Media Megaforum

how do you take yer modern horror?
PIT_FACE at 8:01AM, March 6, 2010
(online)
movie wise, i've noticed two tones most commenly used in horror movies made in the last few years. either shit's kinda goofy and funny, or dark and ultra serious. which do you prefer?

for me, it can be fun to watch some twisted stuff, but it gets old fast for me. it seems people are almost trying to hard to be dark. like i watched Perkins 14 the other day and (spoiler alert)it's like the director had to make sure everyone bit the dust at the end. now i don't mind when the whole cast dies, but something about it just seemed kinda forced, like in order to man up to some kind of tragic horror standard, everyone had to die and i was actually kinda disapointed with it. (end spoiler)

like i can watch Shaun of the Dead alot more than Saw, you know? i mean dont get me wrong, i love seeing crazy shit in horror movies, if i didnt i'd probably just watch comedies all the time, but i need some humor in there too.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
ozoneocean at 9:05AM, March 6, 2010
(online)
I think you're right here.
In the old days you had psychological horror, which didn't show much, but it still stabbed you in the gut when you watched it. You also had the blood and guts sort that showed everything it possibly could, but that was only good because you could laugh at it . Even if it was unintentional. And those types were usually always made by bad film makers.
Those two streams started to merge as props and techniques improved, and you had clever people who took it in another direction, deliberately working on the humour angle because they saw how well that worked in older films.

Personally I don't think psychological horror works well when you make it too obvious, showing all the blood, guts and torture. It will always disappoint on most levels and just come off as a bit scary, and gross. In my opinion psychological horror when done well is about the most gut churning, brain cringing you can get, and you don't even have to show very much since if you work on people's expectations and fears well enough THAT will be far worse than anything you could show.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
Hawk at 11:16AM, March 6, 2010
(online)
I prefer the psychological horror Ozone mentioned. Blood and gore does nothing for me, and if you put enough comedy into a horror movie, I cease to see it as a horror movie anymore… just a gory comedy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
PIT_FACE at 12:09PM, March 6, 2010
(online)
eh, i like psycohorror to an extent. if it IS done right then it's great, but if not it just seems watered down to me, like im being guarded from something. the person reacting to the situation (cuz that's ussually what they focus on if they're not showing anything gorey) has to portray it in a good,fresh way instead of just a scream, like it has to be passionate and heart stopping because it's already been done so many times, you know? i guess that goes for anything though, you have to keep the concept itself interesting.
lba at 1:07PM, March 6, 2010
(online)
I think the psychological stuff is related to suspense more than horror these days. Horror has just turned into a slasher-fest in my opinion. For instance, The Mist was only scary for the effect of staring off into the fog waiting for something to happen, and that was a really limited response in everyone who watched it I think. What made the movie half-way worth watching was the ending, where the real horror came in. The guy shoots both the older folks and his own son thinking they'll never survive and is probably just about ready to chuck it himself, only to have the fog start lifting a minute later with soldiers walking through killing the bugs or whatever they are. And it's not a violent or even dark scene in terms of what's on screen or the suspense, but it still gets you with the feeling of revulsion.

I think the good horror/scary movies today are like that scene. In and of themselves, they're not really “horror” flicks, but to me they're more horror than SAW wishes it could ever be. Nobody would ever call Requiem For a Dream horror, but it's a seriously fucked up, disturbing movie and you end up feeling really unsettled by what happens to the characters in the end. The ones I think use horror best are ironically the ones that aren't even in the genre.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
The Gravekeeper at 3:25PM, March 6, 2010
(offline)
Showing me everything will not scare me. I'm too desentized for that to work anymore and at any rate my genuine fears do not and have never included things like dismemberment. Heck, it doesn't even put me off my appetite anymore. No, if a movie wants to actually make me look over my shoulder late at night, it has to be able to pull off psychological horror. Too bad that, like any genre, it's easy to screw up.

Also, a reliance on cat scares will ruin any dark mood a movie had for me. Sudden loud noises generally don't scare people, they startle people and trigger a reflexive jump. Hell, I've jumped things like suddenly seeing that there's something in my peripheral vision only to realize that it was my own hand. My hand isn't scary, I was simply startled for a fraction of a second.

For the record, hindsight and nostalgia are real bitches. For every genuinely good horror movie that successfully pulled off psychological horror there are dozens that either failed to build up any kind of atmosphere (your man-eating shrews are completely ruined when the audience can see that they're just dogs wearing ratty carpets and paper mache masks) or thought that lots of onscreen gore was scary rather than potentially neausiating (or laughable if the “blood” looked like orange juice).
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
DAJB at 12:41AM, March 7, 2010
(online)
For me, the best horror films always have at least some humour in them. Preferably a lot!

I find that watching a film like Saw or Hostel very quickly becomes boring. There's nothing to anticipate except how much more blood and gore and screaming will accompany the next death. In a film like An American Werewolf in London, however, the humour can relieve tension at one minute and, at the same time, leave you totally unprepared for the shock that's just around the next corner.

Out and out comedies like Shaun of the Dead or Zombieland are probably not true horror films because the humour is there almost exclusively to relieve the feeling of horror rather than highlight it. No matter how much blood is thrown at the screen, each gruesome death always leaves you laughing rather than cowering under your seat. And that's exactly how I like my horror!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
PIT_FACE at 7:18AM, March 7, 2010
(online)
i agree. i think that's whu Evil Dead 2 ended up being one of my favorite all time movies because you could laugh, but it was still fuckin bizare!

real violent scenes can still make me cringe cuz i gotta bad habit of putting myself in that person's place in the movie. like the gore itself wont faze me, but like say if it actually shows someone getting stabbed or beaten to death, sometimes it'll affect me more because i'll put myself in the situation. That's why Cloverfield bugs me out when i watch it, i get a real adrenaline rush because it's already first person, so i dont need much helping feeling like im there and i get skitzed the fuck out!haha, i love it. all these movies are still capable of producing horror i think, it's just another kind of horror.

The Gravekeeper at 10:39AM, March 7, 2010
(offline)
PIT_FACE
i agree. i think that's whu Evil Dead 2 ended up being one of my favorite all time movies because you could laugh, but it was still fuckin bizare!

real violent scenes can still make me cringe cuz i gotta bad habit of putting myself in that person's place in the movie. like the gore itself wont faze me, but like say if it actually shows someone getting stabbed or beaten to death, sometimes it'll affect me more because i'll put myself in the situation. That's why Cloverfield bugs me out when i watch it, i get a real adrenaline rush because it's already first person, so i dont need much helping feeling like im there and i get skitzed the fuck out!haha, i love it. all these movies are still capable of producing horror i think, it's just another kind of horror.

Cult and B movies, man. I love ‘em to death partly because they don’t take themselves so seriously and are willing to experiment a bit. I mean, hell, look at Bubba Ho-tep and try fitting it into just one genre. Is it a horror? A comedy? A drama? Whatever it is, it's entertaining as hell and fully capable of providing some scares, some laughs and making you think a little about society.

Cloverfield, however, well… I went to see it in theatre and I genuinely wanted to like it. Too bad that the whole first-person shaky cam thing for the duration of the movie gave me motion sickness. I'm sure it was an okay movie, but I wouldn't really know since I had to battle the feeling of nausea for most of the movie. I might rent it sometime to see if motion sickness isn't a problem on a smaller screen, but I've got a feeling that my experience in the theatre is going to taint my impression of the movie.
I Am The 1337 Master at 12:59PM, March 7, 2010
(offline)
really fucked up is the way to go.

does King count as modern horror? Well I do read other various authors…names?…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:54PM
PIT_FACE at 2:07PM, March 7, 2010
(online)
well i was thinking more movie wise. i dont wanna set any kinda time limit cuz the conversation can go so far beyond that, but i said modern horror cuz i was referring to what i've noticed in the current trend of movies in the last 2 or 3 years.
patrickdevine at 2:34PM, March 8, 2010
(online)
Hmm. When you limit me to just movies it is kind of hard to say what I'd like just because most of my favorite horror stories were in video games. In horror movies it's just generally expected that everyone in the movie will be given flimsy characterizations and die in violent ways. It just seem like lazy writing to me. I think a horror story is much more effective with believable characters that you can actually empathize with. To me some of the best horror out there is the kind that knows how to use build up. I'm not sure if you can count them as horror still but my favorites are Silence of the Lambs, Red Dragon and Alien.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
ministrybase at 3:48AM, March 9, 2010
(offline)
In my opinion, one of the greatest horror writer/directors would have to be David Lynch. Twin Peaks: Firewalk With Me, anyone? I've never been so disturbed in my life. His work is more disturbing than outright horror though. I love the surreal qualities of his work although it relies more on atmosphere and juxtaposition of images than outright scares. A fair amount of my friends don’t enjoy him because they say he’s not accessible enough. Each to their own, I guess.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
mlai at 9:01PM, March 9, 2010
(online)
Thomas Harris' novels turned movies (Silence of Lambs, etc) would fall under psychological horror, I think.

That's not a pun.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Mitaukano at 11:03PM, March 9, 2010
(online)
In the words of my beloved grandmother “That just ain't scary.” I say this because I do not think I have really been scared by a modern horror in recent years (not since I was 11). Only exception would be ‘Untraceable’, which shows that while I do enjoy a little bit of gore and blood, I enjoy it more when there is some sort of psychological angle.
Many things made today bore me or disgust me with their overused female stereotypes. Most of the time in many newer movies the girl is either raped/fondled/or made to watch something equally disgusting. This kind of things really irks me. Whatever happened to the Ripley type character? I mean even in Alien 3 they had to throw in some rape and I think that's what made me stop watching that series.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Sea_Cow at 5:40PM, March 11, 2010
(offline)
ministrybase
In my opinion, one of the greatest horror writer/directors would have to be David Lynch. Twin Peaks: Firewalk With Me, anyone? I've never been so disturbed in my life. His work is more disturbing than outright horror though. I love the surreal qualities of his work although it relies more on atmosphere and juxtaposition of images than outright scares. A fair amount of my friends don’t enjoy him because they say he’s not accessible enough. Each to their own, I guess.

Thank you, sir. I was just about to mention Lynch. I take my modern horror virtually incomprehensible, with deep symbolism, unsettling shots, and heavy surrealist imagery.

Other than that, I like movies like Insomnia and Se7en, which have realistic characters and no obvious supernatural elements, but disturb purely through the natures of their characters. I guess that's some psychohorror.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:27PM
marine at 2:08AM, March 22, 2010
(offline)
I like everything spooky. Anything I can watch spooky I will. If something sucks or bores me, I bail within ten minutes.

That said, movies like a Severance that are more comical entertain me a great deal, but the more cerebral pieces like Jacobs Ladder stick with me.

I prefer my films to be fun, the characters as stupid as possible. Special effects flashy and practical, but if I have to deal with the computer stuff I will. Some people can't appreciate Howling 3 the way I do.

I liked Saw and Shaun of the Dead. That's my opinion. I've seen both more than once, I've rented both more than once to show to friends I had over, back when renting was cool. Now with netflix, I watch horror constantly. Thanks internet!

I also like short form horror. The quick thirty or sixty minute format. Take a movie like the . It's only about an hour and fifteen minutes, does the job better than any three or four hour epic I've ever seen. Almost nothing happens, but when something does happen it jolts you and all the build pays off. Quarantine, the remake, goes the opposite route. With almost nonstop action and special effects galore. I enjoyed it as well. Even if the advertising campaign was a spoiler.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
skoolmunkee at 3:35PM, March 22, 2010
(online)
marine

Speaking of rising from the dead
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
Plague Doctor at 12:15PM, June 30, 2010
(offline)
I prefer the low budget ones with a shaky camera effect(but not too much)
They make the situation far more real then the high budget ones,and they focus more on characters and writing,rather than special effects.
And due to ssmaller budget,the scares start right away,rather than a half hour intro with a group of college couples traveling,cracking bad jokes…and anther 10 minutes when they finally arrive to the place of their doom…

The funny thing about the Saw series is that it acctually has a well designed plot,plenty of characters with various backgrounds and so on…but I bet that 99.9% people watch it for the traps,and zone out during the storyline xD

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
The Gravekeeper at 5:28PM, Sept. 11, 2010
(offline)
Plague Doctor
I prefer the low budget ones with a shaky camera effect(but not too much)
They make the situation far more real then the high budget ones,and they focus more on characters and writing,rather than special effects.
And due to ssmaller budget,the scares start right away,rather than a half hour intro with a group of college couples traveling,cracking bad jokes…and anther 10 minutes when they finally arrive to the place of their doom…

The funny thing about the Saw series is that it acctually has a well designed plot,plenty of characters with various backgrounds and so on…but I bet that 99.9% people watch it for the traps,and zone out during the storyline xD

I wanna know which low-budget horror movies you've been watching! Most of the ones I've seen have terrible scripts, 1-dimensional characters, poor predictable scares, awful pacing (I've seen a couple where nothing happens for about 30 minutes, if not longer), and to top it off, the plot is often such that it needs at least decent special effects that the budget couldn't allow for. There certainly are some great low-budget horrors but trust me: they're the minority.

For every “Saw” that comes out there are at least 10 “Dark Harvests.”
I Am The 1337 Master at 6:26AM, Sept. 14, 2010
(offline)
Speaking of that type of scenario…

Was “The Ruins” any good as a movie?

I wish I watched more of these movies…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:54PM
ComicsCodeRed at 12:16PM, Dec. 14, 2010
(offline)
I like a mixture of gore and suspense. Also a little bit of comedy thrown in is awesome, i.e. the scene in cabin fever where the guy swallowed a Harmonica lol.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:44AM
itsjustaar at 2:33AM, Dec. 16, 2010
(online)
I can't say I've been impressed with most of the modern horrors now, but that might be because I don't get out much. I love me zombie films a lot, or more specifically, any kinds of distopian/apocolyptic films, with the characters forced to trudge along with the misery surrounding them. The only kind of gorey films I like are the ones from years prior; these were the kinds of things that were intentionally cheesy, and often not well done at all. With new films, I don't expect a lot of it, but it's gotta be fun and gruesome. ;3

Twist endings are good, or something with grim endings. The story has to be well enough for me to feel bad for the people involved; same goes with happy and optimistic ones. But I like something where the characters realize they're doomed nonetheless, more or less.
“Keeping Up with Thursday” - Updated Every 3 Days!
“ZombieToons Must Die” - hiatus. D:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved