Help, Support and Suggestions

How do I link a domain name to my DD comic?
lastcall at 5:08PM, Oct. 12, 2009
(offline)
I'm thinking of buying a domain name so it's easier to remember for readers. What I can't figure out is how to link that new domain name to my DD website. Can anyone give me pointers on how to do this?

Also, for domain names, I'm looking at places like GoDaddy, Yahoo, Google, etc. and despite the fact that they claim it's $9 to $10 a year, with all the fees tacked on, it really comes to about $35 to $40 a year (Yahoo doesn't even explain why it's that much. It just calls it “Recurring Domain Fees” and doesn't go into any detail as to what that incurs to make it jump from $9 to $35). …Anyone know of a safe, reliable domain name registration site that actually IS $9 a year?

Thanks for your help! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
skoolmunkee at 1:55AM, Oct. 13, 2009
(online)
I've used godaddy before and I've never had any weird fees or anything. Granted it used to be $8, but $9 ain't bad. If there are new fees since then (less than a year ago), a law must have changed somewhere or something.

I can't really advise on the domain pointing. I've not heard of anyone actually doing that with Drunk Duck, I suspect it's one of those things which people say should be easy to do but turns out to be a little more complicated than most people who use Drunk Duck are able to manage.

IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
lastcall at 4:03AM, Oct. 13, 2009
(offline)
Thanks Skool. I just registered a domain name with GoDaddy and it looks like all I have to do is forward the domain to my DD website. I thought I would need DNS information and all that technical stuff. And GoDaddy is only $10.65 a year. Not bad. ;)
SpANG at 2:32PM, Oct. 14, 2009
(online)
You could also make a framed index page on your domain.

Set the top frame to 0% and refer it to a dummy page, and set the bottom frame to refer to http://www.drunkduck.com/Last_Call/ and set the frame size at 100%.

Why would you want to do this? Because the URL on the address bar would be YOUR DOMAIN name and not the http://www.drunkduck.com/ address. ;)
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
ozoneocean at 8:30PM, Oct. 14, 2009
(online)
Godaddy has “masking” though, which is basically frame set-up that they do for you with the forwarding anyway.
It's not ideal, but it's a good solution.
What would be nicer is if we could really set top level domains through DD if we chose. I think Smack Jeeves offers that as an option now? -as a premium service.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
skoolmunkee at 12:22AM, Oct. 15, 2009
(online)
If she has her own webspace which the domain points to, she could just tell it to redirect to the DD site. I had assumed she'd just bought the domain though, and not any webspace to go with it.

Then you have other options like, do you want the urls to always display the .com and not the drunk duck, etc.

GoDaddy's service sounds like it might work fine though.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
lastcall at 4:35PM, Oct. 16, 2009
(offline)
skoolmunkee
If she has her own webspace which the domain points to, she could just tell it to redirect to the DD site. I had assumed she'd just bought the domain though, and not any webspace to go with it.

Yep that's exactly what I did, it works out great. :)

mikemacdee at 1:31AM, Oct. 20, 2009
(online)
skoolmunkee
If she has her own webspace which the domain points to, she could just tell it to redirect to the DD site.

Is the reverse possible? I want my comic to be listed among the others on Drunk Duck, but I already have an official site for the comic and I don't want to have to make a new site so soon after getting the first one up and running if I can help it. I'd prefer to move everything over to Drunk Duck when I start running low on site storage space (I assumed Drunk Duck has unlimited space, but I didn't check).

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:01PM
skoolmunkee at 2:01AM, Oct. 20, 2009
(online)
It seems like something you should be able to do, yeah. If you edit the html of your template and add a redirect line, it ought to automatically bump people over to where you're sending them (sometimes there is a short delay).

I'm not completely sure what the benefit to being listed on DD without using the site is though. I suppose people could find the comic in a search and favorite it, but unless you're adding pages, you're going to drop to the bottom of the search/sort lists and you're not going to show up on people's Favorites as having updated. (You also need at least 2 pages uploaded to show up in a search, keep that in mind.)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
mikemacdee at 4:41AM, Oct. 20, 2009
(online)
Yeah I guess that's true. I could use the Drunk Duck site as an archive until I'm ready to move everything. I'll have to change the ads.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:01PM
BlkKnight at 10:04AM, Oct. 20, 2009
(online)
You can set up a redirect. You'll lose the favorite functionality though (but make sure you have an RSS to back it up). But just make sure you make some form of update so it registers in the system.
That's “Dr. BlkKnight” to all of you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved