe my sense of humor is changing”, but I read through the books again recently and still found them funny, so I guess it's not that. =p

I've only seen an episode or two of the TV series, but from what I remember about it, I did enjoy it more than the movie.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:37PM
Tundra at 10:21PM, Feb. 7, 2007
(offline)
Oh I love the miniseries! it's a pity that they never did more than they did though.
http://www.notebookinhand.com Forum for artists, writers, and other creative types.
http://www.drunkduck.com/Notebook
http://www.notnegativenews.com Get positive news here! Improve your day. Share your links.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
ozoneocean at 11:33PM, Feb. 7, 2007
(online)
I listened to the original radio show again the other day… Well what they adapted of it for the recorded version anyway. It's good ^_^
The books are more coherent… But the radio show is so fresh somehow even after all these years. The TV version was great, I loved how it had almost all the radio actors in it reprising their roles, that was cool! -with the notable exceptions of Trillian and Ford, who's replacements were just as good anyway. Oh, and the guy who did Marvin too… He did most of the rest of the voices in the radio show, of course they were all played by different actors for TV.

-Mostly harmless is and will always be a shitty book-

I want to see the movie when I get around to it anyway… All the versions were so different that I wouldn't be too worried now about a little change or two. Plus, Trillian's movie outfit looks funky. :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:25PM
spambot at 10:06AM, Feb. 8, 2007
(offline)
I’m a huge Douglas Adams fan, and H2G2 is pretty much the pinnacle of all awesomeness.
If you can get past the low budget-ness of the show, it is a pretty faithful adaptation. I would recommend the radio dramas to anyone who likes things that are creative and funny. Not only are the originals golden, but they did adaptations of the rest of the series not too many years ago, which are available on CD, and they even got Simon Jones back as Arthur Dent. Classy.

I'm also doing that other comic "Space Waffles".
We now have a podcast called The Random Pirate Comics Show!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
Crazy Dutchman at 8:16AM, Feb. 9, 2007
(offline)
Those books are the best. Even better than the original radio series!

I followed the whole TV series when there were reruns a time ago and I loved that too! Just incredibly funny :D
And then the movie…. I loooved it! Suprised by that? I'm in fact suprised that so many people DISliked it. It may even become one of my favorite movies ever. It funny, funny as hell, and tough it misses loads of stuff from the first book and they've blended the story quite a bit it was still very well written. Also it looks amazing, they did a great job on the special effects. In my book this is already a cult-classic. I mean, what other movie would have this kind of intro? And that whole ‘zooming out’ with all of those frame-stills (including that repeatidly tension-building music XD)? And a stop motion part fully made out of wool!

Still the movie can't beat the books. Mostly because the books have a better story, is more subtile and the events make actual sense, or it at least makes you believe it does.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
ProfessorF at 7:18AM, Feb. 10, 2007
(offline)
Crazy Dutchman
And then the movie…. I loooved it! Suprised by that? I'm in fact suprised that so many people DISliked it.

I couldn't agree more!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
Mega Josh at 11:25AM, Feb. 10, 2007
(offline)
ProfessorF
Crazy Dutchman
And then the movie…. I loooved it! Suprised by that? I'm in fact suprised that so many people DISliked it.

I couldn't agree more!
I too liked the movie. I just liked the books more.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:58PM
Tundra at 6:38PM, Feb. 10, 2007
(offline)
^ yep that's my deal too. That though the movie is good, the books and radio series are way better, and I loved the miniseries even though it was so low budget.

And what sort of bothers me is that a whole bunch of people saw the movie, and because it's now a movie, they'll never bother to read the books or listen to the radio series (or watch the miniseries) because they'll think it's the same… when it's really not. And they'll be missing out.
http://www.notebookinhand.com Forum for artists, writers, and other creative types.
http://www.drunkduck.com/Notebook
http://www.notnegativenews.com Get positive news here! Improve your day. Share your links.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
Raffaele_Ienco at 12:41PM, April 16, 2007
(online)
The movie was horrible!
Absolutely horrible!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:59PM
jalford at 2:08PM, April 16, 2007
(online)
I'm a huge HH fan, have been since the first radio series from the 70s. I thought the movie was really good. Not perfect in alot of ways, but it could have been ALOT worse. Most people think that Disney just bastardized this story for the movie, but don't know that Douglas Adams himself wrote that screenplay for it, and about 90% of what was shown from the movie is what Adams had in mind for it.

If you're interested in the original radio plays, there's the first one which covered most of the first two books, and then they did 3 more series recently for the last 3 HH books.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
zirnitra at 2:00PM, April 17, 2007
(offline)
I recently got into the HHG books. I read the first two and am on Life, The Universe and Everything. Honestly, I don't think this one is NEARLY as good as the first two.
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
magnus911 at 8:11PM, April 17, 2007
(offline)
I actually got into the books after seeing the movie, strangely :P
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
zirnitra at 12:48PM, April 18, 2007
(offline)
magnus911
I actually got into the books after seeing the movie, strangely :P

heh, same here =D
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM

Forgot Password