Debate and Discussion

Home - A documentary that's demanding that we change our ways...
Product Placement at 1:00PM, June 5, 2009
(online)
So I was watching this lovely documentary that's being promoted on Youtube today and felt like starting a discussion about it. If you haven't heard of it, then I think it's appropriate that our internet born professor, who has a PhD in useless information, does the explaining.
Professor Wikipedia
Home is a 2009 documentary by Yann Arthus-Bertrand. The film is entirely composed of aerial shots of various places around Earth. It shows the diversity of life on Earth and how humanity is threatening the ecological balance of the planet. The movie was released simultaneously on June 5th in cinemas all over the world, on DVD and on YouTube. Released on the same date in 50 countries is a world record for any film release in history. The film is 100% free, and no profits will be made from its release or future showings.
You're free to watch the documentary on this link provide. It's about hour and a half long so do so when you have the time for it.
http://www.youtube.com/homeproject

I want to dedicate this discussion to this documentary. Here's a list of question to think about:

What is your opinion on this documentary? Do you agree with it's message? Disagree? Are we doomed to destroy ourselves as the world becomes increasingly inhospitable thanks to our reckless ways of living or is this just some paranoid conspiracy rambling? What do you think needs to be done? Can we as a consumer affect the way that the corporate world works? Did this documentary wake you up to what's going on or is it just yesterdays news? Do you know of some clever innovation that's people are working on that could help the world become a cleaner place that you wish to share or are some of these new green technology just as bad as the old one?

Anyways, my two cents:
For anyone who loved the BBC Planet Earth series, you're going to love this movie. As the nice lady continues on telling us how we as humans have been naughty and inconsiderate to mother Earth, the scenery that we're shown is sometimes breathtaking. Personally, nothing I heard was something I hadn't heard before. At times it made me feel guilty because I have been complaining about being unemployed for a long time and thus being forced to live of unemployment benefits while several billion people are forced to starve and slave themselves for crumbs and drops.

For a long time, I've been appalled by the way cattle and other livestock is raised in some industrialized worlds who's names will not be mentioned. I really wish people would cut down on meat consumption so that we could move over to more organic methods of livestock raising.

There's one type of technology that's not mentioned in this movie. Technology that's being experimented with around where I live. As of now, small factories are being produced next to aluminum smelters that are responsible for most of our CO2 release. The aim is to hook them up with the exhaust fumes and transform it into Methanol fuel for cars. If it's successful it will drastically decrease our CO2 release and cut our dependency on foreign bought oil which is a good thing. Eventually it could mean that we end up with surplus that we can sell out to neighboring countries. Of course I understand that once the Methanol is burned in cars, it will produce the pollution that we initially prevented from being released from those plants in the first place but it's a clever way to decrease our oil consumption by using pollution that we were gonna spill into the air anyways.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
Aurora Moon at 12:47AM, June 6, 2009
(offline)
overall, I think in some places of the earth people who live in cities and the like has sufficiently balanced between living their typical urban lifestyles and keeping earth healthy. for instance– they don't keep on bulldozing all the trees and the like just to build condos. they know how to moderate things like that, so that it doesn't go out of control.

but of course there's places like Brazil, where one of the biggest cities in the world is at, is literally growing outwards in terms of 8 miles a year as the population grows. as an result the nearby rainforset and the animal residents are often threatened by this urban growth.

this has lead to some new plants only previously discovered being endangered.those are the same plants that is said to have the possibility of curing cancer and stuff due to it's healing properties.
now of course some scientists cannot use this plant, because of it's endangered status.

and I know what you mean about the livestock. I've felt that way before.. that's why I tend to buy only organic or free-roam animal stuff from farmer's markets. the nice thing about farmer markets is that you can usually find out where your food comes from, and how they've been raised personally. plus, it's cheaper at markets usually!

and that new technology sounds interesting…
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
ozoneocean at 6:22AM, June 7, 2009
(online)
Unfortunately I haven't seen the film yet. I'll do so eventually, but towards the end of the month since my ISP plan has a usage cap and I don't want to go over that too soon. :(
Product Placement
There's one type of technology that's not mentioned in this technology that's being experimented with around where I live. As of now, small factories are being produced next to aluminum smelters that are responsible for most of our CO2 release.
This surprises me. You live in Iceland right? one of the most volcanically active places on the earth, and yet the aluminium smelters still use electricity generated by fossil fuels? O_o WTF??!!!
Geothermal energy isn't experimental, it's not some fringe thing that people talk about and don't use. It's been around forEVER, and it's easiest to use when you don't have to drill down to far to access hotter water.

I must be very ignorant of something amazingly obvious here (quite possible since I often am), because I don't get why Iceland would ever have to worry about CO2 emissions at all, ever.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Product Placement at 11:54AM, June 7, 2009
(online)
The smelters in Iceland are indeed powered by a combination of Geothermal and Hydroelectric energy. However the process of extracting Aluminum from Bauxite ore creates allot of CO2. For the moment it's our major contributor to pollution in my country. This idea of using waste fumes to create fuel for cars was a brilliant “two birds with one stone” approach to trim down our CO2 release while at the same time save us (and potentially make us) some money.

As I stated, these “convert exhaust fumes into fuel” factories are being erected next to the smelters themselves. If we were using coal plants to power them, I figure it would make more sense to build those factories next to them instead. ;)
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
ozoneocean at 12:42AM, June 8, 2009
(online)
Ok, I stand corrected, in that carbon is involved in the electrolysis process. :)
————————
I remember when this survey by Greenpeace came out rating computer companies in terms of “greeness”, pretty recently too. Apple came out way bellow Dell and Microsoft. It was reported on the
big Apple magazine news sites. All these Mac fanatics were disclaiming Greenpeace as if it was Satan, Osama Bin Laden, George W Bush Jnr, and Hitler combined lol!
Seriously, they were. That's how stupid these guys were…

They had this idea that since Apple had done this big “green” advertising campaign and started reducing packaging that it magically meant they they were “Green”. That's the trouble with the enviro thing, companies with a lot of public sway just need to make a song and dance and people believe it as if they've actually done the real thing and not just faked it…

Anyway, the point is that they'd put even MORE work into producing aluminium casings for their products in a really intensive way, milling from blocks for goodness sake. And these fanatics couldn't see the logic that such materials and processes increase CO2 production massively…
A casing made entirely from plastic produces less CO2 since you don't make as much CO2 when you produce the plastic, plus carbon is LOCKED in the plastic and it's lighter to transport and harder to damage so causes less CO2 to be emited during shipping.

Hawk at 9:21AM, June 8, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
They had this idea that since Apple had done this big “green” advertising campaign and started reducing packaging that it magically meant they they were “Green”. That's the trouble with the enviro thing, companies with a lot of public sway just need to make a song and dance and people believe it as if they've actually done the real thing and not just faked it…

I guess it caught me off guard too… Apple puts out such a slick, clean image that you kind of expect them to be environment-friendly. It's funny how much of your perception can be affected by marketing and design.

Microsoft has a greedy capitalist persona, so you'd expect them to be less earth-friendly. Then again, they're mostly making software.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
ozoneocean at 9:39AM, June 8, 2009
(online)
Hawk
I guess it caught me off guard too… Apple puts out such a slick, clean image that you kind of expect them to be environment-friendly. It's funny how much of your perception can be affected by marketing and design.
Exactly.

And here's a great article about plastics VS Aluminium usage (for drinks, but the principle is the same) and the resulting CO2 emissions.
—–
edit.
Shiz. Looks like I forgot the link -_-

Sticky Sheets at 6:39AM, Aug. 9, 2009
(offline)
Guh, I had bad feelings when they put out those green ads for mac.

No company puts out green ads without an angle.

Mac, I love you so, but you are killing my planet.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:58PM
Product Placement at 11:57AM, Aug. 9, 2009
(online)
Since this was brought back up…

If memory serves me right, aluminum recycling is among the few profitable recycling businesses since it's much cheaper to reuse old aluminum then it is to smelt new one. Also, it pollutes much less. The trouble is to get people to return in their aluminum. Some places offer small cash incentives for every aluminum can you bring to the recycling plants and it's proven to be quite effective where I live. I read that if people in America would be as efficient in recycling aluminum as they are here, the industry would actually need to close down several smelting plants.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
ozoneocean at 1:46AM, Aug. 10, 2009
(online)
Might be so, but in the article I originally thought I linked to, their study had shown that even with recycling, the production and use of aluminium had a larger environmental impact than plastic. -this was in a situation where there was a direct comparison: beverage containers.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved