Help, Support and Suggestions

How do I become and admin?
Walrus at 4:16PM, Jan. 23, 2008
(online)
I asked Volte6 a few days ago and haven't heard from him. So admins, I'll repeat the question for you. I wanted to know how I could become an admin, if I could sometime soon, and what are my chances of becoming an admin. Could you tell me anything I need to know to become an admin/be an admin? Thank you for your time….

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
Walrus at 5:05PM, Jan. 23, 2008
(online)
Come on admins!

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
Bocaj at 5:21PM, Jan. 23, 2008
(online)
I am about 99% sure that no new admins or mods will be made until one of the existing ones leave.

Sorry to crush your dreams…

Don't read Rape.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:31AM
Insanity at 8:12PM, Jan. 23, 2008
(offline)
I have that somewhere up that one Senator's ass… wait

AwesomeUnicorn
I feel a little bit like Hitler right now, too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:01PM
Insanity at 8:13PM, Jan. 23, 2008
(offline)
http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?tid=34507&cid=229

There you go…

It might smell a bit

AwesomeUnicorn
I feel a little bit like Hitler right now, too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:01PM
skoolmunkee at 1:26AM, Jan. 24, 2008
(online)
Geez, give us more than an hour to respond :)

Sorry to break it to you, but you (and almost everyone else on the site) has a zero chance of becoming an admin. Here's something I wrote for another thread a while ago:

To be absolutely blunt, we don't add moderators just because they ask (and I've had a few people PQing me lately to tell me that they'd like to be moderators too, so this message applies to a lot of people.) It seems too much like territory-grabbing, and the implication is that the current moderators aren't good enough or can't handle the work. There are better ways for a person to prove themselves as a forum “authority” than being a moderator. Someone doesn't have to be a moderator to be helpful or contribute positively - in fact, their being a strong community member is a requirement BEFORE they can become a mod. In every forum there are several users who show themselves to be helpful, contributive, and diplomatic - but we only need one or two mods for management issues. When the need for a new mod comes up, it's obvious to us who the new moderator should be because of the way they've stood out from the others over time.

Drunk Duck is very heavily a community-oriented site. All of our moderators are users who have been around for a year or more (in some cases since the very beginning of the site). Why? They have built up their own reputation and gotten other users to respect and trust them. They've also proved their wisdom and diplomacy when dealing with other users. We don't make people moderators who we don't know very well, so this pretty much excludes everyone who hasn't been around very long. We need to be able to trust them with the authority and functions they're being given and know that, not only are they going to be able to make useful/informative contributions to that forum, but that other users trust and respect them too. Making someone who hasn't been around very long a moderator will only generate hostility. Take all the hubub recently about the PS admins. They aren't even site admins, but the idea that these strangers COULD have any power over users or site functions makes longtime DDers upset.

So please, for everyone who has asked me if they could be a moderator, don't take my refusal personally. I don't want to alienate the old moderators, nor do I want to risk a huge mess with any other DD users. I don't doubt the helpfulness or expertise of anyone who's volunteered themselves, but in many cases I just don't know you very well (or at all really). As an admin I have to make sure that my decisions will benefit DD, and giving a virtual stranger power over other users isn't a decision that's okay with me.

As a reminder to everyone, you don't need to be a moderator to be helpful, contributive, insightful, or diplomatic. You don't need to be a mod to break up a fight or be seen as useful. Many, many people on this forum are all of these things and most of them are happy without being a mod. You don't need to have administrative authority to be a member to respect.

It isn't anything personal :) Just that, as long as the current mods and admins can get things done, there's no need for new ones.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
ozoneocean at 7:18AM, Jan. 24, 2008
(online)
heh…
I use windrows Vista and Microsoft word… I want to know how to become a company director at MS! Soon! Grr! :(

Walrus, Skool is right, there has to be a need that needs filling. Besides, being an admin or mod is a lot of responsibility. We have to know the site as best we can, all the ins and outs, tricks and bugs. We have to be good with dealing with all users, whatever the situation. We have to be able to trust and rely on each other 100%. We have to be willing to provide as much help to people as we possibly can.

If you want to be a mod or admin for a bit more respect in the forums because of the coloured box around you name… that's not what it's about and that doesn't actually happen much anyway :I
being an admin or mod here means you have to work here.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved