Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

How do you guys keep updating?
SpoonsREvil at 8:30PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
Hey yeah I've been working on my comic for a long while now but i never update it I always seem to avoid scanning my comic and getting it finished up. i just want to know how do you guys get through this phase and any other tips on updating on time and to get epic page views

Thanks,

Dave
In Soviet Korea, Cat eats you =O
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
lba at 8:46PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
I just made it a habitual thing for me. I update every day. It also helps that I love doing it. You just have to sit down and do it. There really isn't any other way.

As for epic page views: I'll tell you when I get there. Until then I'm just going to say hard work and passion for what you do. I don't think there's any other way than to enjoy what you do and keep at it. Getting big usually takes time if it's going to happen.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
Custard Trout at 8:54PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(offline)
Every time you don't update, smash your fingers with a hammer. If you feel you can't handle that, get someone else to smash them for you.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:00PM
Skullbie at 9:57PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)

I get quite a few compliments on my update schedule and page quality, so I'll just say What I've done :)

1)Don't do it all in one sitting.
So stressful! no wonder people avoid it because of the negative feelings attached. Work on it whenever you feel like in small baby steps, like if you're surfing the web sketch out something while it the page loads.

2) adapt your style.
instead of making full-page rough sketches, make tiny thumbnails and plot it out. I lightly sketch in one person/panel at a time, then ink it right away.(after dabbing with a stretchy eraser)

3)BIGGEST TIME SAVER:: Fix mistakes on the computer!:)
I would never get a page done in time if i had to keep erasing my rough sketch, and then drawing the mistake proportional all over again. If a body part looks fine but is too big, just open photoshop or GIMP, duplicate layer, then use the select tool to fix your hideous errors!

Well hope that helped, 3rd step is most important to me lol.
Oh and as for epic pageviews, just read the sticky. It has some great advice^^

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:44PM
usedbooks at 9:57PM, Feb. 11, 2008
(online)
Easy. I didn't consider scanning/sharing/uploading or find DD until I had 200 pages already drawn. Makes updating on time a breeze. I've gone weeks without drawing and still not missed any updates.

But seriously, if you put things off until you build a “modest” buffer (not 200 pages but at least five or so would help) it would really give you breathing room.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
Frostflowers at 1:28AM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
Like usedbooks, I built up a buffer before I started updating - in my case, it was twenty-four pages rather than two hundred, but it's the same idea. Even though I went on hiatus twice - a total of two and a half months - I've still got about seven pages left as a buffer in case I need to take unexpected time off from comic-creation.

Like I'm doing now - I'm working on an application for school, which obviously is slightly more important than my webcomic, and so I only work on my comic in the few moments of spare time that I have. I also update once a week, every Friday. I did do twice a week when I started and was still drawing in greyscale, but I changed to once a week because it's a schedule that's easy for me to keep up and still have time for other things.

As for the epic page-views…? Keep updating as regularly as you can manage, and be active on the forums - the last one is the biggie for me; before I started posting on the forums, I was lucky if I broke 50 page-views a day, but now, my page-views run in the 200-400 range on my updating-day and the days immediately after. Banner in your sig and lots of posts is what it takes, I guess.
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
JustNoPoint at 6:51AM, Feb. 12, 2008
(online)
I keep updating because it's practically the only hobby I have. I don't have cable, satellite, or antennae so no TV aside from DVDs and I don't play games anymore.

Anytime I am at home I am working on my comic. I enjoy furthering the story so much that it's what I devote practically all of my time toward.

I doubt you'll want to go this route however =p Also when I had to actually scan stuff in I never finished an issue.

I can't stand trying to clean my pencils and coloring with a mouse was horrible. I didn't become the page churning machine I am until I invested in a Cintiq. Since it's so expensive I told myself I would get my $'s worth.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
SpoonsREvil at 7:46PM, Feb. 12, 2008
(offline)
Well thanks everyone well maybe not Custard Trout…cause I need my fingers but your comment made me have epic lulz. Well the advice you guys gave was great. I will put it to good use. but i'll do my own thing instead of a yuri webcomic…unless my writer tells me to. However do to my job, school, and gym i pretty much spend my time working on the comic at night or in math class.

Oh btw, i just updated Lol!
Skullbie at 12:14AM, Feb. 13, 2008
(online)
SpoonsREvil
but i'll do my own thing instead of a yuri webcomic…unless my writer tells me to.
what? do a yuri webcomic oh god. theres only like 10 that update now. ;—–;

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:44PM
SpoonsREvil at 7:02PM, Feb. 13, 2008
(offline)
wow only 10? I thought there'd be more than that >.>; At lest your one of them XD …… >.<
lemon_king at 5:18AM, March 13, 2008
(offline)
I try to get about 2 or 3 comcis cdone, then update.
If it's not sane to spell words with your Cheerios, I don't want to be sane.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
Naughtelos at 3:45PM, March 13, 2008
(offline)
1. I just do a s**tload (if you'll pardon my asterisks), of comics all at once, usually around Saturday.
2. I then preload them all on to DD (you can do that, just change the upload date on the top above the comics) about five at a time.
3. And don't forget to stagger your updates with a regular date, i.e. 3 times a week is comfortable for the majority of artists. I learned this the hard way.
4. Updating daily will chew up a TON of time, by the way, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you have too much time on your hands.
5. Buffers are your friend, make one.
6. Why? Well, if life slaps you with a situation that devours the time where you update, let that be your little secret, since it won't be an issue with your buffer, people probably won't even realize it.
7. When all else fails GO ON HIATUS. It's idyllically the last ditch attempt by webcomic artists, and those that do it often, tend to piss off their readership. Remember, before coming off hiatus, stall for a while and build up a buffer, and make some really well-done comics with the time you bought yourself. this will prevent you from dropping into a hiatus-loop that has plagued many a comic.
That ought to do it, hope you can keep up with it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
Aurora Borealis at 1:01PM, March 16, 2008
(online)
Yep, buffer's a good thing :)

I upload pages in chunks of 6 or 10 at a time, set the live date with the calendar in my hand (to make sure I hit exactly the weekdays I need) and that's it :)

Got about 2 months of updates sitting on the server, waiting to go live on the selected days.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Jarrod at 6:50PM, March 17, 2008
(offline)
Before I even put up my comic here in DD, I made five or so in advance.
Draw.

Pew. Pew. Pew.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
Walrus at 1:54PM, March 18, 2008
(online)
I had about 200 pages backed up before I found DD. All I had to do was re-draw them and then post them. Now I have about 500 or more pages to go through that haven't been uploaded yet. And this is for one comic. I usually make my plot and everything in advance, then make the comic and upload it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:45PM
fourobs at 1:30PM, March 23, 2008
(offline)
I like to update all my comics at the same time
DON`t %^%& copy

grimeskimo.com

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:30PM
deletedbyrequest03 at 11:03PM, March 25, 2008
(offline)
I'm really random when it comes to updating. Sometimes, I'll update once a week. Other times, I'll wait for about three months, remember that my comic still exists, and begin to update again.

Yeah. Bad habit. Too bad I'm busy. (shrugs)

But, yeah, if you want to keep updating and not get tired of it, don't do it all at once, and work on it daily. Just do a little at a time at your own pace. After getting a few pages done, you'll do fine. If you keep drawing.

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 2:33PM, March 27, 2008
(offline)
I realise I'm just starting out on my comic, but I'm filled to the brim with ideas how can I not update?
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:55PM
worstcase at 7:51PM, April 3, 2008
(online)
I like updating because everytime i update i usually improve. I like seeing my pages and style get better. and i like reading the comments that only come from updating with a new page. A buffer is always good too.

:) just have fun with it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
albone at 7:41AM, April 4, 2008
(online)
I keep updating by having a big ol buffer and spending most of my time on the webcomic. I'm happy to say that I've cut out a lot of TV.
You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
BlkKnight at 5:14PM, April 4, 2008
(online)
albone
I keep updating by having a big ol buffer and spending most of my time on the webcomic. I'm happy to say that I've cut out a lot of TV.

I do essentially the same thing.
That's “Dr. BlkKnight” to all of you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
JustNoPoint at 7:43PM, April 4, 2008
(online)
albone
I don't even have TV anymore. And completed 1 game since I started making my comic.

It's the hobby to end all hobbies if you want to update regularly. Sometimes I want to do other things I enjoy but have to just move those urges to the side.

Needless to say I doubt I'll ever get to beat a Zelda game again =(
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
acadia at 11:36PM, April 4, 2008
(online)
If I dont, Shaun gets mad at me.

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
Highwind017 at 11:50AM, April 11, 2008
(online)
By not forcing myself to update every day. If i enjoy doing the comic i would keep doing it but if its a hassel i would just pull the plug on it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
mattwandcow at 2:11PM, April 11, 2008
(offline)
There are several things I do.

A. Auto Update is your friend.
-Don't feel you have to manually get that page up. If you have 2 pages, set em up. Saves you trouble later

B. Carry a notebook.
-Carry a notebook and a bunch of pencils. People get inspiration at odd times and its nice to be sitting at a table at lunch, its nice to whip out a note book and doodle.

C. Learn when to not care
-There are a lot of things you do for your comic. If you find that you spend HOURS on one piece of your process, find a way to do it faster, better, funnier.

D. When the Muse strikes, Listen
-Your brain goes on and off. When its on, you can run through many pages. When its off, you can't. Build up a small “buffer” of busy work when your brain is off.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
kyupol at 4:21PM, April 11, 2008
(online)
I keep updating cuz I love it.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
Aussie_kid at 2:05AM, April 12, 2008
(online)
I only colour and letter two of the comics I'm involved in. The other has its artwork done completely by someone else. The last is a sprite comic. All of those comics I write though.

I find updating easy because I love doing comics. Of course, sometimes I get the ‘God I don’t want to do a page right now' feelings, but then I come back later and it's over. I'm guessing it's been suggested above, but I say make a buffer. A lack of deadline always helps me. Also, in relation to what I said before, make sure it's something you love doing, not something you want to do just for readers.
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
Tommie Kelly at 5:46AM, April 18, 2008
(offline)
Having a buffer is always helpful but I think following through is more important.

When I was doing THE END i was updating five times a week, I would get up every day and do a page and very rarely missed a day. But with my new comic i am only going to update three times a week and I already have the first 6 weeks of updates completed.

So just do it as the ad says!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:32PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 11:58AM, April 18, 2008
(offline)
Aussie_kid
I find updating easy because I love doing comics. Of course, sometimes I get the ‘God I don’t want to do a page right now' feelings, but then I come back later and it's over.

Ugh, I sometimes have that feeling.
But then I end up doodling on a notebook or a sketchbook anyway, or even find myself drawing another page, or coloring one in Photoshop.

It's like I have to work on the comic at least once every day.

But I'm sure I'll get better with it once the story gets started.
I love comics wayyy too much I guess. :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:15PM
Druchii at 7:50AM, May 5, 2008
(online)
lba
I just made it a habitual thing for me. I update every day. It also helps that I love doing it. You just have to sit down and do it. There really isn't any other way.

As for epic page views: I'll tell you when I get there. Until then I'm just going to say hard work and passion for what you do. I don't think there's any other way than to enjoy what you do and keep at it. Getting big usually takes time if it's going to happen.

Took the words out of my mouth.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved