Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Horizontal Scrolling
lefarce at 9:12AM, Oct. 28, 2010
(online)
not sure if this is the right section, but hopefully it is.

I'm trying to code a site, but ever since I started this semester I've begun to fall out of touch with what coding knowledge I had. What I'm trying to accomplish is changing the entire scrolling function of a webpage from being vertical to scrolling horizontal, in order to host a new comic that will make it easier to read from left to right.
]
Basically I'm looking for something that functions exactly like (or close enough) this: http://www.benekdesign.com/

This site uses java to alter the scroll function, but I'm trying to see if there is an easier way. I'm not looking for anything super fancy, just the ability to horizontally display images from left to right. if anyone has any idea how to accomplish this, please reply to send me a PM. I've already tarded around google but couldn't find much.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
skoolmunkee at 12:31PM, Oct. 28, 2010
(online)
Well, browsers will automatically scroll if the page content forces them to. I'm not sure how smart browsers are nowadays, but I'm pretty sure the most ghetto way to try something like that out would be to introduce an image as a page element (not a background) which is long enough for what you need. If you make an image that is 1 pixel tall by 4000 wide or whatever, hopefully that scrollbar will show up. However if someone has images turned off or something, that won't work for them…
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
lefarce at 8:56AM, Nov. 4, 2010
(online)
I figured it out. Using java and css I was able to force the scrolling to horizontal without resorting to a static page width. Runs pretty well too with all the content added in as divs that contain themselves in separate posts, running from left to right instead of stacking.

If anybody would like to do this PQ me and I'll be more than happy to send the java or css files I used.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved