Comic Talk and General Discussion *

How do you deal with the so called "Know It All"?
Lonnehart at 11:36PM, May 18, 2011
(online)
I was playing an MMORPG once when I met a seasoned player who was insulting new players… to the effect of telling them to leave as the game was for “pros” only. I told him he was also a newbie once. His reply?

“I WAS NEVER A NEWBIE!!!”

Either he's got a very VERY high opinion of himself or he's overcompensating for something.

I'm sure it happens not only in games, but in life as well. The guy who says he knows everything. The person who says he/she's always right and you're always wrong. How do you deal with such people?

If it's obvious that they're just padding their own ego, I ignore them. Not always easy to spot someone like that, though. I tend to go with my own experience, and take his rantings into account if they make sense. Otherwise, words into one ear and out the other.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
Genejoke at 11:45PM, May 18, 2011
(online)
That's why I don't play MMORPGs.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
OnlyFoolsAndVikings at 1:10AM, May 19, 2011
(offline)
I usually hit them with hard, pointy objects.

Not really, I've got a few to deal with though in my family and amongst my friends. I usually just nod and say: “sure, whatever,” which usually stops them. Or say: “You happen to be an expert on the subject?”

That's not what everyone would do, but that's just my way. Cut 'em down harshly then go back to being friends.
of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.
EXCUSE ME WHILE I STROKE MY MOUSTACHE IN A SUGGESTIVE MANNER!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:21PM
bravo1102 at 1:22AM, May 19, 2011
(offline)
They're also called ACE's for Arm Chair Experts. They've never been there or done that. One good way is to start your rebuttal is by citing your references especially if its personal experience. But even then know-it-alls prefer their books and references to what really happens and will disagree with what was actually experienced and seen and touched.

Keep two sayings in mind:

Never debate a fool, you will only drag yourself down to their level and they will defeat you with superior experience.

Never debate a fool, they are too ignorant to know they're wrong and too stubborn to admit it.

The road to wisdom starts when you realize how little you do know and indeed how little you can know in the grand scheme of things.

Now to open the floor for our own resident know-it-alls to chime in with their own brand of foolishness. ;)

I have standing orders that if I ever act like a know-it-all for someone to take me aside and hit me hard on the back of the head to knock some sense back into it. My brain is very small and sometimes it rattles around the head.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
Genejoke at 1:58AM, May 19, 2011
(online)
Someone
The road to wisdom starts when you realize how little you do know and indeed how little you can know in the grand scheme of things.

This, it's easy to get caught up in an argument and some people specialize in them, they may not be right but they will convince you they are or offend you until you piss off.
Ozoneocean at 2:42AM, May 19, 2011
(online)
On DD the biggest Know-it-alls are Ozoneocean, Bravo1102 and Isukun. :)

Don't know if there are anymore…? We're the biggest, baddest triumvirate.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
OnlyFoolsAndVikings at 3:10AM, May 19, 2011
(offline)
I know right? That Ozone guy, pfft, he's just a bloody know-it-all sometimes.

Although I would be interseted to see an Know-it-Off between the three of you, where only one shall become victorious.
Abt_Nihil at 3:13AM, May 19, 2011
(offline)
I try to avoid discussions with know-it-alls. That's why it took me so long to muster up the courage to post in forum threads which prominently feature ozoneocean's contributions :p

ozoneocean
This is it.

People have mostly misunderstood this idea, but you get it.
(Quoted from here).

Basically, every time I read claims like this one, I have to rephrase them in a subjective form, just to be able to respond to them calmly and rationally :D

“People have mostly misunderstood this idea, but you get it.” => rephrased in Abt_Nihil's mind as “Ozoneocean rejects all other interpretations, but agrees with this one.”

I bascially have to filter all of the pseudo-objective stuff out (like: he's right! he's wrong! this is such-and-such!) and just look at the bare reasoning only. If there are any reasons left, I'll respond. If not, I'll only respond if my ego is in a good shape (and/or if I'm looking for a convenient way to waste my time) :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
theorah at 3:18AM, May 19, 2011
(online)
OnlyFoolsAndVikings
Although I would be interseted to see an Know-it-Off between the three of you, where only one shall become victorious.

haha I assume the person who would win a fight like that would be the one who's voice hasn't been lost by the end? :D

I live with a ‘know-it-all’, and I'm a bit stubborn myself so its not always a good mix, although at least I'm reasonable. I think my house mate believes he will emplode or something if he admits he's wrong 0_o

I dont mind a bit of debate/discussion, but when he gets too stubborn we all laugh it off/go look at something stupid on the internet to change the subject XD have yet to find a better way to deal with that kind of situation :P
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
Ozoneocean at 3:39AM, May 19, 2011
(online)
Abt_Nihil
I try to avoid discussions with know-it-alls. That's why it took me so long to muster up the courage to post in forum threads which prominently feature ozoneocean's contributions :p
:P

It just comes down to being very self assured, reasonably knowledgeable, having a healthy ego and a touch of arrogance. :)

——–
In a Know-it-Off between me Isukun and Bravo the winner is obvious:
Isukun every single time.

You can't beat him. You might think you can, but it's impossible, he's always lurking like an unstoppable mechanical killing robot that keeps going long after the civilisation that created it is dead. In the end there will always be Isukun.

Bravo is knowledgeable but has the least staying power. I have much less patience than I used to, so I'll just leave off now if it seems a dead end or a vicious circle. Isukun will never concede or modify his position in any way and has the patience of a Buddha.
OnlyFoolsAndVikings at 3:44AM, May 19, 2011
(offline)
I demand to see a Know-It-Off between the three of you to prove whether such a statement as “The winner will always be Isukun” is completely valid.

I've started to wonder if Stubborness or my favourite way of saying it “Stick-to-it-ness” is a cultural thing, as I know Australians as a whole are rather stubborn and “Know-it-all-ish”, and some of my international friends comment on the fact… HMMMM….
Ozoneocean at 3:52AM, May 19, 2011
(online)
OnlyFoolsAndVikings
I've started to wonder if Stubborness or my favourite way of saying it “Stick-to-it-ness” is a cultural thing, as I know Australians as a whole are rather stubborn and “Know-it-all-ish”, and some of my international friends comment on the fact… HMMMM….
I'll happily Know-it-All off with Bravo because Bravo is fun and I know I have more patience than him for too-ing and fro-ing- ie. keep it up long enough and he'll give up because he has far better things to do than argue with someone in a forum.

But not with Isukun. That's like trying to fill a bottomless pit. I concede defeat without a battle.
———–

I know what it is (hehe);
There are know it alls in every culture it's just that Aussies are usually right.
OnlyFoolsAndVikings at 3:56AM, May 19, 2011
(offline)
Someone
There are know it alls in every culture it's just that Aussies are usually right

HAHAHAHAHAHA *breathe* HAHAHAHAHHAHAAHA

YES That is the correct answer, here is a gold star.
Genejoke at 5:18AM, May 19, 2011
(online)
Someone
You can't beat him. You might think you can, but it's impossible, he's always lurking like an unstoppable mechanical killing robot that keeps going long after the civilisation that created it is dead. In the end there will always be Isukun.

Isukun certainly has staying power/stubborness. Although I tend to find Bravo is usually the one who is more often correct, or at least finds a good balance between knowing and being open to other views.
ayesinback at 5:26AM, May 19, 2011
(online)
Yeah, the line between stubborn and know-it-all gets very blurred in my family, and we've all been guilty at times.

Generally I lose patience and either smile, walk away quietly, say something obnoxious like “you're obviously in a snit right now”. But when I've got a little more energy, for some reason I find it amusing to get David-Frosty and “interview” them to see how far it goes. Several times I can actually mask the underlying snarkiness and they don't realize that we're going for a ride and I'm driving.

*sigh. I'm very immature at times* And the WORST is that sometimes I'll remember what they say, even years later, and who knows when that missile will be launched!

*really immature*
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
Ozoneocean at 5:58AM, May 19, 2011
(online)
Genejoke
Isukun certainly has staying power/stubborness. Although I tend to find Bravo is usually the one who is more often correct, or at least finds a good balance between knowing and being open to other views.
Eh, Bravo does that thing where he pretends like it's all a big joke and “you just have to laugh” or something or other and bows out… When Bravo does the “oh life is but a joke/maybe I'm just crazy” thing, you know he's had enough. That's his code.
My code is that I get very “correct” and prim… snitty. When I get to that stage it means I've reached my limit.
OnlyFoolsAndVikings
YES That is the correct answer, here is a gold star.
And the Aussies win again! :)
The Vegemite is on the house!
…all over it…
ayesinback
And the WORST is that sometimes I'll remember what they say, even years later, and who knows when that missile will be launched!
This is one of the powers woman have. It only becomes stronger with time.
Genejoke at 6:39AM, May 19, 2011
(online)
Someone

Have you ever tried it on a woman? It doesn't work. EVER.

Someone
My code is that I get very “correct” and prim… snitty. When I get to that stage it means I've reached my limit.
Yeah I noticed that. :) I suck at arguing as I can never remember details, I deal in very broad strokes. Doesn't support arguments very well.
Product Placement at 8:06AM, May 19, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean

-Feels left out-

:(
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
Ozoneocean at 8:11AM, May 19, 2011
(online)
Genejoke
Someone
Have you ever tried it on a woman? It doesn't work. EVER.
True.
But grandmothers and GREAT grandmothers have secret arsenals that could rend an entire family for up to 5 generations. o_O
Product Placement
ozoneocean

-Feels left out-

I can't say I didn't think of you PP, but you're only a stick-in-the-mud for certain specific things (eg Vikings anyone?), aside from those triggers you do actually listen to what other people say more often than not.
At least it seems that way to me.
-You're a know-it-all that you can actually have a real debate with like; will concede, will compromise etc. not just pretend to like me and the others. :3
Product Placement at 8:57AM, May 19, 2011
(online)
Be more pretentious and uncompromising. Got it.

Thanks for the tip.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
ayesinback at 9:13AM, May 19, 2011
(online)
Product Placement
ozoneocean

-Feels left out-

Oh, Product. imo, you're definitely a know-it-all, but what you do that's different is to distinguish between facts (and then cite sources) versus personal opinion. For many others, that line blurs.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
Ozoneocean at 9:41AM, May 19, 2011
(online)
Product Placement
Be more pretentious and uncompromising. Got it.
Uncompromising yes, pretentious no. If your case is propped up by pretension, you'll fail on the first reply. “Pretension” is usually just an accusation levelled BY pretentious people against others they can't beat because they can't beat them because all they have is pretension ^_^

That was a know-it-all answer.
Skullbie at 9:43AM, May 19, 2011
(online)
Abt_Nihil
ozoneocean
This is it.

People have mostly misunderstood this idea, but you get it.
(Quoted from here).

That particular comment also irked me, to be honest I thought this thread was going to about ozone, no lie.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
Ozoneocean at 10:06AM, May 19, 2011
(online)
Skullbie
That particular comment also irked me, to be honest I thought this thread was going to about ozone, no lie.
Well that thread was about a discussion that Shadowmyst had directly with me and Skool… so as she was talking to Skool and I at the time she actually said those things I sort of thought I had a pretty decent idea about what she meant. First hand and all that. ^_^
RPGgrenade at 12:08PM, May 19, 2011
(online)
I'm an extreme goddamn know-it-all when it comes to things related to liquors or mixology (yes, that's a thing). i can't stand idly by and see someone rant about dumb alcohol related myths (like how it ‘warms up your body’). I kind of HAVE to know what i'm talking about though.

As for other know-it-alls, I don't think i know any IRL.

The liquid creations of Gods passed down to man, but sometimes an object of the gods' realm can cause chaos in the mortal realm.
Read Nectar of the Gods!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:12PM
Lonnehart at 1:40PM, May 19, 2011
(online)
OnlyFoolsAndVikings
I usually hit them with hard, pointy objects.

Wait… don't you usually use hard, blunt objects?

*suddenly takes note of this girl's obsession with vikings… most of whom wield very large sharp axes, spears and blades*

Oh… right…

I'm glad to see this thread has come to life at least. Must be a lot of “know it alls” out there. I try to have patience with them, but sometimes they continue to stick to their viewpoint… even if you dump evidence right in front of them that disproves it. So… in one ear and out the other. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
OnlyFoolsAndVikings at 3:57PM, May 19, 2011
(offline)
Someone
Wait… don't you usually use hard, blunt objects?

Blunt objects are nearly as fun as point ones. And blunt ones tend to be too heavy for me to weild.

—–

Unforunately Ozone, I cannot partake in the free Vegemite you're offering…

because…

I think it tastes like Hairy old Man.

——

I'm a bit of a know-it-all when it comes to certain subjects that I really enjoy or know about, like Norse Mythology, Greek Mythology, Egyptian Mythology, Native Title Law, and art… But sometimes I'm really stubborn and am like: “WELL I KNOW THE ANSWER AND YOU DON'T.”

And someone will display material that blows my argument out the window, I'll look at it critically and say: “YOU CAN'T TRUST SUCH RUBBISH PRINTED IN BOOKS/ON THE WEB/FROM THE TEAHCHER MOUTH!”

Then I look silly. But I'm getting better at it, but if you want a Know-It-All, you should meet my brother. Doesn't budge on any subject, happens to be an expert on all things and is often very rude about it. He's like if Ozone, Bravo and Isukun had a baby.
kyupol at 6:32PM, May 19, 2011
(online)
heh. I knew a girl one time who was a “know-it-all”. You know how I short-circuited her mind?

I just played along like a “man-slave”. I kept addressing her as “ma'am” or “miss” or “goddess” and literally bowing before her or something. I even went as far as offering to lick her shoes in public so everyone will know who is the goddess or something…

That or saying something to the effect of like that annoying villain sidekick who keeps on saying “yes boss, you're correct!!!”

Drove her crazy. lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
Ochitsukanai at 8:09PM, May 19, 2011
(online)
OnlyFoolsAndVikings
He's like if Ozone, Bravo and Isukun had a baby.
“Eheheh, that sounds hilarious, I wonder what it would look li-”

"aaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Always, I wanna be with mew, and make believe with mew
and live in harmony harmony oh nyan
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
rokulily at 8:16PM, May 19, 2011
(online)
kyupol
heh. I knew a girl one time who was a “know-it-all”. You know how I short-circuited her mind?

I just played along like a “man-slave”. I kept addressing her as “ma'am” or “miss” or “goddess” and literally bowing before her or something. I even went as far as offering to lick her shoes in public so everyone will know who is the goddess or something…

That or saying something to the effect of like that annoying villain sidekick who keeps on saying “yes boss, you're correct!!!”

Drove her crazy. lol!

sounds like something a know it all would say… youre in the right thread i guess.

also sounds kinda creepy. because it is.

—-
oz stop giving him ideas. productplacement none of that! none of that! ignore the man behind that curtain!

—-
OCHI! WHAT HAVE YOU UNLEASHED?!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon