Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

how to get out my slump!!!!!!!!!
that kid yellow at 11:08PM, July 11, 2007
(online)
yeah im at a point where im so fustrated with my drawings and all.I think its my surroundings.but i have not updated my comic in forever.how do you you get out htis kinda of drought
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
Kohdok at 11:36PM, July 11, 2007
(online)
There are several.

try looking around for the “100 subjects challenge”.

Also, doing some stuff on the Fanart thread wouldn't hurt.

If you don't feel like working, just take a quick break, then try drawing 20 minutes at a time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:20PM
bryan at 1:10AM, July 12, 2007
(offline)
You might try listening to a form of music that you've never EVER would have caught yourself listening to and drawing exactly what it makes you think of… often the results can be… ‘interesting’.

Other ideas are: find your favorite indy comic creator and draw an ‘alternative’ page to their comic (different style, etc.), or you could take a walk down a road that you're not well versed in (force yourself to see something new), or you could take your sketch book to the local university and find a nice quiet spot around the campus and do nothing but listen to music and draw… OR (this is a favorite of mine) you could goto the ‘children’s literature' section of a library and checkout a few of the books… take them and adapt them into a darker story than they intended (you should DEFINITELY try it with ‘Where the wild things are’, lol).

Anywho… that's all I can think of right now. Good Luck, a muse is tough to find.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM
Darth Mongoose at 3:08AM, July 12, 2007
(online)
The worst thing you can do is try over and over to draw something that keeps going wrong, you'll only get frustrated. Try approaching the thing you want to draw from a new direction, or just go off and draw something different altogether. As the above people said, drawing fanart and stuff can really help, especially drawing fanart of characters who are nothing like the kind of characters you usually draw, or who are particularly detailed and challenging.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
cetriya at 10:34PM, July 12, 2007
(offline)
I tend to use an example of a goal I want acheive. usually its a creator that I like that have done something that I want to do. Its acheviable but not a small step. for example, instead of doing a 1 page illustration, try doinging a smaller comic. Do it all in one setting/month at most.

then go around and show it to your friends for the sake of vanity(only show it to those who you know will say a possitive thing). With all the good vibe you get lots of motivation to go your comic.

Also, if you have not update your comic in like, months, then just restart it over, but improve on it and get all the redo pages done in 1/3 the time.

Well, thats how I did it. I even found out that it's not good to take breaks or else I wont feel like going back to the same project.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
that kid yellow at 10:44PM, July 12, 2007
(online)
thanks guys i just updated and im happy im back in the grove
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved