Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

How do you make a sprite comic look professional??
lemon_king at 8:13AM, Aug. 14, 2008
(offline)
I'm trying to make my sprite comic a sucess, how so?
If it's not sane to spell words with your Cheerios, I don't want to be sane.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
BlkKnight at 9:42AM, Aug. 14, 2008
(online)
Beyond not using sprites as some will tell you here, make 100% original sprites and backgrounds along with a coherent storyline.
That's “Dr. BlkKnight” to all of you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
Jinachi at 2:28PM, Aug. 16, 2008
(offline)
K man one thing you got tooooo many webcomics on the go, so try and cut down.
Next to make a sprite comic look pro is to use 8 bit theatre as a base line and build from there. I mean they've made an empire on sprite comics so use them as a template to make your comic look pro
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:09PM
Dr Lympus at 7:32PM, Sept. 8, 2008
(offline)
Sprite comics can only be half decent if there is a good story, funny jokes and origional sprite and scenery. Anything else is a hack job and an insult to artists everywhere.

except Cru the Dwarf, no theres an epic sprite comic.
+ Your doctor in Medicalised Humour +
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM
Eirikr at 3:39PM, Sept. 10, 2008
(online)
BlkKnight
Beyond not using sprites as some will tell you here, make 100% original sprites and backgrounds along with a coherent storyline.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. This is something I've tried to do since day one, and it's served me pretty well, so I'd recommend it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 5:28PM, Sept. 12, 2008
(offline)
I think the only way for a sprite comic to even look decent, is for it all to be original.

The problem with sprite comics, is it's not just something for you to copy and paste. That's called plagiarism, which is stealing.

If you made 100 percent custom everything *like somebody mentioned up there, sorry, I forgot who mentioned it XDDD* then your comic won't be looked down upon by other artists.

I mean, recoloring or modifying already made sprites in any way is just downright dumb. I'm sorry, but that would be like taking a Power ranger and just give him a different color and a point on his head or something.
I can't really say much, because I used to make fan-characters and such, but still, you could at least just do original stuff.

That is all ^__^
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:15PM
korosu at 9:57AM, Sept. 16, 2008
(online)
A successful sprite comic? Oh, man, good luck with that one! I'm not meaning that as a personal stab at your own work, lemon king, but the fact is that sprite comics these days are a dime a dozen, and most people wouldn't give any of them a second glance. I agree with Ryu; really, the only way you can be successful with sprites is to be original. (Because, really, how many more MegaMan and Sonic sprites do we need?) That would require an interesting storyline, and of course for you to draw the sprites, not to C&P them. One of the reasons sprite comics aren't regarded very highly by a lot of other comic artists is because they don't look like they were made with any effort at all.

(Also, it would help tremendously to NOT have six separate comics, but just one or two you can really put your heart and soul into.)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:21PM
lemon_king at 1:17PM, Oct. 8, 2008
(offline)
I'm working on a new sprite comic. Day of the Nano Twister is done for now, but I'll finish it off sometime hopefully.

This one also uses Megaman sprites, all of which were found in the PD Sertion at Panelmonkey.org.

I have also decided to end Perfect, since I didn't have a backup copy of the original sprites, and it would be difficult to try to replicate them, although I plan on trying something like it again sometime in the near future.
KingRidley at 9:30PM, Oct. 8, 2008
(offline)
ohoho man do I have some advice on this subject

1. Learn how to resize. Never, NEVER do it manually.

2. Use all sprites and backgrounds from the same game. Mixing sprites is bad.

3. Author characters are cliche, and usually people do not like them. They cause too many plot holes.

4. Learn how to make text boxes. Not too big, not too small, no huge white spaces, etc.

5. If you can't make it funny, then don't force yourself to keep trying. There is nothing wrong with a serious sprite comic.

6. If you're using a custom sprite, make sure it looks good. No irritating colors, at least vaguely resembling the game it's from.

7. For God's sake, accept advice. You made a mistake? Fix it. Someone dislikes the background? Work on it. Someone points out your flaws? Accept them and work on them.

8. Put effort into your comic. Sprites are easy to use, and that makes alot of people too willing to get lazy. Outline your sprites, Make sure they don't have any messed up parts to them, and know when to use each pose appropriately.

9. Learn how Panels work. Know what sort of special effects look good where, what kind of word bubbles are appropriate for each situation, etc. Sprites may not involve many things normal artists use, but they're still comics, and have to behave like them

10. Avoid cliche's. Godlike characters, sarcastic heroes, idiot sidekicks, rage addicted anything, sexual deviants, etc.

I've learned alot of this the hard way, starting out on a very harsh forum and putting up with “this looks terrible” every day. But if you do what people ask you to (if you can make them ask you at all), then all it does is make you better.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Dan at 3:06PM, Oct. 9, 2008
(online)
I wholeheartedly disagree about comics having to be 100% custom and calling “edits” dumb, unless a bigger agenda is planned. Sure, it's rather nice and an effort well worthy of anyone's respect, but I do not see that as the only way.

What sprite comics need is anything that today's sprite comic isn't. By that I mean going beyond the rather petty standards we see everyday- bland jokes, recolors, cliches, Dragonball Z, and especially (And the thing I HATE the most) static panels. I've seen hundreds of those and many of you know that they're pretty much eye-soring.

As for sprite editing, I really don't see that as a bad since, especially since it means that he/she's actually putting it at least more effort than just recolors. What really matters is how the sprites are used- no matter how beautiful they look, the looks itself will not, and never will, make sprite comic a success.

My advice? Give people something new. I wish I could write more, but I have to go out. What timing.
“I like shooting, but I sure as hell don't like being shot at.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 5:58PM, Oct. 9, 2008
(offline)
Dan
I wholeheartedly disagree about comics having to be 100% custom and calling “edits” dumb, unless a bigger agenda is planned. Sure, it's rather nice and an effort well worthy of anyone's respect, but I do not see that as the only way.

My advice? Give people something new. I wish I could write more, but I have to go out. What timing.

Well, the only thing I'm really sick of, is how every sprite comic is exactly the time.

1.) Sonic/Megaman sprites.
and edited in MSpaint, usually with black text, or text that corresponds with the character's color.

I mean, I've seen a few really nice photoshopped ones, which DOES help, because it's very pleasing to the eye.

But yeah, if sprite comic artists *not saying anybody specifically* were to put a little more effort, then I'm sure they wouldn't have the bad reputation they do today.
I can't say anything bad either, I used to sprite XD
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
KingRidley at 8:24AM, Oct. 10, 2008
(offline)
That's another thing that bothers me about this. People who used to sprite (not blaming you about this) will decide not to anymore, but then they go around insulting those who still do. I mean seriously, YOU KNOW WHY YOU USED TO ENJOY IT. Don't insult people who enjoy a hobby you once shared.

ahem

most sprite comics I see are (ironically for me) super mario world comics with sprites from just about every other mario game made. Of course coming from a metroid based forum I've seen my share of terrible Samus recolors as well.

That's just the nature of sprites though. They're easy. It's a fast way to get practice at comicing for real without needing to worry about how well you can draw. I mean if I could draw well enough to make a comic (which I am working on, all my stuff looks too flat) then I would. But until then I see nothing wrong with sprites, and even then I will continue using sprites on the side.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
ozoneocean at 1:46AM, Oct. 11, 2008
(online)
KingRidley
That's another thing that bothers me about this. People who used to sprite (not blaming you about this) will decide not to anymore, but then they go around insulting those who still do. I mean seriously, YOU KNOW WHY YOU USED TO ENJOY IT. Don't insult people who enjoy a hobby you once shared.
Reminds ne of Atheists that started as Christians. World's worst bores. -_-

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
gigatwo at 7:54AM, Oct. 11, 2008
(online)
Aw man, I'm boring. I wanna be a Buddhist. ( I don't actually argue against religion)

Here's an idea. Try vectorizing you're sprites. I'm not sure if sprites have enough detail to do that, but that'd look pretty nice.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:36PM
lemon_king at 6:55PM, Oct. 11, 2008
(offline)
I realize that most of my work is sub-par, but I'm just hoping someone will read my comics. Quality was…well, just horrible at the beginning. And now I've decided to cut down on my comics, and do them one at a time.

I mainly use sprites because my family doesn't have a scanner. Well, we do now, but it's not hooekd up yet. When it gets hooked up, most of my efforts will be on hand-drawn comics.

But the older I get, the more I realize its about QUALITY, not QUANTITY.
Thanks for all the tips.
Naughtelos at 3:43PM, Nov. 11, 2008
(offline)
Dr Lympus
Sprite comics can only be half decent if there is a good story, funny jokes and origional sprite and scenery. Anything else is a hack job and an insult to artists everywhere.

except Cru the Dwarf, no theres an epic sprite comic.
I hate to sound like a prick, Doc, but Cru's not exactly a sprite comic, more CGI, really. Sprite denotes 8-to-16-bit pixelated character designs, Cru, most certainly, is not pixelated. That's all I had to say.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
Highwind017 at 10:42AM, Dec. 4, 2008
(online)
Ive only done one comic which has been seccessful (That would be “Love and Chaos” ), Its not the most professional comic in drunkduck but it warms my heart when someone says that they enjoy reading my comic. I cant help with making a comic “Professional”, Unless your so damn good with photoshop or whatever. In the end of the day. If your goal is to tell people a story. It doesnt matter what you use, but how you do it.

If your doing a serious type of comic which has a story, Plan it out. It helps if you take a good think about what your wanting to do for your story. Play it though your head. I wouldnt plagurise storys but if you read, play games or whatever. Take some of those ideas. Dont just copy it to the letter. Mix ideas together and you should have a good enough story to tell.

Thats all i can say for now. If you start that sprite comic, i'll take a peak.

Edit: Oh yeah, Also, have you decided what sprites your going to use?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
DOUK at 7:05PM, Dec. 12, 2008
(online)
If you make your own sprites, then Great, all you need is a good story.

If you're using video game sprites, a sort of fan comic, then you'll have to go broke on the special effects, zoom in on the characters when they're saying something important, and generally try to make it bad ass, like the characters would usually act. Also, change the viewing angle from time to time, a lot of games have sprites for all eye-level angles, so mix it up or else people will be bored just looking at it.

Backgrounds are everything, if you're using sprite backgrounds, then you'll have to make it look nice, or else draw your own and fade it a bit. Thats all I ahve to say, I've never sprited comics before so I could be just spouting nonsense.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM
lba at 12:24PM, Dec. 18, 2008
(online)
The only thing that might catch my eye in a sprite comic is if the author took the time to make each panel resemble a normal comic in it's perspective, point of view, etc. and did custom spriting for each panel. ie: if you were to sketch it out so you knew what you wanted and then create each panel without doing any copy pasting off a sprite sheet ( Such as if you were considering the spriting part a digital method of inking the page. ), making them all by hand, then you'd have my attention.

It might take you forever to do it that way, but it would definitely stand apart from the majority of sprites and come across as more professional.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved