Debate and Discussion

Homosexuality 'cure and research'
freefall_drift at 11:15AM, Oct. 27, 2007
(online)
Aurora Moon
What next? We cure everyone so that we all become exactly the same with no differing beliefs/feelings, etc. That's Free will being stolen away from us.
A study went by recently that said that Conservatives have different brains than Liberals.
http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2007/09/20/liberal-conservative-brain-differences/
So once they cure the homosexuals they can cure those pesky liberals who keep questioning the establishment.
Freefall Drift - A sci fi space opera of a starship's mission of stopping the Endless Kings.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Poke Alster at 10:15AM, Oct. 29, 2007
(offline)
Being a homosexual is all part of life so why find a cure for it?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
uncleK at 8:32PM, Nov. 3, 2007
(offline)
I really hope I'm not ignored just because I'm new here, but I have some things I want to point out.

I grew up with a bisexual father, homosexual neighbors, and I just had a room mate who was gay. None of them would willingly change, because that's the way they thought, and that's the way they lived. If I recall, all of them were happy.
What you are all thinking is from the point of straight people, even if you truly are gay. You keep arguing that its wrong to change the way they think, or how they should be altered and stuff. Have you ever tried seeing this issue as someone homosexual? Why should all these people who are straight by perfect? It's the same issue with African Americans. They are different than the majority. Therefore they were prosecuted. Gay people are wired different. It doesn't matter if it's genetic or mental or anything. It matters about the ethics involved. Homosexuals sometimes wish to cure straight people too. I know of countless times my room mate tried to get me to be gay with him. It shouldn't be a cure to convert gay people no more than straight people. Maybe straight people should be cured because the majority constantly is wrong?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
ScottMon at 11:24PM, Nov. 3, 2007
(online)
All sorts of efforts have been made to “cure” gay people. The techniques employed were mostly barbariac and left physical and emotional scars.

One experiment involved inserting electrodes in the brains of volunteering gay men. They would be exposed to pictures of women in various states of undress and the electrodes would trigger the pleasure centers of the brain. The results were at best temporary.

There are deprogrammers and clergymen who work programs to treat homosexuality.

As a libertarian lefty, I would never brook this treatment of people, even if they were a hypocritical republican senator!

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
freefall_drift at 12:40PM, Nov. 4, 2007
(online)
uncleK
I grew up with a bisexual father, homosexual neighbors, and I just had a room mate who was gay. None of them would willingly change, because that's the way they thought, and that's the way they lived. If I recall, all of them were happy.
I'm gay too. I'm happy with being gay. However, I've said this before in various ways, but when the scientists find out what causes gayness and how to prevent or change it, that will be sad. The people who are gay are fine, but if you ask their parents if they wanted to change their kids at the point of birth, to make them straight, I think a lot of them would.
Freefall Drift - A sci fi space opera of a starship's mission of stopping the Endless Kings.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Aurora Moon at 1:57PM, Nov. 4, 2007
(offline)
freefall_drift
uncleK
I'm gay too. I'm happy with being gay. However, I've said this before in various ways, but when the scientists find out what causes gayness and how to prevent or change it, that will be sad. The people who are gay are fine, but if you ask their parents if they wanted to change their kids at the point of birth, to make them straight, I think a lot of them would.

Just like how they might go for things that could dermine the outcome of their children being more likely to become successful people such as being an doctor, etc.

Like that whole Left-hand thing fiasco… did you know that many parents actually forced a lot of their children to become right-handed because of many bullcrap studies about right-handed people being more prone to success, etc. And also the fact that the majority of people are righthanded, rather than left-handed.
And of course the parents didn't want their poor left-handed children to be left out, so they'd pretty much resort to methods of making their children right-handed instead.

I actually had a few teachers who tried to force me to write and draw with my right hand… *rolls eyes*

What is it with people wanting all people, espeically children, to confirm with the majority even though being different isn't so bad?

It's a sad fact of life, that many parents often want their children to be a certain way if they feel that it would bring their children more success and happiness in life. Which of course is a setiment that's not bad at all, but as you know there's that saying that goes: “Even the most well-meant intentions can pave the path to hell.”
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
bobhhh at 3:25PM, Nov. 4, 2007
(offline)
Aurora Moon
Like that whole Left-hand thing fiasco… did you know that many parents actually forced a lot of their children to become right-handed because of many bullcrap studies about right-handed people being more prone to success, etc. And also the fact that the majority of people are righthanded, rather than left-handed.
And of course the parents didn't want their poor left-handed children to be left out, so they'd pretty much resort to methods of making their children right-handed instead.

I actually had a few teachers who tried to force me to write and draw with my right hand… *rolls eyes*

Yep that was me too. I failed penmanship miserably, back in the day when that still mattered, and doctors have told me it excaerbated my dyslexia.
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
Aurora Moon at 3:41PM, Nov. 4, 2007
(offline)
lol. I've been told I had dyslexia along with a number of other “problems” that had to do with my learning. Just because I couldn't write or draw well on my right hand as I could do on my left hand…and therefore stubbornly preffered my left hand over my right hand, no matter what.

of course that wound up to be false. as seeing more doctors who didn't believe in that whole hand thing just found out that I didn't have dyslexia at all.
Don't know in your case though… but you don't seem like the sort to have Dyslexia at all.

And of course now such a belief is now “outdated” as seeing it's been proved to be invaild. But the sad thing is, a lot of people still believe in that sort of thing…

Just like how some people actually still believe homosexuality to be a mental illness thanks to studies from the 70's. but now the majority of Mordern doctors have proven the studies from the 70's to be invaild.

Kinda makes you realize how some people just don't keep up on the times, huh?
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
uncleK at 5:47PM, Nov. 4, 2007
(offline)
And how science is only true until the next study is absolutely true also?

I suppose if being gay is forced into complete taboo eventually, a lot of the homosexual community will just hide their true personality and try to appear converted or something.
But they wouldn't be truly happy, and life would be pointless.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
Poke Alster at 10:54AM, Nov. 9, 2007
(offline)
uncleK
I really hope I'm not ignored just because I'm new here, but I have some things I want to point out.

What you are all thinking is from the point of straight people, even if you truly are gay. You keep arguing that its wrong to change the way they think, or how they should be altered and stuff. Have you ever tried seeing this issue as someone homosexual? Why should all these people who are straight by perfect? It's the same issue with African Americans. They are different than the majority. Therefore they were prosecuted. Gay people are wired different. It doesn't matter if it's genetic or mental or anything. It matters about the ethics involved. Homosexuals sometimes wish to cure straight people too. I know of countless times my room mate tried to get me to be gay with him. It shouldn't be a cure to convert gay people no more than straight people. Maybe straight people should be cured because the majority constantly is wrong?

Oh i totally understand what you are talking about we cant judge someone the wrong way just because of thier sexuality
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved