Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

How should I promote my comic?
harkovast at 5:37PM, Oct. 19, 2008
(online)
My comic is underway, but I am a bit worried that I will end up writing loads of it but hardly anyone will actually get to read it.
How can I go about promoting it so more people will go and take a look at it?

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:42PM
BlkKnight at 7:25PM, Oct. 19, 2008
(online)
There's tons of ways to advertise. You'll want to look at creating various sizes of banners, stick on in your DD sig. Stick your comic on ranking and listing sites, do link exchanges, put up PW ad space. One of the sub-forums here is dedicated to advertising, so you may want to read through those threads for more info.
That's “Dr. BlkKnight” to all of you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
flapjack1995 at 6:41AM, Oct. 20, 2008
(online)
Add 1000 people as a friend. It worked for me. Even people you don't know or probably won't know. Add them.
|GTR|FJ|MSC|
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:29PM
warefish at 3:58AM, Oct. 21, 2008
(online)
This topic is actually in another thread. But anyway, I agree with flapjack. It worked for me as well! :D
Another idea is to promote your comic through other sites as well.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:46PM
warefish at 4:10AM, Oct. 21, 2008
(online)
I took a good look at your comic and I love it!
I left you a comment, and I have decided to continue to comment as long as you continue to update! XD
Welcome to the pressure of art making!

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:46PM
katfeete at 6:58AM, Oct. 26, 2008
(online)
First, wait. :) Most people will only click-through on a comic once, and if it's only six or seven pages (especially of exposition, like you have now), they'll probably wander off and forget you. Give yourself a bit more time to get into the story.

Put yourself up on listing sites like TWCL, Belfry, Piperka, and Frumph. People do use these, honest, and they can build your readership quite a lot.

Take out ads on Project Wonderful. You can get quite a lot from a very small amount of money there, and even if you spend nothing you can still get some free spots on smaller sites.

Hang out in forums – here, and in places like TWCL – and put a link in your sig. People will come through.

Make a point of commenting on your favorite comics. Sometimes people will check in to see who you are and like your comic.

Most of all, have patience. :) Remember, you're not doing this because you want an audience. You're doing this because it's fun.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:14PM
Knuckles at 9:25AM, Oct. 26, 2008
(offline)
Defintely putting an eye-catching banner in your forum signature is a great way to grab attention for people to visit your comic. I've discovered a lot of great comics just from clicking through forum signatures. You should do it for not just DD, but any forum(s) that you visit frequently. Try joining more communities as well and getting involved and make people curious about what you do.

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
harkovast at 7:19AM, Oct. 30, 2008
(online)
Well I have the banner as my signature here, which is a start!
Katefeete, thanks for the suggestions, I will look into all those sites.
I made this thread and forgot about it and just looked back and found I've got loads of good advice.
So, thanks everybody!

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:42PM
thoththegrey at 4:34AM, Oct. 31, 2008
(offline)
Make sure you list yourself on thewebcomiclist.com, belfrycomics.net, frumph.net, and other such sites.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:29PM
Naughtelos at 4:28PM, Nov. 10, 2008
(offline)
The way I see it, there are two types of advertising, active and passive.

Active: This is what I'd recommend doing to get your comic off the ground. Comment and forum post whenever you get the opportunity. Participate in community events, Weigh in, Make friends, get exposed. If they see you, they will come.

Passive: This is the ideal type of exposure you want: Your comic's fun to read, you like making it, you keep a steady update schedule, and people will start to stumble upon your comic. If it's good, they'll fave it, and your viewers will flood back every time you update. Also, Exist!, so long as you don't give up hope, the longer you're on Drunk Duck, and the larger your archive, the more hits you will get.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
Tacster002 at 7:28PM, Nov. 10, 2008
(offline)
basically, what everyone's been saying. good things come to those who wait, patience is a virtue, etc. etc. I actually just started a comic myself and am anxious to get readers, but I have to contain myself and hope advertising comes through over time ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:06PM
SplashPage at 8:59AM, Nov. 11, 2008
(offline)
Everyone so far has been pretty much hitting the nail on the head. Ultimately it's all about casting out a net as wide as you possibly can to pull people into your comic and then waiting.

One thing you might want to try though is working with communities outside of DD. Set up accounts for your comic on places like myspace or comicspace. Create a profile with some teaser art and a link to your comic. If your work seems appealing enough people will head over to check it out.

You can even make a trailer for your comic and put it up on Youtube. I did that using Microsoft Movie maker, the default program that comes with Windows. You can't get a more low tech editing system than that, but it turned out well enough and even got me some traffic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved