Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

How does a Tablet work?
Zoom the Hedgehog at 3:00PM, Dec. 6, 2008
(online)
I was thinking about getting a tablet this Christmas but I have barely know anything about. How does a tablet work exactly?
nou
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
BlkKnight at 3:36PM, Dec. 6, 2008
(online)
This probably could have stayed in your previous topic.

Tablets are quite simple to understand. The stylus and tablet act similar to a giant touchpad except that the boundaries of the tablet sync up to the edges of your monitor (or whatever you specify in the settings). Just be careful if you use a tablet with a widescreen (I think there's only one Intuos 3 model that is designed for that) monitor as you will have to readjust the tablet space.

For instance, I have two standard monitors connected to my computer. The tablet area covers the the entire desktop area so if I were to draw something it would look kinda wide. Therefore, I force all of my drawing programs to a single monitor and force the tablet to only map that monitor while in the program restoring the original proportions. After that you just draw on the tablet like you would paper.

Probably more than you wanted, but I figured I'd add that just in case you run into that situation.
That's “Dr. BlkKnight” to all of you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
Skullbie at 3:40PM, Dec. 6, 2008
(online)
google.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
thoththegrey at 5:19AM, Dec. 7, 2008
(offline)
Magnets.

I'm serious.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:29PM
Zoom the Hedgehog at 7:40AM, Dec. 7, 2008
(online)
Thanks BlkKnight.
nou
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
Ochitsukanai at 8:57PM, Dec. 7, 2008
(online)
Skullbie
google.com

The best part is really that it's a non-functioning link.

Always, I wanna be with mew, and make believe with mew
and live in harmony harmony oh nyan
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
Skullbie at 6:36AM, Dec. 8, 2008
(online)
T-there are people who can't manage to actually type out ‘google.com’? :(

Fix'd:
google.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:46PM
lba at 1:02PM, Dec. 8, 2008
(online)
Play nice skull. It's a legitimate question from someone who doesn't know and might not know enough to understand some of the material out there. Heck, I hardly know what makes my intuos tick and I use it for work and college classes every day.

Also, as far as my experience has gone, the issue with wide screen isn't as big a problem as you'd think. I use a regular 4x6 intuos with my laptop and never set it up for wide screen. The tablet automatically adjusts to match the input field to the proportions of your screen. I'd imagine it might be a little easier to control if I did, but the difference seems to be so negligible that I haven't bothered.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
mattchee at 2:46PM, Dec. 8, 2008
(online)
I've never had an issue with a 4:3 AOR vs widescreen (16:9?) and my wacom. I've even switched out and old 4:3 CRT monitor for a widescreen LCD on the same computer and with NO CONFIGURATION, my wacom worked seamlessly with the new monitor dimensions. No problems whatsoever. I've also used the same wacom on a number of laptops and other computers and never any issues there.

As far as how tablets work. Since you've raised that question, I went to wikipedia and found more information than any lay-person like myself would ever want to know.

I kinda feel like someone told me that Santa doesn't exist, now.

Anyhow… here's the wiki link: digitizing tablet.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
Ochitsukanai at 7:26PM, Dec. 8, 2008
(online)
Skullbie
Fix'd:
google.com

Ahaha, much better.

…but on the off chance I came across like a douche, all “hurr, your link's not workin',” I liked the original 'cause I parsed it as being serious and unforgiving. All like "jfgi. no, you can't have a real link. GO."

But really, for the thread - there are tutorials for everything, so there's no need to worry. And even if it takes getting used to, it'll eventually be fine, no? Besides, there really is no better season for getting things you don't know well. (I hope to get Photoshop :P)

Always, I wanna be with mew, and make believe with mew
and live in harmony harmony oh nyan
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
BlkKnight at 9:03PM, Dec. 8, 2008
(online)
lba
Also, as far as my experience has gone, the issue with wide screen isn't as big a problem as you'd think. I use a regular 4x6 intuos with my laptop and never set it up for wide screen. The tablet automatically adjusts to match the input field to the proportions of your screen. I'd imagine it might be a little easier to control if I did, but the difference seems to be so negligible that I haven't bothered.

Alright, so it's more of a problem with a dual monitor setup (I essentially run 2560x1024 which is like an extra-wide screen).
skoolmunkee at 3:39AM, Dec. 9, 2008
(online)
If you have a wacom, you can tell it to only use a portion of the tablet's surface area, that way you can map the usable shape to something more like your monitor's dimensions. I wouldn't recommend it for smaller tablets though because then you just get even less space to work with.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
mattchee at 8:29AM, Dec. 9, 2008
(online)
BlkKnight
lba

Alright, so it's more of a problem with a dual monitor setup (I essentially run 2560x1024 which is like an extra-wide screen).

a-HA!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
JoeL_CQB at 10:37AM, Dec. 9, 2008
(online)
BlkKnight
lba

not if you're using wacom's dual screen tablet.
http://www.wacom.com/intuos/6x11.php

i found that it was too big for just one widescreen monitor, but perfect if you were using a dual screen.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
ozoneocean at 6:19PM, Dec. 9, 2008
(online)
BlkKnight
lright, so it's more of a problem with a dual monitor setup (I essentially run 2560x1024 which is like an extra-wide screen).
I used to have exactly that setup, with my two 19 inch normal width monitors and my 12x12 Intuos.
What I did was set the screen area so that I used all of one monitor and just a bit from the second: I put my pallets and tools in that space.

Because the tablet was square and the monitor area was quite rectangular, there was obviously a distortion between the drawing area and display… However, that was never an issue at any time since the hand and the brain accommodate that without noticing. -So even though you're drawing on a square area and that's stretched out into a longer rectangle on the display area, it's not noticeable; either in the hand movements or the end result. :)

Although I wouldn't want to stretch the area over the entirety of two monitors. That's a bit much even for a tablet that's rectangle to start with… Except maybe for the 6x11 mentioned by Joel.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
BlkKnight at 9:48PM, Dec. 9, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
I used to have exactly that setup, with my two 19 inch normal width monitors and my 12x12 Intuos.
What I did was set the screen area so that I used all of one monitor and just a bit from the second: I put my pallets and tools in that space.

Because the tablet was square and the monitor area was quite rectangular, there was obviously a distortion between the drawing area and display… However, that was never an issue at any time since the hand and the brain accommodate that without noticing. -So even though you're drawing on a square area and that's stretched out into a longer rectangle on the display area, it's not noticeable; either in the hand movements or the end result. :)

I do the same with my 6x8 Intuos2, but I just keep it to one monitor on Photoshop and Illustrator though. I'm actually quite surprised that the standard size tablet doesn't cause too much distortion on a widescreen monitor. It's been the one thing keeping me from switching.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved