Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

How do you color comics? [on the computer]
Walrus at 2:53PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(online)
Yeah, I need to know the right/best/easiest software to color comics and a link to to the download page. I also need to know how to use the software to color the comics.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
cartoonprofessor at 5:21PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(online)
Adobe Photoshop…
Use lots of layers.
Do a short course if possible.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
lucky7s76 at 8:22AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(offline)
I agree with cartoonprofessor on this.

And in terms of using it, I made a tutorial on how I ink and color my comics… I'm not the best at tutorials, but I think it may help you out.
By the time you finish this, you'll have read it. :3

deviantART
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM
Walrus at 11:27AM, Feb. 10, 2008
(online)
Walrus
Yeah, I need to know the right/best/easiest software to color comics and a link to to the download page. I also need to know how to use the software to color the comics.

I also need a link…

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
acadia at 12:58PM, Feb. 10, 2008
(online)
OR you could just google it (don't be lazy) and find out ‘oh, it’s a 700 dollar program'.

Once you find out the price of this program that you desire, you have three choices:

1. You can shell out the money (which no one does)

2. You can pirate the software (and thus, a direct link to this ‘download page’ would be a violation of the rules of the forum – warez are not tolerated)

3. You can find an alternative. I would suggest GIMP. Put that into a google search and see what you come up with.

It's entirely acceptable to ask questions here, but demanding a service (even something so small as a link) is going a little far.

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
runningwithcoffee at 11:25AM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
While I am a huge fan of the Adobe Photoshop I do know that “The Gimp” is a cheap nd free alternative. After you use Photoshop you will miss it if you try Gimp but, if its you're first go around you'll like gimp and not really know the difference.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:12PM
Swivel at 4:12PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
Above Gimp was mentioned, and another free software alternative to Photoshop is Paint.NET. I've heard that the Gimp has better effects, but Paint.NET is more user-friendly. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
mattwandcow at 10:11PM, March 20, 2008
(online)
The Gimp Freakin Rocks. You just have to play around with it. No books or classes on it…

MS paint should be able to save images as different file types. Open your picture, go to “Save As” then under where you name your file, there should be a dropdown, probably with bmp(24)" or something. clikc the dropdown, select you pic choice (I personally like gif!) then hit save

that should do it….
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
Skullbie at 1:12AM, March 21, 2008
(online)
runningwithcoffee
While I am a huge fan of the Adobe Photoshop I do know that “The Gimp” is a cheap nd free alternative.
Gimp is great, I do all my comics in it.
Some tips for coloring in gimp:
When you open the image go to save as and save it as png-this prevents it from being screwed up in the paint process. save the FINAL product as jpeg- ideal for web uploads.

Don't be ashamed to use layers. People can use as many as 200 on a sigle pic to give it amazing depth for a low skill level.
Layers to use:
To not ruin line-art push new layer, then click ‘transparent’
Multiply setting means you can color under your line-art with out messing it up. Use it.
It's better to brush color on rather than fill it, just clean it up after.
Use the opacity setting-you can't have realistic depth without layering on multiple colors, experiment with it.

Another tip: If you do mostly color then doing greyscale will improve you art. If you do mostly greyscale doing color will improve you art. Try it and see.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:45PM
Druchii at 8:18PM, May 3, 2008
(online)
Walrus

I actually recommend using Adobe Illlustrator, which is what I do all of my computer colouring in. I very rarely use Photoshop unless I want a little extra punch to the visual. The few strips I do in colour from time to time in my strip are done this way. You can still work in layers, have transparency effects, etc, etc… AND I can utilize text easier and faster than in Photoshop.

Now, I still used photoshop to scan in and Adobe Streamline to clean it up with if I am doing colouring on it (otherwise I just place the PSD file into Illustrator).
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
cartoonprofessor at 4:17AM, May 7, 2008
(online)
If you follow this link you will see a youtube video I uploaded to show how to use photoshop to draw and colour…
hope it helps.
This link here
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
kyupol at 7:02PM, May 7, 2008
(offline)
Legal copies of photoshop are sold on ebay or craigslist.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
gigatwo at 10:26PM, May 11, 2008
(online)
Druchii
I actually recommend using Adobe Illlustrator, which is what I do all of my computer colouring in. I very rarely use Photoshop unless I want a little extra punch to the visual. The few strips I do in colour from time to time in my strip are done this way. You can still work in layers, have transparency effects, etc, etc… AND I can utilize text easier and faster than in Photoshop.

Now, I still used photoshop to scan in and Adobe Streamline to clean it up with if I am doing colouring on it (otherwise I just place the PSD file into Illustrator).
Vector work is fun, so I agree with you to a certain extent with this one. I think Inkscape is probably worth mentioning as well. It's not quite as feature rich as illustrator but it works well as a free alternative. I actually find the bezier (pen) tool in inkscape to be slightly more intuitive than that of illustrator, but the layers dialouge could use some work.

For the raster editing the GIMP is a nice program that provides everything you need for webcomic work. I'll admit it doesn't flow as well as PS, but it is entirely possible to get used to the interface. The whole “multiple windows suck” problem can be easily cured by using the “always on top” function found in most linux window managers, as well as in vista.

Paint.Net has a nice interface, but the gimp is a bit more feature-full. Once again, I'm sure it works fine with webcomics, although I can't say I'm a fan of it's curves (not the contrast kind) tool.

Krita is cool for drawing too. (not the greatest with photomanipulation though). As far as I know it's only for linux.

Some cool GIMP illustrators:
http://reynante.deviantart.com/
http://crescentdebris.deviantart.com/
http://griatch-art.deviantart.com/

Tutorials for virtually every program out there

If you plan on printing professionally, PS is definitely worth the price.(especially if you buy a used copy) The GIMP does alright in the digital realm and is probably the best bet as far as free software goes.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
spacehamster at 3:03PM, May 16, 2008
(online)
A student license for Photoshop isn't that expensive, and it's worth it. It's not the only program in the world you can use, and some people swear by others (except for the Gimp, though, those don't come cheap either), but Photoshop is the industry standard for a number of good reasons.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved