Media Megaforum

How many of you here know about ROBOTECH?
meemjar at 8:52AM, March 28, 2010
(online)
Back in the mid 80's Carl Macek brought to the west a unique anime series as that it was not one original series but a series that took three unrelated but similar shows and spliced them together to form a whole new epic.
The three original shows were: Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada.

Because all three shows featured the following; Alien invasion, giant transforming robots, different races in love-hate relationships and soap-operic story lines of love-hate relationships with its main characters, it was relatively easy to join the shows together as an ongoing saga spanning three generations.

In short it was made out that the heroes of the second series were the sons and daughters of the previous show and so on.

The reason why I'm bringing this up is because I did a fanzine of ROBOTECH and I wanted to know how many of you were familiar with the old show before posting it up here on Drunk Duck.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:58PM
GameCargo at 9:52AM, March 28, 2010
(online)
Robotech and Big O were my favorite mech anime series. I was a big time fan of Mech's after watching Power Rangers and Dexter's Laboratory as a kid. In fact, anime used to be superior to American animation…what happened?! Oh, and I hear Tobey McGuire is producing the Live Action Robotech film. If they do it right, I might see it…depends.
Going through motions while I get my head straight.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:32PM
same at 2:05PM, March 28, 2010
(online)
I know of it but today's shiny new mecha anime makes it hard to like old mecha anime. Although Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam was great and gaogaigar is pretty good even though its kinda new but I guess I cant really count anything after the 80s can I. I might give Robotech a try.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:20PM
Lonnehart at 2:13PM, March 28, 2010
(online)
Well… there's one good thing I liked about Robotech. It wasn't as badly butchered as Battle of the Planets, Voltron, or any anime/show made by Haim Saban.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
ozoneocean at 5:59PM, March 28, 2010
(online)
Southern Cross and Macros were related in that they had that Super Dimensions thing going, but the they take place in different universes- although some Southern Cross mecha appear in Macross in cameo.
same
I know of it but today's shiny new mecha anime makes it hard to like old mecha anime. Although Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam was great and gaogaigar is pretty good even though its kinda new but I guess I cant really count anything after the 80s can I. I might give Robotech a try.
The first and main show that Robotech was made from was Macross, probably one of THE most influential mecha animes, along with stuff like Gundam. Macross (Robotech first series) was much revered in the anime industry for many years, it still is, especially for it's extremely well designed cool looking mecha war machines. :)

Most modern series would kill be to as recognised for their designs,

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
isukun at 8:12PM, March 28, 2010
(online)
The only series I really liked of the three was Macross and I prefer the non-butchered version.

Oh, and I hear Tobey McGuire is producing the Live Action Robotech film. If they do it right, I might see it…depends.

Seriously? Wasn't the animated sequel bad enough? I really wish they would let this franchise die, already. I'm sick of US releases of legitimate follow-ups being held back.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
ozoneocean at 10:36PM, March 28, 2010
(online)
A live action Robotech film could be good… But probably wouldn't. :(

I've got the Mospeada and Southern Cross series on DVD, but of Macross I've only seen the “Do you remember Love” DVD… And some of Macross 2 and the excellent Macross Plus DVDs, but they're all something else.

Mospeada and Southern Cross are interesting to see in their true forms, without the cutting and splicing. It's interesting to see all the fan service panty-shots in Southern Cross along with outright nudity that was all removed from the Robotech version.

The stories of those series make more sense in their proper forms, but the Robotech editing made them punchier and a lot more exciting and thrilling. The originals drag on for long periods, continually cutting back to the same scenes over and over… They did that a bit less in Robotech, the Robotech version also cut out a lot of the clunkier, more poorly drawn scenes. All the incidental and theme music (which was one was of my FAVE parts of Robotech), isn't there in the originals (of course), and you really DO miss it. That music, along with some decent sound effects really helped to increase the emotional impact of the scenes and situations. In the originals the music is very, very bare bones and was obviously done on the cheap. It's hard to get used to.
-I can't speak for Macross though because as I said I haven't seen the series version, only the Macros film they made out of it.

isukun at 12:36AM, March 29, 2010
(online)
The music was better in the Japanese version of Macross. There was an uncut, sub only release of Macross put out by AnimEigo out here, but it was never particularly easy to find. Unfortunately, now, anything Macross is pretty much a lost cause here for distributors thanks to Harmony Gold.
ozoneocean at 1:12AM, March 29, 2010
(online)
isukun
Unfortunately, now, anything Macross is pretty much a lost cause here for distributors thanks to Harmony Gold.
Really? D:
I think Harmony Gold had some part in putting out the Mospeada and Southern Cross collections. If that's the case, why couldn't they do the same for Macross? Are there more issues with their licenses for the original material?

I really, really wish it was easier just to walk into a DVD shop and pursue the full Macross series, but that's just never been the case here. Macross 2, from the three or four episodes I watched, was just waaay too weird and different to for me to get into and none of the mecha designs in any of the later work or art I've seen are quite as cool as those in the original.

meemjar at 7:43AM, March 29, 2010
(online)
Well guys, debate all you want.

But for now, I got my fanzine up.

Hope you enjoy it.

;) :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:58PM
ozoneocean at 8:34AM, March 29, 2010
(online)
I'm not debating, because I don't disagree with anthing Isukun hs said so I'm not in dispute :)
I'm just using this thread to talk about a show that I really loved as a kid and still love now.

Hooray for your fan-comic. Nice work. ^^

isukun at 2:48PM, March 29, 2010
(online)
Macek basically took over the trademark on the Macross name in the US in 2003, so distributors basically have to go through multiple rights owners to put out any of the follow up series. Since 2003, nobody has been able to pick up a Macross series. We never got Macross 7 (which isn't a major issue for me, I really only liked the Macross 7 Trash manga, anyway), and probably won't be getting Macross Zero or Frontier.
ozoneocean at 8:12PM, March 29, 2010
(online)
No wonder Macross is so uncommon. :(
I've only heard good things about Macross 7, I would love to get the series.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved