Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

how did/do you come up with a name for your comic?
Kristen Gudsnuk at 1:04PM, April 8, 2007
(online)
I suck at naming things… (usually my poems are titled stuff like “poem!!” or “poem ;_; ” or whatever…)
and I wanna come up with a cool name for the part of my comic I'm doing now because I'm gonna print it out and sell it when I'm done, BUT, if I title it Misfit Assassins it'll be quite the misnomer because this part in particular is really not about assassins.
SO!~ Anyone have some sort of cool formula for figuring out a name? (or… you know… wanna come up with a name for me?)
or just give me one of those lovely rambly anecdotes about how you decided on your comic's name.
meh, this thread probably already exists, doesn't it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
ozoneocean at 1:49PM, April 8, 2007
(online)
Naming is very important. Back when I was an art student I realised how offensive and rude it was not to give my artworks a title.
-not deliberately rude of course, as an artist you don't really think that way! You just don't want to name it because you either can't think of anything or don't want to limit your work, but that's NOT how your intended viewers see things. So I became good at naming things. Names are VERY important; More than most people ever realise. ;)

As for my comic… Well, it was all about the main character. It's ALL about her! Her defining feature. The comic was created for her. So that's why “Pinky”. The “TA” part comes from her ear plates. That came in originally because I loved the Rolling Stones song “She's my little Rock'n roll” -“she's my little rock'n roll, T and A with Soul honey, she's my little rock'n roll!”. But it WASn't about “Tits” and “Arse”, I just like the song and the letters, T & A.
When Pinky evolved out of a painting project at university though, one very shallow and STUPID lecturer commented “ugh, your work is all and boobs and bottoms”, so I put the T&A thing on her ear plates because I liked the letters and as a mocking dig at that lecturer: If she thinks that's what the work is about, then I'll give her a nice big obvious label to prove her “right”.

She was so stupid though that she didn't even get what the letter meant on the most obvious level…

I Added the TA to the title for various reasons: To continue the joke, because I like the letters, to make my Pinky stand out apart from ALL the other Pinky's out there, and to be slightly ambiguous; what does TA mean? Tits and Arse? Tactical Attack? Territorial Ambition? Terrific Art? lol! I love it!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 1:58PM, April 8, 2007
(online)
ooh interesting… heh I never would have guessed that TA could have stood for “tits and arse”… hehehe
I think it stands for totally awesome?!!!
or maybe totalitarian argyle.
rengori at 2:22PM, April 8, 2007
(offline)
Well, I noticed Nighthawk's Living on the Edge was named after an Aerosmith song, so I just took a quick look at my iTunes playlist, and though Guns n' Roses's “Anything Goes” would make a good name (Has no relation to the song it self. God I hope not).
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:05PM
suzi at 4:17PM, April 8, 2007
(online)
Angry. Emoticon.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 4:50PM, April 8, 2007
(online)
suzi
Angry. Emoticon.

…?
Janen at 6:01PM, April 8, 2007
(offline)
I love when the titles of poems and novels contain either foreshadowing or a deep understanding of the story. That is why I make the titles for my poems add meaning or be a metaphor themselves. For example with my comic, even though the separation and warfare of both races seems to be the most important factor in the story the title denotes that maybe that is not the true destiny of the planet, but that both races are meant to be together or embrace into one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
SomaX at 6:49PM, April 8, 2007
(offline)
It all depends on your story.

For example, many times people will name their comics or novels after the main character. I like to do something different though. See, when ever I write or do comic books, I try to create a wide variety of characters, that way every reader has someone to relate to. So I never name anything after a character, even if I have a “main character”.

So anyway, if you don't want to name it after a character then you can find titles in other places. I actually found my comic's name, MOSAIC, by accident. I was trying to think of a name for it back in August when I first started, but couldn't think of one. So I was doing homework, vocabulary (which sucks!!), and going through a dictionary. when I came across the word mosaic. It said that it was many small pieces (like glass) put together to form an image. So it seemed perfect. Several people coming together to…well I don't want to spoil the story, but you get the picture.

I'm also working on a some-what pollitical one now, and it's named after the utopia.

So yeah, it all depends on your story.

Good luck.
~*~
#253 in Comic Book/Story #344 Overall ~*~ #383 in Comic Book/Story #517 Overall
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
rainingbells at 8:09PM, April 8, 2007
(online)
“Sune” is named after the main character. Even though the cast is large, most of what happens, how people act and react, their personal goals and/or destinies, are tied to the character of Sune. Their lives seem to be all going in their own ways until they have contact with or knowledge of Sune, or some act he's committed, and then they come to a screeching halt and are redirected towards him just by his mere existence, as if he were some point of high gravity, some force of nature, drawing them towards him.

So it seemed right that the book be named after him.

“Endless Winter”…well….

“Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this son of York” - Ol' Billy Shakespeare.

As a child my mother, an English Major, as frequently as the works of Dr. Seuss and Shel Silverstein, read to me the libraries of Shakespeare and Lewis Caroll. “Hamlet” and “Jabberwocky” were probably my two favorites, but “Richard III” came rather close. I was, of course, too young to really grasp the nuances of the material. I think that, perhaps, what intrigued me was the cadence, and the way phrases twisted.

While my work is my own, I do like to give a nod here and there to the influences. “Endless Winter” itself, for instance, is in story more along the lines of classic space opera than the aforementioned “Sune”, a tip of the hat to things like “Star Wars”, “Galactica”, and “Star Trek”, along with old tragedies, and the “Hulzien Dynasty” series written by F.M. Busby.

My first online comic, “Prenna”, was named after the ancient starship that was central to the story. “Home Made”, the strips I did for “Sexy Losers” and “AG” play on the incest taboo, so that just seemed to fit.

Sometimes I sit and scrawl out names, thinking about various plots, sub-plots, and aspects of the story, making lists and then deciding on the one I like best, other times they just pop into my head almost as soon as I come up with the idea for the story itself.

If you like certain words but they seem too simple or overused, a thesaurus is a wonderful tool as well.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:00PM
suzi at 10:06PM, April 8, 2007
(online)
Kristen Gudsnuk
suzi
Angry. Emoticon.

…?

>:0

> “greater than”
: “colon”

I was frustrated that my friends were forcing me into making a webcomic. :p
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
silentkitty at 10:06PM, April 8, 2007
(offline)
Well, it's.. named after the tower that 99% of the story takes place in. It seemed dramatic and attention grabbing enough, so I just went with it.

lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:37PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 6:35AM, April 9, 2007
(online)
suzi
Kristen Gudsnuk
suzi
Angry. Emoticon.

…?

>:0

> “greater than”
: “colon”

I was frustrated that my friends were forcing me into making a webcomic. :p
yay now I get it!!! hehe that's cute!

…yeah, silentkitty, it's not too hard to figure out where you got your comic's name, lol
Mister Spook at 10:32AM, April 9, 2007
(offline)
I was being amazingly uninspired and simply went with a generic POS name that irks me to this day. FTW
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:04PM
Alexis at 1:27PM, April 9, 2007
(offline)
I tossed around a few names before I settled on one. One big thing I took into consideration was weather or not the name was already being used by anything, particularly anything that I might not want to be associated with, so II googled all possible titles to see what came up. I decided not to go with anything too literal because that might limit where I could take the comic later. The two options I came down to were Life on the Fringe, the “Fringe” referring to the fringes of society, or “Hunting Giant Squid” because I feel like that could be a metaphor for life in so many ways. That probably didn't help too much, but maybe a little.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:49AM
Priceman at 2:30PM, April 9, 2007
(online)
As far as my comic goes; the main character uses silver guns that shoot silver bullets; so Silvershot seemed pretty appropriate. Just take a main concept of the subject and try to simplifiy it as much as possible to come up with a decent name.

As for singular pieces of art, I pretty much do the same thing. Check out my DA site for some examples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
Aurora Moon at 2:53PM, April 9, 2007
(offline)
Magical Mania was my first comic ever.

before I put it online though, it was oringally called this: “Malicami-Mania!”
Because in the start all the characters were given pretty werid names… well, most of them still have unusual names. and the Main Character had this name: Cami-usa Malicami Jewell.
Now she's just called Camilla Sol-Lun Jewell.

But I knew Malicami-Mania! wouldn't really be an good name at all. I knew I would get tons of questions like “what's an Malicami?” and stuff like that.

so I dediced to go for “Magical Mania” for those reasons:

1. It's an Magical Girl Parody. So tons of Magic.
2. It does get pretty insane and random at times….

I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Darth Mongoose at 2:09AM, April 10, 2007
(online)
I had real trouble coming up with a name >__<; Still, it's too late to change it. I kinda like it anyway, just because it's a silly title.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 4:14PM, April 10, 2007
(online)
I like to keep things simple.

Heaven vs Hell is an obvious name. (although, I must admit, it's something of a misnomer)

The Adventures of Grim and Bob… yeah. obvious again.

Deus is slightly more complicated. It'll be more clear soon, when I actually reveal the existance of a certain race of almost god-like beings.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
Warspritecomic at 4:20AM, April 11, 2007
(online)
Well, I came up with the name for my comic(s) just by plainly at looking at what it's about. For example, if a comic is about a guy named Bob on a random adventure, a name that it couold be is ‘Bob’s adventures' or ‘The chronicles of Bob’.

Basically just think about what it's about, then just use the first thing that comes to your mind.

p.s I used to suck at naming things too.
FIGHTSPLOSION 5!!! IT HAS 2 ALIENS, A PIRATE, A HORNY NINJA AND A HOMOCIDAL FIRE PRODUCING PENGUIN! AND A BIRD WOMAN AND A CAT WOMAN!

Also a mute that reminds me of Johnny Bravo and Samuel L Jackson at the same time!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
kitsunesan at 6:06AM, April 11, 2007
(online)
well I am bad with names… the two comics I have now…are named like that cuz it was the inspiration of the moment….arghhh what a life..was inspired in the horrible day I had that day… and Will and Tokyo…I was thinkin will and grace XD…Will and,…. Tikyo XD…and that was it
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
aquacow at 8:54AM, April 11, 2007
(offline)
One day I unearthed an ancient sarcophagus belonging to Zumrash the Sleeper, Destroyer of men. He started to scream delightfully evil at me over and over and over. The rest is terrifying, terrifying history.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
Eunice P at 9:31AM, April 11, 2007
(offline)
“Teen Angel” is based from the same name as the cheesy American 90's sitcom. Actually, this comic is sort of a fan comic.

“I Come From Mars” is based on the common speech “Men come from Mars, women come from Venus”. Since my main alien character is a dude, I give it “I Come From Mars”. Why Martian? It was based on the idea of classic Martian attacking Earth, a common plot cliche of the American movies and cartoons of the 50's-60's.

“Vampire Overlords” has something to do with my storyline. It contains vampires and overlords.

“Call Me Miss Pikkiebum”… I don't exactly know why I give this title. Maybe it sounded cute and the main female character is named Pikkiebum, also a cute sounding name.

Great, I just realize American entertainment has influenced my choice of titles and I'm not even American.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
The mediocre one at 1:15PM, April 11, 2007
(offline)
My names are straight forward to the story, The Lost King was about a renegade prince who should have been king, blah blah, Rise of the gods was about…The rise of gods, Nerdology was dorky, adn Rpgination is…well a random throw-out-there.
Paper Mache Cataclysm
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:15PM
eyesoftheblackk at 11:27PM, April 11, 2007
(online)
my suggestion, or well what i do anyway, is make all the characters. Make the storyline, and as long as the name semi fits with it, all is good. Barely dead is named cause all the main protagonists have been, or almost have been, or are dead. And the antagonists are the same, either dead or very close at all times. But not enough to permanetnly end their existance. Basically name it close to what is going on, but cool enough so people can get their own idea of what it is about
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Ocean Ware at 7:42PM, April 12, 2007
(offline)
I had trouble naming my comic. At first I was going to name it “Barra & Kooda” to where Jiffy was named Barra. But that was only my working title and eventually it grew on me. But then I thought of all the alternatives I had. The VERY first title I gave Jiffy and Kooda was Under the Sea. But then I thought I needed a name that has the characters in it. Here's the list of names I came up with before the actual title that it is now:

Ocean Ware
Under the Sea
Ocean Mishaps
Barra & Kooda
Max & Barra
Fish World
Jiffa & Barra
Jiffa & Kooda
Jiffy & Kooda

Thats EXACTLY how the title of my comic morphed.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
Eviltwinpixie at 2:29AM, April 13, 2007
(offline)
The name Grog sort of… appeared at exactly the same time as the comic idea, all those years ago. ^_^ It was just a short, catchy sounding name, a little humourous in the sound of it. It's both associated with real pirates/sailors, and very heavily used in pirate fiction.

Also it's just a really cool word. ^_^

Names are usually hell for me, though. Most often what I seem to come up with is the name of the place/city/business etc. the comic is about. A comic I sometimes write for is called “City of Roses”, as the city it's set in “Rhoston”, is (at a bit of a linguistical stretch ;) ) an ancient form of “Rose Town”. Abandoned project titles have included “Cormorant Island” after my fictional island and “Butterfly Belle”, after a (very unique ;) ) business my characters ran. My newest abandoned-project-to-be (hey, I'm well aware of my inability to stick with things ;) ) is tentatively titled “Atlantis Paradise” after the spaceship/hotel it's set on.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
AQua_ng at 3:17AM, April 13, 2007
(online)
Song title x (Theme of comic + Main character)^Pun = Title.

I use that formula.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:56AM
Scialyte at 3:42AM, April 13, 2007
(offline)
I tried to coalesce what it was that the comic was doing into a concept, then tried to find an old-sounding word that represented it, and changed it slightly.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
wyldflowa at 7:01AM, April 13, 2007
(offline)
When thinking of a names for my comics I spend ages looking through dictionaries and thesauruses to find connotations of the words to get across the exact meaning I was intending. Say Rainbow Carousel for example; it's a name of a venue in the story around which most of the events take place. But the two words alone have desirable connotations which made the name “Rainbow Carousel” seem natural~

Rainbow: A colourful and ethereal light phenomena that appears as quickly as it's gone~ in a similar way that a fun fair can appear and disappear over a weekend. Or the way emotions and love can appear and disappear suddenly. It also has connotations to gay culture (rainbow flags and all that) which is fitting as the main romance of the story is a homosexual one.

Carousel: It's main connotations are with the fair/carnival but it's also a loose metaphor for the world and how it spins with people (the rainbow) on it. I've also played a bit on the idea that once a (fairground) ride has started you can't get on or off it as another loose metaphor that people should take chances or face being left on the sidelines.

I think kinda deeply about these things - too deeply probably. XD But if I didn't I wouldn't be satisfied~ :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:52PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 4:48PM, April 13, 2007
(online)
wyldflowa, your comic really reflects those themes you mentioned (and changing the page colors as you shifted focus to other characters also highlighted the ‘rainbow=different people’ element of your comic, too!) And it ends up really adding to the story.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved