Help, Support and Suggestions

How Do I make an avatar for my account?
Dragonfire10503 at 4:15PM, Nov. 16, 2010
(online)
I just created an account a few days ago and i don't know how to create an avatar help?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:14PM
ozoneocean at 6:32PM, Nov. 16, 2010
(online)
Look to the right of your screen. There's a yellow box with an avi, a link to “my account”, “inbox”, “log out”, “help”…

Click on “My account” and you'll see options to putting up an avi in there.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
Dragonfire10503 at 6:53PM, Nov. 16, 2010
(online)
I Clicked on My account, but I still don't see where it shows me how to make an Avi. There really should be a manual for people like me who can't figure this stuff out.
ozoneocean at 8:13PM, Nov. 16, 2010
(online)
It's there.

Try this stickied thread (in this part of the forum) here:
http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?pid=626328&cid=229&tid=20166#626328

Dragonfire10503 at 8:13PM, Nov. 17, 2010
(online)
I did that but I don't know where to get the images to make an avatar or how to get it if its on a microsoft word document (I Use 2003 Word). I could draw one, but I don't know how to get it onto my computer help?

Look i'm clueless okay, i've never had to due this ever so help.

My Problem is once I click on browse I can't find any images. Thats my problem. I all ready knew you need to click on that. It what comes after word I need help with.
ozoneocean at 8:45PM, Nov. 17, 2010
(online)
Getting images out of MS word…?
I've no idea, sorry. Maybe you can right click it, copy it, then open Windows Paint, paint. Right click, paste in the image resize it to100x100 and save it as a jpg.

But that's probably too complicated.
The thing is, this is a comic hosting site and because of that you already need some familiarity with image editing in order to really make use to the resources here. Making and uploading an avatar shouldn't be a stumbling block and if it is then that's a good sign that you need to do a bit of researching and practise, learning what programs you'll need to use and how to use them.

I can suggest several fee image editing programs you can try:
Windows Paint, which comes standard on most versions of Windows.

This site which used Flash and works through your browser: http://pixlr.com/editor/

All these you have to download and install:

Paint.net http://www.getpaint.net

GIMP http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Open Canvas http://wistinga.online.fr/opencanvas/

and Pixia http://www.ne.jp/asahi/mighty/knight/index.html

The people in this thread know how to use them, so ask them if you have any trouble :) :
http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?tid=54699&cid=238

If you just want an avatar only, then you can download and save one that someone has already made.

I myself have a selection of my own pre-made one available on the intro page of my comic:

skoolmunkee at 1:52AM, Nov. 18, 2010
(online)
I am guessing that the image you want to use is something you found from Word's clipart, or created with their drawing tools. If you plan to make a comic that way you are going to end up doing a lot of work. You really are going to have to follow Oz's advice and choose a real image editor (not a word processing program with some image editing abilities). Get some practice with it, unfortunately you're just going to have to spend a bit of time learning some of the ropes.

For example, your avatar image must be less than 100x100 pixels, if you don't know what that means or how to change an image's size, those are two of the most basic things you will need to know for making a comic.

If you really want to use that image from Word for your avatar:

1. Open Word up so you're looking at it
2. Press the ‘Print Screen’ key (sometimes it says PRTSC, it's over by delete usually)
3. Now look in the Accessories part of your start menu and find Paint. Open that up.
4. Press ctrl-V to paste what you captured in Word onto the canvas
5. Use the select/crop tool (it's up in the menu bar) to draw a square around the bit you want to keep. In my version of paint, you use the select to make the square area, and click ‘crop’ to do the cutting. Paint won't automatically keep a square shape so you'll have to eye it.
6. Now click ‘resize’ and you'll get a box. Choose ‘pixels’ rather than ‘percent’, and type ‘100’ in one of the boxes. The other one should automatically change. Both numbers have to be 100 or below or the image will be rejected by DD.
7. If you don't like how it looks, you can ctrl-z undo to go back several steps and try again.
8. Now use ‘Save As’ to save the picture as a png or jpg, and save it to a location you like.
9. Now you can come to DD and you'll be able to find it in Browse.

Or, you can use Word's “Save As” feature to save the document as a webpage, which will spit out a bunch of files, but one of them will be the image you want. You'll still have to resize it to 100x100 or smaller before you can upload it to DD though, so you'll end up in Paint anyway.

This is actually a lot more convoluted than doing it in an image editor in the first place. It's just there's a little bit of time invested at first to learn the image editor.

However if you don't intend to make a comic or anything, and just wanted the avatar- those instructions should work for you. :]
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:44PM
Dragonfire10503 at 11:39AM, Nov. 18, 2010
(online)
Damn, need to get microsoft paint. Well i'm sure they sell it at Best Buy. Anyway I already have an avatar in mind, once I have Paint, I'll scan it into my computer.
It'll be sweet and simple.

Thanks for the help. 8D
skoolmunkee at 1:06PM, Nov. 18, 2010
(online)
If you have Windows then Paint is already on your computer! Just go to start -> programs -> Accessories and Paint should be listed. :]

Also if you are going to make comics, there are lots of free image editors out there like The GIMP, which there is a lot of help on the internet about. No need to buy anything!
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:44PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 2:02PM, Nov. 18, 2010
(offline)
Right click on an image wherever you might find an image.

Click “Save as”.

Make sure it's in folder on your computer (within “My documents” is a typical folder you'll have there.)

Go into said folder and OPEN IT.

Right click on image.

Select “Edit”

Resize as needed. (100x100)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
Product Placement at 2:47PM, Nov. 18, 2010
(online)
Dragonfire10503
Damn, need to get microsoft paint.
You should already have Microsoft Paint (MS Paint). Provided that you have a PC with windows installed in it, it would be nigh impossible that you don't have it.

The only reason why you wouldn't have MS Paint is that you don't have windows installed in your computer. I don't peg you to be a Linux user so the only other realistic possibility is that you're using a mac. Even if that is the case, you should still have a free paint program that came with your computer. And even if that isn't the case, you can access a load of free paint programs, specifically designed for a mac over here (note that these programs are designed for a mac and thus, if you have a PC and are using Windows, I don't recommend getting them).

Personally I'd recommend Paint.net. It's similar to Gimp (which you can get here) so either is good. Be warned, however. There are allot of features in these more advanced paint programs that will seem over your head at first. If you're a total greenhorn in this department, I might actually recommending getting used to MS Paint first, provided that you're a windows user.

P.S. Aren't computers fun?
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
Dragonfire10503 at 1:21PM, Nov. 19, 2010
(online)
I just checked my Microsoft Programs. I don't have Microsoft Paint installed. It wasn't part of the package. Anyway i'll go get it installed later. I'm going to be gone for the weekend so bye! B)
Product Placement at 1:08PM, Nov. 21, 2010
(online)
Dragonfire10503
I don't have Microsoft Paint installed.

Here's how to get it back. - For free, I might add.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Dragonfire10503 at 10:07AM, Nov. 25, 2010
(online)
Alright I have Paint I made An image, its not very good, but its fine 4 now. How do I resize it? THe thing keeps saying it must be under 100X100. Help
Product Placement at 7:25PM, Nov. 27, 2010
(online)
At the moment, your picture is 81x81 pixels, which is good. If you want it to be the maximum size, which is 100x100, like you mentioned, you can resize it using paint, by doing these steps:

*Open the picture that you want to use, using paint.
*Find the option labeled “resize” (you might have to pick “image” then “attributes” and “resize” from there). There you should find two choice settings; “by percentage” and “pixel”
*Pick “pixel”
*Now enter the value “100” for “horizontal” and “vertical”
*Press “OK”
*Save picture.

The picture should now be 100x100 pixels.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved